Chesapeake Bay Flattie by Estoy_Listo - FINISHED - Midwest Products - 1:32 - SMALL - First Build

Greetings, all

I haven't built a model in years, so the Flattie seems like a perfect kit to start with. I've already begun the build, and I'm enjoying it very much. It's great to be able to return to model making after building some patience and perserverance I lacked as a kid. Very rewarding  

Speaking of patience and perserverance--I have no experience w/ social media, and I'm still trying to figure out how to manage getting pictures from my phone to the log.  I've got the pics, but but darned if I can figure out the rest of it.  So here goes--

I believe Midwest has stopped selling this model, but I found one at a good price on Ebay. The kit had been opened and the parts had been seperated from the sheets, but I figured that if I had the plans, I could replace any missing pieces. As it turned out, the kit arrived complete, with all pieces present and labled.  So off to the hobby shop for supplies.  It's fun going to there w/ money in your pocket, unlike the old days when the best I could do was pilfer the old man's razor blade.  Boy, did my fingers take beating. 

20170627_101856.jpg

20170627_102703.jpg

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

midwest sold off the model end of their business.......I forget who bought it.   I have this kit too.....I'm at the step of making the mast hoops.   I'm not happy with their method,  and have been trying different methods to make them.   of course,  I've gotten caught up with my other model builds,  and it went back into the box.  I'll bring 'er back out one of these days.   it's a cute little kit.......you'll have fun with her.   I also built their Maine lobster boat.......another nice kit......tricky,  but nice none the less ;)     I have logs on both of them.

I'll enjoy following along...........welcome to MSW  :cheers:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Yes, you should have fun with this. I have always described Midwest models as being just about as close to fool-proof as a beginner's kit can be.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

It truly is a beginner's kit.  Great instructions--they don't assume a thing, and the materials were nicely cut. 

I goofed on one bulkhead by simply fitting the slots together w/o checking the plans.  Big mistake. Fortunately I'd only spot-glued it, and it was easy to correct. I'm ready to "plank," as they call it in the instructions.  I've got dozens of pictures--not that you'd want to see them all. I'll figure this picture thing out eventually, but I' have to say, it's taking up a lot of build time.  

Regards,

Mark Anderson

Seattle

First builds:

Here you go--nice little build. Everything fits. For me, the best part of any build is when you can see its form and still see into its heart

Flattie to date.jpg

First builds:

she's look'in good :)   now she needs her panels.   I was going to do some extra detail work with the centerboard,  but I figured I'd try and keep it simple.......I've got a knack for making mountains out of molehills :D  :D   ask anyone here........they'll tell ya! ;)  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Nice looking kit, the plans look good. I like how they call it the 'Success series'.

Have fun,

Glenn

Current Builds

Scottish Maid, V108 Torpedo boat

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

HMS Shark (Sergal), Sirene (Coral), Armed Pinnace (Panart), Etoile Schooner (Billings)

That's a nice little boat! It looks like you can have a lot of fun with that kit.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Hey Popeye, I've followed a number of your posts and logs. I've learned a lot from you,  especially the Flattie build. I recall that you and Dee Dee were exchanging ideas for making hoops.  

I had an "adventure in clamping" in which I maybe used a little too much force, clamping at the bow.  I split the deck and lost some wood from the hull. (Boy, those clamps sure do fly!)  

I repaired it the same way I've repaired wallboard. I enlarged and squared off the hole in the hull and glued in some bracing, then I cut and glued a filler piece. I'm satisfied w/ the results, but it will take some filler to fix, and it may take some effort to get the stem to fit.  We'll see.   

I started the mast and boom while waiting for the glue to dry. Drilling a series of 1/16 in inch holes in an 1/8 inch gaff gave me pause, but it worked out great.  Surprising for me.  The six inch tri-square that I bought at the local box store helped immensely.  It was a good purchase.  I got a strong six inch rule w/ clear markings, a tri-square, and a scribe that I used to center the hole.  And like I say, it helped me drill straight and true.  

Thanks to those who have stopped by and who have wished me well.

Mark

5962361655276_Drillingboom.thumb.jpg.0d60084219fbe4e7c32f770cc61b9647.jpg

damage.jpg

brace damage.jpg

20170709_062836.jpg

New tools.jpg

First builds:

Nice little kit Mark, you'll be onto a mega kit in no time!!!

Take care and good luck

Cheers

Nigel

Current Build - HMS Victory, Caldercraft - scale  1:64,  started September 2021

Cutty Sark, Constructo - scale 1:115, finished August 2021

HMS Bounty, Constructo - Scale 1:50 - First wooden kit build, finished April 2019

I did a similar boo boo with my first build,  the Nordkap.   I ended up making a new part to replace what I was working with.   most of the time,  the broken part can be set back in place,  but the repair you made will be just as effective.   you may want to add a narrow piece at the end to even off the port side panel........when you add the part they call the bow stem,  there may be a gap there where it attaches to the stiffeners.   filler...sand,  and your good ;)    yea,  I need to get back to her.......I've been sidetracked with other projects

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Popeye's right--filler is your friend.  

