Hello all from the USA!

Hello all,

I have spent a great deal of time wandering around this wonderful site and viewing the fantastic builds and reading the very helpful hints and tips posted. It is a joy to read about and view your various projects. You are all exceptional craftspeople and true artists and seem like a very friendly and helpful bunch. So I figured that it was time that I finally introduce myself and to quit watching from the shadows and to start participating.

I have always wanted to try my hand at wooden ship modeling but just never felt that I had the skill or the talent for it (...I am still not convinced LOL!).  Sailing ships such as the Canadian and American fishing schooners (especially the Canadian Bluenose and Bluenose II ships) of the early to mid 1900's have always fascinated me. So elegant and majestic in my opinion. In addition, the warships of the Napoleonic era have always interested me.

With that said and heeding the advice posted in various places on this website, I have selected my first model that I believe should (...should...) be relatively simple for my first attempt:

IMG_20170629_235857.jpg

Its a Mini Mamoli 1:135 solid hull H.M.S Bounty. It's a small model ship, somewhere in the 11.5 inches in length by 9 inches in height size range (give or take). Despite its smaller size though it seems quite detailed! lots of small bits and bobs. The plans certainly are quite daunting and a tad vague (a LOT vague to be perfectly honest). But patience and careful studying will hopefully clear up any confusion. I need to pick up some supplies before I begin as well as obtain some reference materials. But I am excited and eager to begin!

Thank you all for taking the time to read my introductory post. Thank you as well for having me here.

Kindest regards,

Don

A.k.A Bluenose Fan     

Welcome Don.  Please start a build log in the kit section and ask away. There are many here who will be happy to answer any questions you may have.  I'm sure someone around here has built this in the past. 

Hello Don and welcome aboard, Glad to have you join in with us.

This is a great place to learn and share tips and techniques.

Good luck with your Bounty, take your time and have fun.

When you're ready, feel free to start a buildlog.

If needed, you'll find plenty of advise, help and encouragement from everyone.

I wish you smooth sailing with our gallant crew.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Welcome Don,

You have come to the right place for sure. I'm on my first build too. That looks like a fun build--lots of detail work. Good luck with it.

Mark

Seattle, WA

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

Hello Don

A warm welcome form South of the Border. We all started with a first kit and many of us felt nervous on our first attempts. Some of us (I know I do :) ) have horror stories telling the mishaps and frustration of taking an advanced model as a first project, so I think you are on the right track with your choice. As has been said, start a build log as soon as you get your work table ready to start!

Best regard

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW Don! Best of luck to you on your first build. 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild