HMS Victory by gjdale - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1:90

Hi Grant,

Spiders would well happy with a web with that many lines mate, she looks absolutely superb.

I know your not quite finished but I for one would like to thank you for the tutorials and all the hints and tips that you have shared along the way.

Drive carefully, mind them roo's and hopefully we'll speak soon.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi all,

Another trip to Sydney this weekend meant not much time in the shipyard, but on the plus side, I was allowed to go back to my favourite toy store (Carbatec) and buy the 10" bandsaw I'd been eyeing off! :)

We came home on Saturday night, so I did get to turn to in the shipyard for a while today.  Managed to finish off and install the Driver Boom and Gaff.  No particular difficulties here. The kit plans were close again, and only needed a little modification with the assistance of Longridge.

Here are some overall shots of the day's work:

post-242-0-72572100-1397390106_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-73045900-1397390113_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-24001600-1397390122_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-58013300-1397390126_thumb.jpg

It's on to Bow lines next, then Sheets, Tacks and Braces.  I'm taking a few days off work from Easter through to Anzac Day, so will end up with a 10 day break.  Hopefully, this will give me the time I need to finish off the running rigging.  Then it will be Boats, Anchors and housekeeping only left to go.  Did I say "only"???????   :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

She's looking terrific, Grant.  And I like the plan down to the finish line.

And congrats on the promotion, Commodore!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Beautiful work. Your next build should be "a piece of cake" by comparison.

This is the most intimidating model ship (imo). I've always been so in awe of builders of this one. Very nice build. It's also a gorgeous ship, one which I have had the privilege of boarding back in the mid 90s. Super nice work Grant.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thank you all for the kind words and encouraging comments.

John (Neptune) - welcome back mate.  I think you just need to grab the bull by the horns and leap in.  Perhaps re-starting a build log here will give you the impetus needed to get cracking. ;)

Ben - I know exactly what the next project will be, but you'll just have to wait and see........... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks again for all the kind words and also for all the "likes".  It's been a while since I've updated the log, partly because I haven't been home much, and partly because progress shots of rigging gets pretty monotonous after a while.  Anyway, the big news is, that having had the Easter weekend plus a few extra days of purely "me time", the rigging is at last complete!

Doin' the Happy Dance!   :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

But of course it wasn't all plain sailing to get there.  As we know, there have been a few modifications to the kit instructions, plans and parts required along the way.  So this post will show a couple of these, and then I've got a ton of photos of the completed rigging that I'll post in separate posts shortly.  That should keep you know who happy for at least a week! :)

First up, the Spiders.  These are metal straps that hold the block for the aft end of the Main course sheets.  The kit supplied parts were made of a soft and brittle metal that basically crumbled as soon as I tried to insert a block in the looped end.  No real drama here. After some earlier experience in making deadeye straps, the process was basically the same.  Form the shape with some brass wire, silver solder, blacken and there you go.  Here's a pic showing my two home made versions on the left versus what remains of one of the kit ones (the other was in several pieces): 

post-242-0-42974900-1398240344_thumb.jpg

Next up, the Clue/Sheet/Tack block arrangement for both Main and Fore courses.  A relatively simple arrangement, though I decided to add shoulders to the Clue blocks.  You can see these in the photo.  The more observant of you will note that the shoulders are at the wrong end of the block! Doh!  :o  No problem, I fixed this before final fitting.

post-242-0-41205800-1398240347_thumb.jpg

As I was studying the plans and reading the equivalent section in Longridge, I realised that the kit had taken a major shortcut, that had I realised, I could have fixed easily during the hull construction stage.  Fixing it at three-quarters of the way through the rigging stage proved a little more challenging.  I am referring to the through-hull sheave blocks for the Main course tack and the Fore course sheet.  The kit directions would have you simply drill a hole in the ships side and poke a line through.  Not good enough! says I.  Making up the sheave blocks was fairly simple - I made these up in a gang, using some scrap timber and some brass rod for the sheaves themselves:

post-242-0-73968400-1398240350_thumb.jpg

So how do you insert these into a completed hull, with lots of rigging already in place?  Well, you just start hacking away don't you? What could possibly go wrong?  :blink:

To be honest, I thought long and hard before I started this round of surgery.  Even after I made up the sheave blocks, I almost chickened out.  But then I remembered the stern re-build and how well that turned out.  So on I went.  First step was drilling a series of holes around the outline of where the sheave block would fit:

post-242-0-56984500-1398240355_thumb.jpg

Then it was time to hack into it with a small key-hole type saw in the Exacto:

post-242-0-64175200-1398240359_thumb.jpg

About now, you're probably thinking "he's nuts!" - yep, so was I........

But a little further work with a file, and it's not looking so bad:

post-242-0-37014900-1398240367_thumb.jpg

Then it's fit the sheave blocks into their new home:

post-242-0-26159200-1398240373_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-41003500-1398240379_thumb.jpg

A touch of filler around the outside, and a lick of paint and it's done!  :)

post-242-0-83102700-1398240384_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-67948300-1398240390_thumb.jpg

The lead for the Main course Sheet through the Quaterdeck bulwark is supposed to be through a lead lined hole, but the kit again just indicates the hole...  This was a simple fix by cutting a piece of brass tube and blackening, then inserting in the hole.  No photos of this in progress, but you might be able to pick it out in the following posts.

The next three posts will show in order: some overall shots of progress to date, some close ups of the rigging, and some close ups of the launch in place on the skid beams.

