New to all that is

Shoosh

Hello there!

As the title suggests I am new to all that is... model making... ship building...

My partner has had the Heller model for the HMS Victory 1:100 for ages and told me I could build it if I wanted to, I was over the moon!

Until.... I looked at the manual (read: those few pages I thought was going to be a manual of about 200 pages)!!!!!

I am a girl that likes to build stuff and loves a challenge so hey... why not!

I have floored up my own loft, fitted a new kitchen, tiled a floor and fitted a new bathroom without any former knowledge of any of it and it looks great (my future husbands words and he is very picky), so why not have a go at the Victory!

Pretty sure I can do it (if I can figure out which side is witch on a boat lol.

And to be sure I don't have a easy trip on this I have bought an upgrade with etched parts and resin parts like the steps and parts to put in a side entry door.

So peeps... get ready to be amazed by really stupid questions from me!

Welcome to MSW Shoosh, I don't know if it is a build you really want to start with, but at least yo've got something to set your teeth in!! I don't need to get ready, I'm already amazed ... TO start questions, you'd probably want to start a build log, in your case in the Build Logs for Model Kits section. I recomend reading the following Howto. It will make expectations from the admins lighter ;)

Not much more to say then Have a ball, enjoy your build, remember: Stupid questions do not exist.

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Shoosh, welcome to the best website in the Milky Way. In addition to checking out the "How To" parts of the forum, go into the Build Logs for SHIP MODEL KITS section and do a search on "HMS Victory". You'll find quite a few build logs in progress plus many completed builds. Once you see what's entailed you may want to consider an easier ship for a first try at this type of modeling. It's not like plastic models where you simply assemble a bunch of parts. Whatever you decide to do, the people here from all over the galaxy are very helpful and friendly so don't be shy. 

Hello and welcome aboard.  Is Shoosh your real name?

It doesn't matter if you're a beginner or an advanced builder.  This is a great place to learn and share tips and techniques.

As for your build, make sure it has your interest and that you really want to build it.  

That way you'll be more likely to get through the trials and errors.

And when you're ready, feel free to start a buildlog. If needed, you'll find plenty of advise, help and encouragement from everyone.

Enjoy your stay here.  I wish you smooth sailing with our gallant crew.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hey howya goin Shoosh mate, welcome. If you look up the top of the page to the right you will see "Articles Database" click on that and you will see "Framing and Planking" click on that have alook through there it will tell you how to bend wood and how to plank a hull for starts and also watch these two vids, click on "Chuck's planking videos..." title to goto the page.

If you have any question please ask away.    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

TO Cog:

Thanks Cog, or should I say "dank U wel" ;)

And trust me... stupid questions do exist... ask my partner lol

TO Dilbert55:

Thank you Dilbert55 for the super galactic welcome :D

It is a plastic model I am building (the Heller kit)... for now.

Once this one is done in a century or so I will be going for a wooden build as I prefer the look of them and the skill involved but for now to get my head around plastic for me.

To Anja:

Hi Anya, a lot of dutch people here (I am originally from Belgium, the dutch part).

Shoosh is my nickname I got when I first came to England (love got me here) as no one managed to pronounce my name correctly my partner started calling me shoosh (although he said it a lot when I was talking... think he just wanted to shoosh me).

My real name is Sarouchka :piratetongueor4:

To Eddie:

No planking just yet for me, it is the plastic Heller kit I am doing... for now.

Working my way up to some day make a wooden build.

There is no time like the present to jump in to wood its just as easy, don't let anyone scare you from wood models.    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hi Shoosh

It looks like you went to the races, did you win?

Was your prospective husband looking for a handyman as a partner or was that the introductory bonus?

Good luck with your build.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Graag gedaan Shoosh (Your welcome). Stupid questions do exist!?!?!? A universe opens up for me, or is mine tumbling down upon me :huh:

You are right, quite a few Dutchies around, but water and ships seem to attract them ;) Perhaps your husband likes the silence, he must be a silent buider too ... not much sound of tools, etc. I hope you will make a lot of noise building. We will see her finished in no time. There are some marvelous plastic kits build at MSW, although, a lot more modern, like battleships e.a., but you can still learn a lot from those blokes. Some of them are really intricate and when adding PE (photo etch) it gets even more difficult.

Looking forward to your build log

Cheers

Carl

Hi Shoosh....

What the others said... jump in, open a build log for guidance, advice, etc.  

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

TO Eddie:

I will do a wood one some day, it doesn't scare me at all.

Cant wait to be honest but this one first as I promised that to my partner.

TO KeitnAug :

I did go to the races on an invite from one of our clients, I did win... put a 2 pound bet on and came home with £36 so not bad considering it was my first time and I still to this day dont have a clue how those odds things work! I just bet on the horse with the name that sounded the sweetest (as in sugar sweet as I love sugar).

Think the handyman bit was a bonus for him, but do think that I got stamped a keeper when I was here for 3 months and decided to put a floor in his loft ;)

To Cog:

Welcome to my universe Cog! lol

Husband does like silence lol... but he wishes to be a builder to but he is so swamped with work he doesn't have the time to... some day I will make him.

So am I getting this right... I made my build even harder by getting the photo etched parts!? eek!

To Eddie:

No planking just yet for me, it is the plastic Heller kit I am doing... for now.

Working my way up to some day make a wooden build.

Welcome to MSW Shoosh from an old Dutch expat in the USA. Have fun and build that Victory model. I love to watch.  My preference is scratch building, kits are much to difficult for me.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 1 month later...

Think I am going to have to put my model building to one side for a while (about 8 months I think).

Finally fell pregnant, don't worry... it was planned as a long time of IVF was the way to get into this position!

As I have noticed there are some ladies present amongst the members that might be able to advise me on something that might help me...

Do any of you know if you are allowed wood glue and wood stain whilst pregnant?

I figure those are the 2 main things that are needed to build a wooden model (please do correct me if I am wrong).

I know the plastic model is out of the question for now due to the glue and the email paints.

Please, I would love to hear your advise on this.

Congratulations! As far as the issue with solvents and vapors, I would check with your health care provider. That's definitely something you don't want to gamble on.

Regards,

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Congratulations ! 

I have to agree with Chris on the solvents questions. But with all pregnancies one can never be too careful, so best to put the modeling on hold for a while. Also when asking your health care provider about solvents also ask about the woods you are using - the sawdust / vapors given off by wood could have an effect.

So you've been busy building something else entirely ... !!!

Gefeliciteerd/congratulations Shoos. Glad it's planned. It might be advisable to take the glues you want to use on your build with you to show. It makes it easier for the one judging to judge them properly

Edited by cog

Carl

I'll offer congratulations and also just go along with the other recommendations about chemicals and wood being checked with your doctor.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)