French 74-gun ship by matiz - scale 1:56 - Tiziano Mainardi

Hi Tiziano,

I too am building the same model, but in a different scale, 1:48. I am not as experienced a modeler as you are, my workshop is also leaner,  and this is my first such a big and complexed model (all my previous models were from kits). I am struggling along as I go, using your photos you posted on the French forum, as references (and they are a great help!).

I started this build many years ago and about four years ago I returned to this project. I am somewhat behind your model, so your pictures come handy.

Thanks a lot for that blog on the Marine & Modelisme Arsenal website! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, as well as for myself!

I hope to see your pics here as well!

Regards,

Thomas

Welcome Tiz !  Ive been admiring your model on the Ancre site for years - great to have you onboard here.  Along with Gaetan's build - yours is also an inspiration.  My wood has been milled and sits in wait to start this build in 1/48 after completing Confederacy.  

Best,

Chris

Ciao Matiz

I admire your work very much.   What wood are you using for the frames, keel, &tc?

Lucky you living in Toscana!!!   It is one my favorite parts of the world, including the olive oil from Lucca, fenomenale!  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:45 PM, matiz said:

Hi Thomas, i used a tool made with a blade, mounted in the milling machine, a tool For the exterior profile, a tool for the interior profile😊

Thanks Tiziano for the answer. Would it be too much to ask you to post a photo, showing these milling tools made for this purpose? My milling tools are WAY too big to cut such intricate shape. Did you make yours by yourself?

Thomas

Thanks Tiziano for the picture of your milling bit. I think I understand the principle of it, but still have some doubt how it woul actually work on a piece of boxwood (I think ) in practice, and not ruin the piece of wood.

There must be also another cutter shaping the opposite side of this intricate ballusters, am I right?

(But, I don't want to force you to run too much ahead of yourself with your photo blog on this forum. I just study your pics from the French forum, where you are much further ahead with your built. I think I just photo etch in brass this particular details for my model, even though I would much prefer to do it from wood, like you did it).

In any case, I have lots of admiration for your skills with wood and such excellent understanding of ship's anatomy! Hats off!

Thomas