1. 1. been there on a ship?

• Shellback
    • Golden Dragon
    • Golden Shellback
    • Blue Nose

JPAM   

have you crossed any of these lines? let's hear your stories. :piratebo5:

a Shellback  has crossed the Equator on a ship 

Golden Shellback has crossed the point where the Equator crosses the International Date Line on a ship

Golden Dragon has crossed the International Date Line. on a ship

a Blue Nose has crossed the Arctic Circle on a ship

Omega1234, donrobinson and vaddoc like this

davyboy   

Jim,I think he's referring to the crossing the Equator ceremony on board a ship. 

Dave :dancetl6: 

donrobinson and JPAM like this

Thanks Dave!  I was driving myself crazy (short trip these days) trying to think what those four names had in common with any line--Bearing line, Line of position, Course line, Breeches line, Life line, etc. I think the Equator should properly have been called that or at least 0 deg Latitude as it's not really a line but a reference point for a distance from or to.  The closest I've ever been to it is probably Curaco in the southern Caribbean.

donrobinson likes this

maturin   

Its all maritime traditions...   line-crossing ceremonies.   Former Navy, Merchant Marines... anyone who has worked aboard ship will know right away.   Shellback (Equator), Golden Dragon (International Date Line), Golden Shellback (intersection of the date line and equator), and Blue Nose (crossed the Arctic Circle).  

Unfortunately you can only vote on one...  

JPAM, donrobinson and mischief like this

The Shellback for maritime personnel who have crossed the Equator.

The Golden Shellback for maritime personnel who have crossed the point where the Equator crosses the International Date Line.

The Domain of the Golden Dragon for maritime personnel who have crossed the International Date Line.

The Order of the Red Nose (Domain of the Penguin) for maritime personnel who have crossed the Antarctic Circle.

The Order of the Blue Nose (Domain of the Polar Bear) for maritime personnel who have crossed the Arctic Circle.

JPAM, CaptainSteve and mtaylor like this

I spent many years at sea, and only lines I ever heard of were equator & int. date line, but none of the names given above apart from Shellback and Blue Nose!

donrobinson likes this

JPAM   

sorry guys, i should have made it more clear. and i forgot to put Red Nose. (the thing did not give me an option to let ppl vote more than once) 

mtaylor and donrobinson like this

On 7/7/2017 at 1:36 PM, JPAM said:

sorry guys, i should have made it more clear. and i forgot to put Red Nose. (the thing did not give me an option to let ppl vote more than once) 

Well, that;s kind of worthless if you can only check 1.  How are we salty dogs supposed to show off?

mtaylor, donrobinson, JPAM and 3 others like this

Kevin   

I may have passed most of those lines quite a few times lines with and without ceremony having served in the RN for 30+ years, but sorry I have never heard it being called that

JPAM and donrobinson like this

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:44 PM, Kevin said:

I may have passed most of those lines quite a few times lines with and without ceremony having served in the RN for 30+ years, but sorry I have never heard it being called that

Are you saying that you were in the Royal Navy for 30 years, don't remember crossing the equator?  Or don't remember it being called "Shellback"

davyboy, Kevin, donrobinson and 1 other like this

Kevin   
12 minutes ago, Chuck Seiler said:

Are you saying that you were in the Royal Navy for 30 years, don't remember crossing the equator?  Or don't remember it being called "Shellback"

Shelback, but then again I never found the fascination in celebration crossing anything

Chuck Seiler likes this

Aw, C'mon!  I thought you guys were all about tradition.  Wasn't it fun crawling thru the garbage chute and kissing King Neptune's belly? :cheers:

donrobinson, Kevin and JPAM like this

CDR_Ret   

The voting tool needs to allow more than one choice. I have the privilege of completing three of them.

I've crossed the Arctic Circle numerous times aboard the Canadian Coast Guard ships George R. Pearkes (1989) and Sir Wilfrid Laurier (1997-2003). Fun times!

Peter

mtaylor and Canute like this

Cathead   

I've crossed the Arctic Circle, but only by land. Fun question, though, does it count if you cross the Arctic Circle by river craft, such as on the Yukon River in Alaska?

mtaylor and Canute like this