Trajta by mikiek - FINISHED - Marisstella

I don't know. It depends on how the laptop screen is angled.  I think the first pic may be closer than I thought. After all it's 10-white to 1-green. And it was a light green.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I like green and yellow myself. Approaching painting myself. Wouldn't it be okay to use a semi-gloss, or was that not an option back then?

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Most stuff wasn't shiny. If it was it was probably oiled and mainly things like deck furniture, rails, etc.  I would paint with a flat. If you want no shine then varnish with matte. For a touch of shine try satin. IMO semi gloss is too much.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Often times, any level of gloss on a model does not look good. The real ship might have had some gloss in it, but gloss tends not to translate well through the smaller scale of the model. 

Russ 

I'll try satin first.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Things are winding down on the hull. Other than the oars I believe all the pieces are in. Tomorrow I dust off the lathe and see how many of those nice square walnut sticks I can mess up. On the odd chance that I get on a roll I'll have to remember to taper the mast also.

I'm still on the fence regarding painting the upper hull. If there was some way to try before you buy I'd be all over it. But if it turns into something I really don't like, I'm hosed.

Here she is:

DSC02709.thumb.JPG.c4f101e48fd5bb95018c7c2bb32fa424.JPG

DSC02710.thumb.JPG.1fcd82cb1d72287a19c49511481fcb5d.JPG

DSC02711.thumb.JPG.99393495c49ed15e596d418422d0c65b.JPG

DSC02713.thumb.JPG.6ffc2ba99d86128423593964bd3d9545.JPG

DSC02714.thumb.JPG.f179e33f42213dce3909cba31667cac4.JPG

DSC02715.thumb.JPG.627132b1056e43296edc6fad0b4be005.JPG

Edited by mikiek

Hey Zoran - I forgot to ask. The bow is an odd place for a handrail. What purpose did it serve?

Mr. Mike, please, try with a little bit lighter blue than that one You have is ... (Anyway, the one You have is good already...)... I am with blue ..
Zoran

Hello Zoran - I am still open to coloring the upper hull. I would like to know what we are trying to simulate by doing so. From the build pix that I see (including yours) and from photos of the real boat, it looks like all have a color on the the bottom half, then just the wood on the top half. Did the old manuscript have any references to color? Maybe the coloring thing was something specific to Korcula?

Hello Mr. Mike ... Here are some samples.... Regarding the coloring of this type of a boat, people in the past were using the colours they had in that moment. They were fisherman and the only thing they were worried about was the functionality of the boat...

Zoranaa.jpg.7e6e1980727c02274bdbf10a3e1cd25d.jpgbb.jpg.14ea72891fa2a5cc938c5856ab1085b9.jpgcc.JPG.ca36c23364aa0bf2f97ca45147429954.JPGdd.JPG.5c7efd426f2d066e207fdd5656bb2896.JPGee.JPG.1972d5d69658458024f3490585479ed0.JPGff.jpg.04d986fd0b0b2e8a51762a66ed5363aa.jpggg.jpg.eeeec3031812605e341930409eccaa8e.jpghh.jpg.1109572a7e4ee7e36a090435c561f8d5.jpg

Edited by MarisStella.hr

I like the last one best.

In Dry Dock:

Perfect Zoran! - That half blue boat looks a lot better than I thought. Light blue it will be.

On another note. I began the mast today. I was looking at the rigging and could not tell if the shroud was one rope that went up to the mast, looped around and came back down. Or is it 2 ropes that go up and tie off on the mast? It's also difficult to follow the rope that runs up the mast into the block.

Mr. Mike, all ropes that go from the mast begin with a loop. The shrouds are the separated ropes; each shroud is made individually for itself... The rope with the block goes onto the shrouds, in the end, beginning with a loop as well...

Zoran

In a couple of pictures in the manual it looks like the shrouds are served up near the mast head.

OK Master Zoran - this one is for you, my old friend.

