US Brig Syren by Heronguy - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

IMG_2798.jpg.0f5688b1ca389bf83b45e0957516466f.jpgIt's just the basswood that came in the kit.  I sometime just soak for a very short time and then work on it with the plank bender.  In this case i've also tried long soaks before plank bender.  I think I'm just pushing it a bit too fast as I end up with creases the tight bend.  Also if I try to clamp the piece while it is soaked my spring clamps tend to dent the piece.  

I think your advice to go slow - more than I short soak and bending session is my next attempt.  

Edited by Heronguy

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Hi Doug,

If you are going to paint the cap rail, it can be done in multiple pieces.  I think mine is comprised of at least 5 pieces.  Once it's painted/sanded/painted/sanded/painted again, no one will ever know it wasn't one piece.  I think I even used a little filler on one of the joints on mine as well.

Alan

I will be painting the cap rail so that sounds like a good solution.  Still it frustrates me a bit that I keep creasing the bends.  I want to slow down and see if I can do it better.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Thanks Dirk.  @donrobinson was recently mentioning how well the beech on his Stefano took to bending.  Your suggestion is appreciated.  I don't have any beech but I'll try to track some down locally.  

Doug

1 hour ago, Dubz said:

I suggest getting a strip of bending beech wood. You will easily achive perfect results!

cheers,

Dirk

Just wondering if you had tried out swiss pear and whether it bends well.  I do have some of it here that I can mill to size if it would work well.

Doug

Thanks for the clarification Dirk.  

Doug

Thanks Jim. I can try that approach. I’ve never tried steam bending as opposed to planking iron (which I suppose comes down to internal steam bending). We even have a small steam cleaner out in the dairy somewhere!

Doug

Hi Doug, 

Not sure if this is helpful but I cut a length, put it in a saucepan and put it on the boil for about a 30 seconds. Then I took it into the shed, got the strip out of the water and slowly rolled it with my thumb over both edges. It broke on the first attempt  because I went too quick but managed to keep it together on my second go.

Peter.

Current Build:     USF Confederacy 1778 - Model Shipways - 1:64

Completed:         US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64

San Francisco Cross Section - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Future build:        HM Granado - Caldercraft - 1:64

LeRenard - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Thanks Peter.  I spent time today experimenting with the wood I had around here (no bending beech to try out though).

I certainly got some better results today using the brief soak and planking iron with SLOW bending - not too slow though as each of these took 2 or 3 minutes

The wood in order from the top of the photos are Swiss pear, jatoba, basswood, walnut and cherry.  After bending I clamped them together (hence the variation in size) and left them for a a couple of hours except for the Swiss pear.

IMG_2817.jpg.304a895d6078b6f1f97db212ef5edc8f.jpg

IMG_2818.jpg.2d9f2622cd65af4541bc774608cc4dda.jpg

The Swiss pear I clamped to the stern of the Syren and let it sit for a few hours before taking it off for the photos

IMG_2815.jpg.6e527a6f26d3b00a3a6621fb7465df28.jpg

I expect the Swiss pear will end up being my stern rail cap.

Doug

Looks good Doug. I too would have thought the swiss pear was going to be the hardest to shape.

Your recent posting in @mikiek's Trajta log was quite timely - where I clamped the pear I have some small indentations.  Following your method I'll do a slight soak/steam to see if the dents will pop up before I have to do any sanding.  Thanks!

Edited by Heronguy

Doug

Keep practising the bending, you will need it when it comes to the waterway or "covering board" on the Stefano. It only involves bending a 1.5 x 7 mm board laterally almost 90 degrees at the stern!!! Check it out. I'm thinking I'll start soaking the board now and wait for you to catch up then see how you tackle this.;):D

Have a Good One

Edited by donrobinson

• 2 weeks later...

I finally decided to attach the stern cap rail and fashion pieces.  This has been a difficult step for me and the results are OK but not completely to my satisfaction.

IMG_2841.jpg.f26cca931d340f11a3d9af65c21910af.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg.a46775644c6ed8e4c2f338500e7bc947.jpg

Doug

I think that looks pretty good, Doug. I wouldn't be too hard on myself. Those hard bits often seem to come out of nowhere when we least expect them, don't they.

David 

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Looks good Doug.

Peter

Current Build:     USF Confederacy 1778 - Model Shipways - 1:64

Completed:         US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64

San Francisco Cross Section - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Future build:        HM Granado - Caldercraft - 1:64

LeRenard - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Hi doug 

Am using a cemacales call salmiakk its norwegian but maby there is something in the store thats works 

its used to get stains, grees etc of cloths etc and its wery good cleaning Windows. 

Take a strake of wood /hardwood an droppe it in the bottel, 

dont forgett to sealer the opening,  it smells strong in the nose😷

5-10 minutts  you kan use the Iron and form it with good resut 

Svein.erik

20180212_064909.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement David, Peter and Richard. 

Erik - I wonder how you found out this works?  A Thomas Edison approach?;)

Doug

• 2 months later...

Since the last post I've planked and painted the inner bulwarks and planked the deck.

IMG_2952.jpg.955688ec2c150e55065a991f708c3638.jpg

DSC_9930.jpg.2e8ca7cb8dfef42be22a7e2fd079ff62.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg.edb6003cbd1d76c8f3bd089941c913cb.jpg

Doug