Adding Weight to the Keel of a non-RC Model

Julie Mo

When I pick up the hull of my model it just feels too light.  When I imagine it being complete, it would seem correct that anyone picking up the model (like me) would need to feel weight in the keel. 

I am about to glue on the deck and I am having a hard time proceeding without putting some weight in the keel area.  Just something that would add weight in the bilge/keel area.

Has anyone ever done this?  If so, what did you use and did it meet your expectations?

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

Will anyone be picking up the model? Or will it be firmly, permanently, and safely mounted on pedestals?

If pedestals are in the model's future, spend some time on internal structure to accept the mountings... and lose little sleep on the weight.

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Model FUNCTION as well as FORM.

Get your boats wet!

14 hours ago, reklein said:

Try pouring some shot into the hull till it feels right. Then solidify it by pouring in some epoxy.

This is what I was thinking, Bill. 

I really don't want to permanently secure the model to a stand.  I think I will be wanting to pick it up on occasion.  And I think being able to take it off the stand will help in dusting it off.  There is no glass enclosure in my crystal ball. 

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

14 hours ago, jud said:

Even secured in a solid mount, lowering the center of gravity is always a good plan, never know when that might save Her from being tipped over and falling to the floor.

jud

The stability factor was another thing I was thinking regarding adding ballast.  But I don't even know where it can go once it's completed.  Right now I don't think the model will fit on any table we have.  Sitting in the makeshift kit stand, the top of the mast is 61.5" (156.5 cm) and we only have 8' ceilings.  We will probably have to buy a new house with 10' ceilings now. :rolleyes:

Julie

Display her afloat with sails bellowed out hard and healed over about 30 °. a wider base with the healing over would shorten the needed height and allow for deck features to be prominent. Now 61.5 inches, if leaned over 30° she would be 53.26 inches high, making her 8.24" shorter if the lower pivot point was held, something to think about and add some action to the display. Healed away from the viewer would clear the view of the deck and be low enough to see detail. Be watching to see how you choose to display. The simulated water could be opaque and allow the keel to be seen and if it were an opaque solid, the center of gravity would be low enough with enough mass for the cat to climb the rigging without an upset.

jud