DSC02717.JPG.536a21a04fcbc8cfac8441024887a2f9.JPG

DSC02719.thumb.JPG.dfc3472b1be5bb12d85ce3dcaf55af05.JPG

DSC02721.thumb.JPG.4be4736385bf7420e994e9efdd20444b.JPG

DSC02722.JPG.5f38e42b6a5240e849bd2f3a99db8cb8.JPG

DSC02725.thumb.JPG.3d4e040a4ff9f23c1350375e691b324e.JPG

I think the color in the photos is a reasonable rendition of the real thing. Maybe a little washed out but not much. Since I mixed this color I have to give it a name. I think it will be Almost Baby Blue. That goes along nicely with my Dijon Yellow, Evil Black and Chili Red.

I did give myself a back door on this. If you notice, only the port side is painted. I imagine I'll do the other side when the green paint arrives. You can see one spot where I when past the masking tape and tried to cover up with what is left of the J.A. Green. It doesn't match anymore. More paint should be here tomorrow.

So there you have it.

Edited by mikiek

Well there's no going back now. Blue is on both sides of the boat - I'm committed. I'm still not overwhelmed but I can't complain either. Final hull shots:

DSC02726.JPG.385333ab8f225f696deb1ef02286558b.JPG

DSC02727.JPG.70b7c15dd0cef7dba608a29498225f83.JPG

DSC02728.JPG.46c02fe7521e6d477b0e8651ae60f36c.JPG

I've started slinging string also. Rigging isn't overly complex although there is a sail to mess with on this build. I'm stumped on one item though. There's a block (the only block in the kit) that hangs down from the masthead, almost like  pendant. Looking at both the plans and photos in the manual - I cannot follow the string from the block down and see where they go. So @donrobinson or @MarisStella.hr when you see this let me know please.

DSC02730.thumb.JPG.6851ad7509d7e05de843426636717264.JPG

DSC02731.JPG.b4851e6165911fc4f5c98b57a1a7e858.JPG

Edited by mikiek

Hi Mr. Mike ... one end of the rope that runs through the block is attached to the yard and the other one is tied to the bitt at the mast... Then there is a parral made of rope. It is just a simple loop thet tightens the  rope from the yard to the mast. This way the yard is tightened to the mast ... ...

Waiting for more ... this is ok !! :) 

Zoran

Man I feel dumb now. I see it perfectly after you described it.

I guess it is time to make the GIANT yard.

Standing rigging is finished :D ^_^ :P

DSC02733.JPG.c0edd92545da3ce710816a0173325e7f.JPG

I've put together the yard - 2 dowels that had to be pinned together at the ends. I'm concerned over this. When I pick it up it sags at the joint. I'm trying to think of some way to beef it up.

DSC02737.JPG.499260c44e02c6307f3920baf48a8308.JPG

I'm also trying to make a plan for the sail. It is supposed to have wire at the edges, the edge is folded over the wire and you are supposed to sew it shut. Probably easy enough if I sewed, but I don't. To make it a little worse, the sail has some hems around the edges already. This was beautifully done by Marisstella. So any rookie attempt at another hem is going to really stick out.

I've used fabric adhesives before but as Don reminded me, they have a tendency to spot & stain.

Which leads me to another topic. The last project I did with the adhesive I didn't care about spots or stains. I was using brand new material and I WANTED spots & stains for the weathered look. The sail with Trajta is so well done I feel guilty trying to dirty it up. Not sure I want to. So using adhesive and risking spots could be problematic.  Hhmmmm.

For the stability of the yard, could you cut the joint at an angle to give more surface area for the glue? Then wrap the joint in some brass. I got strips, like 3/32x1/64x18" for next to nothing on amazon.

Sails, could you die them after gluing?

Edited by JustBlowingInTheWind
Addendum

In Dry Dock:

All good ideas Brian. Hadn't thought of brass but did consider coiling some rope around the joint for maybe an inch. Then soaking the rope in some water glue mixture. I even briefly considered lashing the 2 pieces side to side. Nothing is really striking me as the way to go.

