Mahogany Marvels by GPR

I'd like to bring to your attention a few marvelous mahogany boats built by GPR (aka Greg R.). The build threads are on R/C Groups (links below), and indeed the models are operating, and built in the large scale of 1:8.

But they also stand as examples of the research that can go into such models, and the high standard of detail, which is NOT exclusive to a model being operable.

In each case, few or no plans exist for the subjects. Greg needed to visit the originals, work with current or previous owners, and then work out his own plans.

Folks who visited the Manitowoc show a couple years ago will have seen two of these models; Evangeline is new.

Evangeline, Henry Ford's Hacker

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2592838-Evangeline-Scratch-build-of-Henry-Ford-s-Custom-Hacker-Runabout

Lockpat II

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1875686-Lockpat-II-Scratch-build-of-a-custom-Hacker-Streamliner

Thunderbird

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1025991-Thunderbird

a5225737-110-DSC_5669[1].jpg

a4814314-184-Thunderbird%20Flat[1].jpg

a4814323-108-Hacker%20badge[1].jpg

b20170624_105645.jpg

b20170624_105750.jpg

b20170624_110511.jpg

a8133073-222-bDSC_0106[1].JPG

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Model FUNCTION as well as FORM.

Get your boats wet!

• 2 years later...

Pat, they are my kind of models. Not for me the Nelson ships with their ugly shapes and old crock appearance, but I'm the same with veteran cars and 'bikes!  Those models are beautiful. I cannot understand what's NOT to like or why anyone would elect to make a dull old tug when they could have a mahogany and chrome beauty. My current thinking is they like 'em well enough, but can't face the metalwork or getting such a fantastic finish on the woodwork. I love doing both. It's damned paint I hate!

Notice mine is the only response so far.

Martin

Earlier builds:-M.V. Peterna- sand barge made from a Galipoli landings Galeas (first commission)

Miss America X, 1/8th scale-scratchbuilt

Baby Horace III, 1/8th scale-     "

Miss Britain III, 1/12th scale-     "

Riva Aquarama Specials x 2, 1/12th scale-scratchbuilt

Lapstrake Freebody electric canoe, 1/12th scale-"

Albatross speedboat, 1/6th scale, all aluminium, "

Current builds:-

Victorian Racing Cutter Vanity by M.R.Field - scale 1:16 - Radio

• 5 months later...
On 5/2/2020 at 2:15 PM, M.R.Field said:

Notice mine is the only response so far.

Martin

Yes, this site remains "sticks & strings" even though it aspires to be all-inclusive. Most of those modelers wouldn't even bother with this dim corner of the site. 

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Model FUNCTION as well as FORM.

Get your boats wet!

These really are beautiful builds; I wonder how well they hold up in brackish water? 

On 5/2/2020 at 5:15 PM, M.R.Field said:

why anyone would elect to make a dull old tug when they could have a mahogany and chrome beauty

Haha this made me laugh out loud because I think tugboats are really neat 😂, not beautiful like these though.

3 hours ago, Patrick Matthews said:

Yes, this site remains "sticks & strings" even though it aspires to be all-inclusive. Most of those modelers wouldn't even bother with this dim corner of the site. 

Perhaps.. this seems to be more used as a Q&A area.   Look in the Scratch Build area.  If you want to search that area, just use the keyword "Radio" and you should kit a list of all the builds.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful models and wonderful craftsmanship!

The first picture, one of the Lake Tahoe boats?, is an interesting demonstration of  scale effect.   As the size of the model decreases relative to that of the full size prototype the water appears to be more viscous.  Back in the day when they used models in movies to depict sea battles it appears that the ships are sailing through a sea of molasses.

Of course, the viscosity of the water does not change, but the interaction of the boat with the water changes as the boat becomes smaller relative to the prototype.   To overcome this effect the model would gave to be traveling at a speed equal to the prototype speed multiplied by the scale factor; eg. If the model is built to a scale of 1:12 to have the same effect on the water’s viscosity it would have to be traveling 12 times as fast.

Roger

Those are some exquisite examples.  I've only built one, the Painted Racer, but one day plan to build a proper one (unpainted).  As far as old tugs go... there is a certain beauty to their utilitarian design and they are quite fun when put to work on the water.

Amos

Current Build: Occre Essex Whaler (1/60)

Past builds: Amati Coca (1/60, 1st static ship) Little Shelley Foss (1/45) * Dumas Jenny Lee (1/32)* Dumas Painted Racer (1/8)* Dumas Ace Sloop