In looking around that blog I've found that folks use a lot of different brands and types of filler.  I used a balsa filler that I bought on line. Very light weight, as you would expect, and easy to apply and sand.

puttied.jpg.2e99b293c2804991196d179b70857f99.jpgL

Looks pretty crude

I sanded the stem to shape and size, and was pleased to find that the bow looked pretty good.  I applied another course of filler, but this time I smoothed it with a damp brush.  

5970b858d3629_smoothingoutfiller.jpg.68fcfd425c0847e0dfbbfe4783145c0a.jpg

5970b8b6a119d_stemsanded.jpg.47ec5165ee6bfa0f19a5c0d3b6a3ed67.jpg

Looks better.  

I added the hatches and tidied her up, and now on to the paint.  I found a lot of useful information in the painting section.  The instructions said to paint w/o sealing--it would give a more natural appearance.  I was afraid that "natural" might mean "fuzzy," so I decided to seal it w/ a 50/50 mix of Elmer's and water.  Turns out it didn't raise any fuzz at all--I was surprised by that, and wondered what I'd done wrong this time.  Maybe nothing.  Maybe that's just how it is.  

5970b98a8c11b_readytopaint.jpg.89bee75364799162efe3159657d88433.jpg

Ready to paint

I"ll be using Vallejo brand paint, at the recommendation of a number of you, thinned to a paintable consistency--whatever that is. I've got scrap wood and time in equal amounts.  Looking forward to practicing my painting this weekend.  

Thanks for checking in.

Mark  

First builds:

nice fix! :)    looks really good.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 11 months later...

A year later, I'd say it was about time to finish the build. (Moving from a four bedroom house to a 650 SF apartment is a serious disruption, and this Spring we've been getting out and exploring our new hometown of snohomish

5b4ba2bce9114_moldingproblem.thumb.jpg.dbe67e2cdb1c442f098a1954b1e431f1.jpg

I spent a lot of time painting--or rather, learning to paint.  I used filbert style brushes which worked well.  I thinned the paint to a workable consistency and just did the best I could. Getting even color w/o brush strokes is a real challenge, but I did the best I could.

I got bogged down attaching the molding. I was using CA for the first time, and I goofed in aligning them between the deck and hull. I tried to "color in" the gaps w/ a fine-tipped pen but that made things worse, and as often happens w/ bad ideas, I kept at it until there was nothing left but to strip them off and start over, which led to re-painting the hull and then, finally, the superstructure. This gave me an excuse to experiment with tints and shades and mixing colors.  I finally settled on a color and got it done.  

Rigging was fun. It took a while to develop a hand for working with the blocks--several of which I lost, replaced, then lost again. At length all was assembled and in working condition. The rigging thread looked too much like thread, so l bought some proper rigging from Syren. What a difference! A terrific upgrade.

So here I am. My first model finished. I'm pleased with the results. I had a lot of fun, and I made some rookie mistakes,  but I'm pleased with the results. 

Edited by Estoy_Listo
clarifying and correcting

First builds:

Thanks, Jim and Carl.  

The Admiral approves too, describing the work as "elfy."  Elfy, as in the Keebler Elf.  She was drawn to the details, below.  

I'm back to puzzling out how to download pictures from the cloud. (Don't mean to publish them so large.) I'll figure it out eventually.  I really enjoyed building this, and I'm quite pleased with the results. There are many ways it can be improved, but that takes time and practice.  I can't wait to start another

.Rigging.thumb.jpg.6078c5009ab0567ef3b633523c0e4e91.jpg 

cabin.thumb.jpg.fb16eb4b4cdb49630ad0963df82b3348.jpg

mast.jpg

Having problems removing an extra picture.  If I'm successful, then good for me. If not, then thank you for your patience. 

cabin.jpg

Edited by Estoy_Listo

First builds:

you did a great job!   you've built a splendid model :)   the color scheme and overall looks is very pleasing to the eye.   it's a normal reaction, you know.......we all think we could have done more to our models.   but in the end,  they are as they are.......we focus on our next one,  adding in more,  just to say the same thing about it at the finish line ;)    you finished your first one......that is a milestone all in itself!   I truly hope there is a second project.......and others.

congratz on a model well done! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

you have sawdust under your nails now........can't call ya a newbie anymore  :D    these models aren't to be built in a week end.......they take time,  and that's the beauty of them.   I recall in my younger days,  when I could do plastic car and plane models in a week.   where was the fun in that?   larger scale models took over and that's when I found the Revell 1:96 scale kits....loved them.   but I'd look at a wooden kit and shy away,  thinking that I could never build one.   it's too bad that it had to be in my 50's,  that one of them would get thrown in my lap!  now I can't get enough of 'em! :) 

you've inspired yourself.......I can't wait to see your next one......    

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 9 months later...
  • The title was changed to Chesapeake Bay Flattie by Estoy_Listo - FINISHED - Midwest Products - 1:32 - SMALL - First Build