You could:

Make a lap joint, when glued then drill some holes in joint to add tiny dowels that would further strengthen joint

Mount pieces in lathe and drill holes in ends to accept a dowel, then glue together

Leave as is, with pin, glue several small strips (.5 mm thick) around diameter of dowel. Then if you wish wrap rope around it in different locations for added strength and looks 

Without changing the length of the entire piece too much I think the last option makes the most sense. I should have used something besides a straight pin - was considering 2 pins but the dowel is not that thick and I was not sure I could drill 2 without splintering the end, Adding a "splint" of sorts and covering it with rope should work. A few more coils evenly spaced over the yard would probably not look too odd.  I think that's the ticket.

Thanks Don!

Hey everyone. I have a couple of sail questions. Will ask @MarisStella.hr  but feel free to chime in. I have pretty much decided to have someone that knows what they are doing hem the sails properly. I'll be paying someone so I want to make sure I have it right so I can tell them.

First off I'm wondering about the outside stitching shown in the pic. Is it supposed to stop there? Why would it not continue over to the corner?

DSC02740.thumb.JPG.01feb6aab024155bd91215b0efbf8cb6.JPG

So does the edge fold over twice? The first time over the wire and then one more after that? Hope that made sense.

DSC02743.thumb.JPG.fd29d57b67fff1373cefeb7aa044ec32.JPG

Maybe I wouldn't hid the rigging:)

I admire your tenacity to go into so much detail.

Edited by JustBlowingInTheWind
Addendum

In Dry Dock:

Hey Brian - I learned on the restore project I did. I had to make sails for that. I just glued the hems - looked OK but not great. The absolutely cool thing was putting the wire into the hems. You can make any type of sail into any shape you want. I was totally impressed with that technique and will use it on any build that I do sails.

I hope paying for someone to do it doesn't end up costing too much. This was too nice of a sail to glue it, and my feeble attempts at hemming would certainly not add anything.

OK - I have beefed up the yard. I'm kicking myself because I forgot to take pix. What I did was take 1/16" square stick and cut 4 pieces and 3/4" long. Then I glued them longways over the joint. After that dried I sanded them down quite a bit, removing maybe 2/3 of the material. Then I took some rope and wound that over the sticks. Finally some watered down white glue was painted over the rope.

I didn't get the yard perfectly straight, there's a little crook in it but you would have to look for it to see it. One thing for sure, it's not gonna bend at the joint anymore. I plan to put a few more windings on the yard to balance the look.

DSC02745.JPG.c498526f05c0ec13ba3f3164e08112da.JPG

DSC02746.thumb.JPG.97ccb85dce745c5c2eaa796ee80c58ce.JPG

I like your answer. You do have to look for the hitch in the line though. Had I not been looking for it I'd have missed it.

In Dry Dock:

Thank you Brian - I think it will all be even less obvious once I put the sail on. It all ties on to the yard so there will be lots more rope around the yard to distract from the windings. And like I said, I won't have to worry about the yard drooping over time. It will not bend at that joint.

The sad thing is I'm kinda done with this build until I can get the sail hemmed. There's an embroidery shop down the road a way. I'm going to see if they can do it.

20 hours ago, mikiek said:

Hey everyone. I have a couple of sail questions. Will ask @MarisStella.hr  but feel free to chime in. I have pretty much decided to have someone that knows what they are doing hem the sails properly. I'll be paying someone so I want to make sure I have it right so I can tell them.

First off I'm wondering about the outside stitching shown in the pic. Is it supposed to stop there? Why would it not continue over to the corner?

DSC02740.thumb.JPG.01feb6aab024155bd91215b0efbf8cb6.JPG

So does the edge fold over twice? The first time over the wire and then one more after that? Hope that made sense.

DSC02743.thumb.JPG.fd29d57b67fff1373cefeb7aa044ec32.JPG

Yes, it should continue... The edge of the sail is to be fold once, and then the second time (so simple)... The stitching is all the trouble, but it is very easy to master (at once I would say) ...

Zoran