The Hayling Hoy 1760 by Stuntflyer (Mike) - 1:48 scale

Hi Mike, I'm a little late, just now I've been able to see all of your log. Great job! Congratulations!!

I have a question: How did you calculate the amount of wood needed? Is there a simple rule or do you calculate by the plans? Like 3 boards of 3", 4 boards of 6", etc.?

Greetings

Mauricio

Thanks, Mauricio!

Most of the wood used on my build went into making the frames. To calculate the amount of wood needed, I first had to cut out all of the paper patterns corresponding to each frame. The patterns were then grouped together according to the thickness of wood needed for those patterns. Once that was done I was able to layout the patterns, paying close attention to the run of the grain, on several sheets of paper. The sheets of paper were the same size as the sheet wood I would be ordering. I figured in a waste factor of 50% for re-do's.

Mike 

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Lovely clean and crisp work  so far Mike.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 3 months later...

Tony,

Right now things are on hold while I work on the Winchelsea.

Mike

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Mike,

Wonder if you could help me a bit.

I've started on this neat little ship and have the backbone completed.

The question I'm looking for an answer to is where did you get your measurements for things like the stepping line?  I'm not finding this on the plans?  Are you just making assumptions?  Or am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shawn

Shawn,

Look again on plan sheet #1. Looks like this. .

796467030_steppingline.thumb.jpg.8aa6c2232b0c72ee451fba07bcc37dd1.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

That's correct, Griphos. The deadwood is reduced from 15" to 12" at stepping line. That would be 1.5" or 1/32" "actual" removed from each side.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

• 2 months later...

Mike - Thank you for being a teacher as well as a builder!  The time you take to explain things is appreciated.

Also, for anyone who might be interested, David Antscherl will be giving a talk on the Hayling Hoy at the NRG conference this year in October at the New Bedford whaling museum.  More information about the conference is on the NRG website.  Hope to see you there!

Mary Van Dahm

NRG Secretary

NRG Office Mgr.

Mary Van Dahm

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mike your doing a very very good job and your log is worth me finding a seat, can some body please bring me a box of popcorn, easy on the salt. I would get it my self but some body will take my seat🥺. A few of your picture's took be back to when I was building Alfred's back bone, dead wood and the stem.  Nice build and looks good. Gary

• 3 years later...