I'm well satisfied with my "long" weekend's work.  I still have to make up eleventy gazillion rope coils (and yes, that's the right number - I counted them  ;) ), make up some anchors, fit the quarter davits, and make some more boats.  I've decided that I'll make a Pinnace to join the Launch on the skid beams, and two Sea Cutters to hang from the quarter davits.  I think that boat making will be the next task - it will be nice to be making sawdust again instead of macrame!

In this, and the next two posts, I'll show some overall progress shots.  I decided that to celebrate the occasion of completing the rigging, it was time to try and take some decent photos.  So I bought some sheets of light blue cardboard from the local art supply shop (having read somewhere here that light blue provides the best background for ship photos), and made up a temporary photo booth.  Of course before I could do that, I had to completely clear off and clean the shipyard table too (an added bonus)!

I experimented a bit with camera settings, so the quality varies a bit, but here goes;

post-242-0-96186500-1398242011_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-74632200-1398242016_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-47333800-1398242021_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-01811700-1398242027_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-19171400-1398242032_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-08963200-1398242037_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-05273100-1398242043_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-70810600-1398242048_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-08105900-1398242055_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-78917900-1398242059_thumb.jpg

This series of photos shows some close-ups of the rigging.  I wanted to try to capture some of the "busy-ness" of it all, especially under the tops and around the forecastle.

post-242-0-45895900-1398242283_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-25864700-1398242289_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-55898800-1398242294_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-64004200-1398242299_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-00292200-1398242305_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-34091900-1398242310_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-46795300-1398242315_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-66847600-1398242321_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-23227800-1398242327_thumb.jpg

In this final series of shots, I wanted to show some views of the Launch on the skid beams. I fitted a couple of eye-bolts to the keelson of the boat and attached the lifting gear, to show the boat in the process of being readied for launching.  I haven't yet tied off the tackle falls, in case I change my mind about this, or some of you have better ideas for this aspect.

post-242-0-46058200-1398242407_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-00881300-1398242413_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-78057600-1398242418_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-63911100-1398242424_thumb.jpg

This last shot shows quite clearly the Fore course sheet and the Main course tack passing through their respective hull sheave blocks.

post-242-0-23989700-1398242429_thumb.jpg

And that's your lot for now.  Hopefully it won't be too long before I start posting progress on the remaining boats.

What an absolute peach, she's looking superb mate. Great photos and good background colour mate, very well done.

Nice job on the sheaves, unfortunately the kits do drop this detail which is a great shame because it's such an important detail.

As far as the Tackle Falls go I really cant see where you could put them other than where you have already placed them. As a suggestion, you could make up a pulley system on the upper companionway where the falls could be pulled along the walkway horizontally, attached by a hook for easy removal. That would not be accurate to the ship but it may be a thought, but do really want to go down that avenue, personally I wouldn't. 

Good luck with the boats mate but I somehow don't think your going to need it.

Looking forward to more pics buddy.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Only one word comes to mind ---- Masterpiece.

Spectacular workmanship, professional photos.......simply beautiful all around.  Great effort on those hull sheaves.  I've included them myself on my latest but never thought to use the brass rod.  Serious note to self :wacko: .

I'll be more than (patiently) looking forward to the finishing touches.  It's been a true privilege following this project down the home stretch and I look forward to your future work.

Well done, mate !!!!!    :10_1_10: 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

What an amazing journey Grant, She's a magnificent piece of historic art that will be a family heirloom for generations.
I highly admire your cutting into the hull, especially at this point in the build, to add the sheave blocks, That must have taken nerves of steel but you've proven that your equipped with those as you've progressed through one of the more complex ships that can be built and came out on top.

I really look forward to your building of the other ships boats. I'm glad you decided to include the cutters. Aren't they clinker built? That should be fun to watch you master. Your building of the first ships boat gave me a whole new appreciation for those small little vessels. I hope to some day attempt a clinker built hull and look forward to learning from your example.

Somewhere, I can feel Nelson smiling.....
I think of his quotes -
England expects that every man will do his duty.
and
Duty is the great business of a sea officer; all private considerations must give way to it, however painful it may be.
--- Horatio Nelson

To an Officer and Gentleman, Thanks for sharing your build with us as it helps MSW and her community immensely to have your archival for future builders and not just those of the Victory. I've taken nearly everything I've learned from seeing the work of others and one of the most important lessons I've learned is that of perseverance and determination. Your Victory is definitely a Victory, Congrats.

Grant, all these plaudits are well founded, be proud mate you've earned it.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hello and congrats are in order for a magnificent build. Just checking in when I heard you had progressed this far. I'll be back in the yard in a while, probably after our trip out west. I'm still watching you guys even though I'm not participating at the time. What's next??? Do you have one picked out? Good luck Bro' ... she's really fine...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Happy Easter Grant, I have taken a few months off - I am just catching up, and about to get back to work in ship building yard. I can see you have been very busy. Beautiful work- I think you are now closer to finishing than me. You will see some posts soon ( I hope).

Thanks for the inspirational pics very very nice

cheers Mike

Grant i have followed your build since i became an MSW member, its been an enjoyable ride watching your build upto completion, Congratulations

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Wow Grant, the pictures do her justice!

I must admit when I saw the one of you hacking holes in the hull for the sheves I was besides myself but you did a great job.

Hint on the next build?? Kit bashing or full scratch?

Ben