Mystery Model - Question for Moderators

I have a question for the moderators. In 1975 when I was 23 years old, someone gave me a model ship kit which I built and still have. I did a pretty lousy job of building it, as I had no idea of what I was doing and it's currently in poor condition. I have scoured the internet trying to discover what model it is. I cannot find anything that appears even similar. My question is this, can I post a picture of it on this forum to see if anyone recognizes it? My concern is that I don't know whether it's a Chinese knock-off or not and I don't want to cause any trouble by posting it if it turns out it is. But now that I'm seriously interested in this hobby, my curiosity about this old model is growing. Many thanks,

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

stuff you built 40 years ago would be of no problems nowadays. besides, i don't think that Chinese knock offs even existed by then...

but then, i am no moderator. maybe they will have different idea

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

So here's the model I was referring to. I don't know who the manufacturer of the kit was and I don't know what ship it is or if it's an actual ship at all. As I mentioned I built it in 1975. Somewhere deep in my reptilian brain the name Black Swan is lurking, but that could be a false memory where I'm confusing the name Black Pearl with the fact that there is a swan on this model.

I don't recall much about building it, but I do remember that the spars all came as square stock, and as a complete novice I was upset that they expected me to do something as outrageous as round square stock. At the time I was still going to school and we lived in a tiny walk-up apartment in Toronto. I built it on a folding TV table and with almost no tools.

If anyone is able to shed any light on this model, I would be really interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!.

David

DSCN1098.JPG

DSCN1099.JPG

DSCN1100.JPG

DSCN1101.JPG

DSCN1102 (Custom).JPG

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

I did some creative Googling...  brick walls everywhere it seems.

Looking at what's on the bow "art".... I'd go with Black Swam.  But, it does have a lot in common with the old Mayflower model. dont-know.gif.dd0aba53d1678ea3541632b75d3833b2.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

9 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Looking at what's on the bow "art".... I'd go with Black Swam

Marc is about as close as you can get. Amati has a Black Swan not exact but maybe an updated version (morphing sounds good)

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Thank you all for the input. I'm debating right now whether or not to repaint and re-rig it.

David

I think you're right Bill. There's a certain integrity in its imperfection that would be lost if I re-did it. My grandfather was a Toronto firefighter and after he retired, my dad got possession of his leather fireman's hat. Its condition was a bit beaten up and my dad thought it was a good idea to freshen it up with a coat of shiny black paint! My brother has the hat now and while it's still a wonderful keepsake, to a large extent its beauty, meaning and value have been largely compromised by its shiny black surface. I think maybe I'll leave well enough alone.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Good decision, David.

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren