Show pictures of your work area

I am probably strange, but I often find pictures of modelers work areas as interesting as the work they are doing.

I have picked up on a number of clever ideas this way and never seem to get tired of viewing how others do what they do, and where they do it.

I have added a few pictures of my area to start and hope others will follow.

JMS

P1010128.JPG

P1000977.JPG

P1010111.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - here is my work area - the first 3 photos are my office area and the others are in the adjacent room - storage room and shipyard.

_DSC4110.jpg

_DSC4111.jpg

_DSC4109.jpg

_DSC4106.jpg

_DSC4107.jpg

_DSC4108.jpg

_DSC4104.jpg

_DSC4105.jpg

_DSC4103.jpg

Paul

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:

Brigantine Phoenix - Master Korabel 1/72 scale

PREVIOUS BUILDS:

HMS Victory - Heller/Imai 1/100 scale

Privateer Rattlesnake - Model Shipways 1/64 scale 

USS Arizona on Dec 7th 1941 - Trumpeter 1/200 scale

IJN Yamato - Nichimo 1/200 scale 

USS Silversides - Trumpeter 1/72 scale 

USS Missouri - Trumpeter 1/200 scale

English Carronade - Mantua 1/17 scale

English Gun Deck - Panart 1/23 scale

Check out my webiste:   www.bishophobbies.com

Hey Paul

Your interests are as varied as mine. I even noticed a train layout. I am into N scale European trains.

I like the display case in the first picture. Can I ask where you got it?

JMS

I had the display case custom built for my office.  Yea - I do have a lot of hobbies - astrophotography, sports cars, pretty much any kind of model building too.  I have a 9 foot shelf HO layout with 7 steam engines.  I guess I like steam engines too.

Paul

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:

Brigantine Phoenix - Master Korabel 1/72 scale

PREVIOUS BUILDS:

HMS Victory - Heller/Imai 1/100 scale

Privateer Rattlesnake - Model Shipways 1/64 scale 

USS Arizona on Dec 7th 1941 - Trumpeter 1/200 scale

IJN Yamato - Nichimo 1/200 scale 

USS Silversides - Trumpeter 1/72 scale 

USS Missouri - Trumpeter 1/200 scale

English Carronade - Mantua 1/17 scale

English Gun Deck - Panart 1/23 scale

Check out my webiste:   www.bishophobbies.com

I've shown this photo of my workshop in a previous thread on the same topic. This was taken last November. The Portland is somewhat further along.

A portion of my 12' x 16' model railroad is seen at the far left. The second photo, shot by Phil Monat, gives you an introduction to the level of detail 

I incorporated over 33 years of construction. Layout has approximately 8' of water front.

John Elwood

IMG_0003_opt(4).jpg

IMG_0007_opt.jpg

I went back into the closet.

I can only dream of having a real shop area full of tools. 

IMG_5967.JPG

IMG_5968.JPG

IMG_5969.JPG

Starting the Model Shipways U.S. Brig Syren

Working on the Caldercraft HMS Snake

Completed Scratch Built of Russian Armed Merchant Ship Neva 1801-1805

Scratch Commercial Fishing Vessels

Here are some shots of the Garagemahal/Goatlocker Shipyard. I am a blessed man and the Admiral is the best. The downstairs area is my woodworking shop, upstairs is the Goatlocker Lounge and Shipyard.

IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_0861.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Someone must clean it every day!

Maury

48 minutes ago, Maurys said:

Someone must clean it every day!

Maury

That is a shockingly clean work area, isn't it?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm a retired Torpedoman's Mate chief we tend to keep things tidy. Actually I field day once a week on Saturday morning. My Master Chief Nuke buddy says he hates coming over here it is always so clean. I can always find my tools and know when inventory is running low. Especially my Single Malt😏

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Just a basement workshop, but I did construct a mini-bench for my models. Modified from some drawings in a woodworking magazine, I have a center "tail vice" that can hold inverted hulls in about any position or used with bench dogs to hold things mounted on flat base, a depression in the top for tools/parts, drawers for frequently used tools and parts, and a mounting hole for the all important light. 

But, the best feature is its portability. When not mounted on the main shop bench, it can be mounted with clamps on a pair of sawhorses, or moved to a table elsewhere. I like working standing up, and the height is just right for that, and the mini-bench facilitates resting your arms on it while doing fine work. If I decide to work seated, I move it to the sawhorses. The legs are designed with flanges to allow clamping work to them as well. Finally, when the Admiral demands work on another project, the bench with model can be moved out of harms way. 

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0193.JPG

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

• 1 month later...

Hello,

This is my first post. I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my first ship and am browsing the forum to prepare myself for the build and learn from the experienced builders.

In the ninth picture of Jim's work area I noticed  a tool that is used to hold a mast. Can anyone tell me what the name of that tool is? I attached a cropped picture so you know what I am talking about.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

image.png.5791f8a65006dcd6352dc46d6b9942e6.png

7 minutes ago, dekristof said:

Hello,

This is my first post. I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my first ship and am browsing the forum to prepare myself for the build and learn from the experienced builders.

In the ninth picture of Jim's work area I noticed  a tool that is used to hold a mast. Can anyone tell me what the name of that tool is? I attached a cropped picture so you know what I am talking about.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

image.png.5791f8a65006dcd6352dc46d6b9942e6.png

Welcome - and enjoy your new hobby!  That item is generally known as a "third hand".  Sold at hobby stores and online as well (see Model expo, Micromark, and other front page sponsors). 

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

• 1 month later...

I used to have a desk at my parents basement, than desk at college dorm, than there was lots of desks until I got my own studio apartment.

There a closet was converted into workshop. Upgraded to a house onceI got a family so workshop area is shared with family storage in a small garage.

Have two countertops for working with saws, lathes and sanders, storage for large tools, etc. for working on the house as well as models. In the boiler room next to the garage I have my working station were I spent most of the time working on the model (AKA hiding from the family). Used to be a concrete box which I remodeled in style of Victorian officer cabin. If any one interested I have some step by step pictures of the process.20170620_011210.thumb.jpg.70a5d525de60d3f14dfc5a02b8d857ca.jpg20170620_011136.thumb.jpg.dd9f0094b574d2cb3b24a452dcde74e2.jpg

Mit,

You should post those pictures I think a lot f folks would enjoy viewing the process looks very interesting.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Here is what I had in my archives. Materials and artifacts were gathered at Home Depot, Ebay, Craigslist and local curbside during garbage collection days.

Picture inside porthole was printed on light through film in a printing shop. Lamp and roll top desk required some work but I got them cheap. Design idea taken from Cutty Sark interior. There still some work left on the ceiling and opposite wall were I have a small countertop with a sink and shelves.

7.thumb.jpg.7fdf666f468e7abe357416881750666e.jpg8.thumb.jpg.aa5604b06735dc38e6edd8153aaac4ac.jpg6.thumb.jpg.8ae4123b3d2b464fc33b703b0ef1abd9.jpg9.thumb.jpg.a99b11ceba0521ba6a8da3420c3678bf.jpg11.thumb.jpg.442e53f6647f5559903df375f9507e02.jpg12.thumb.jpg.e9a28826c1a0e5382549489014ffd2ce.jpgdoiposle.thumb.jpg.c5c201dc4cbf499bc6752cfd4a60fbc1.jpgIMG_0442.thumb.JPG.319c5b829efafedb7d97756f35631808.JPGIMG_0441.thumb.JPG.a5dca3bd7633dd089ce383dddc2de8ec.JPG14.thumb.JPG.8f4fe20c0db0af3d686a8b455dd67bdb.JPG15.thumb.JPG.82a73f565cc4e015f53bcb67cd25401b.JPG16.thumb.JPG.e63e0fc4a269bfccac424811f3bb8890.JPG

• 2 months later...
On 7/23/2017 at 12:44 AM, David Rice said:

I went back into the closet.

I can only dream of having a real shop area full of tools. 

IMG_5967.JPG

IMG_5968.JPG

IMG_5969.JPG

I think the closet is a very neat idea ! I had been thinking along these lines too before I got into serious machining and outgrew a closet - may be a row of closets would still work ...

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 8 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:05 AM, John Allen said:

Mit,

You should post those pictures I think a lot f folks would enjoy viewing the process looks very interesting.

Went back and reviewed your converting that room amazing a man after my own heart, you took junk refurbished it dolled up the room fantastic job. On the cheap can be good. Hopefully you will give Welfalck some heart and he can get out of the closet.:cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

How do you mean that ? Pictures of my workshop ? Quite a while ago someone did start a similar thread and I posted  pictures there.

Some years ago I stitched together an animated 360° panorama of my study. The actual workshop is an area of around 6' by 8' separated off by bookcases from the study, where I earn my living. The furniture is from IKEA, bought almost 30 years ago, when I had to furnish an appartment from scratch. Since then it has moved with me across Europe and now the study/workshop is the 4th incarnation in the 4th country. The bought furniture was successively supplemented by cabinets, workkbenches etc. built from similar mahogany-faced chip-board to match. The idea was to give the feeling of an old-time workshop with wooden-top workbenches, cabinets with drawers etc. Since the pictures were taken, some more shelving and wooden wall-cladding was added.

https://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/Marine-Forum/PanoramaStudy.gif

And here the workbench for the lathe in a previous incarnation:

http://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/Marine-Forum/WorkshopLathe-72.jpg

We bought an appartment earlier this year that probably will be our retirement-appartment in a few years time. The plan is to have a little workshop squeezed in and to have this kitted out with fitted shelves, cabinets and workbenches. I really need some more feet of workbenches for the machines to have them all set-up ready for use.

BTW, I really liked this Victorian officer's cabin-style workshop of 'mitbok'. When making old-time shipmodels, I would like to be surrounded by a congenial environment and antique tools as well ...

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

Thanks. Not so good for the books actually, because of the workshop dust. That's one of the reasons, why I want to separate out the workshop. I also envisage to have the tools, models, etc., as much as practicable, behind glass-doors to keep dust away from them, though the models are all in glass-cases.

wefalck

1 hour ago, wefalck said:

https://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/Marine-Forum/PanoramaStudy.gif

WOW!!! That's all I can say... (Except for your computer, not very impressed 😊)

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre

I work mostly out of my garage but at times will gather small projects to work on a fold out table in the living room so I can be close to my wife and daughter.   The first pic is a little older than the subsequent two.   Here's the garage.     Best, Joshua

IMG_4021.JPG

IMG_8688.JPG

Garage 2.JPG

Edited by Azzoun

15 minutes ago, wefalck said:

That computer I still keep for handling legacy documents and for running my CANON slide-scanner that has a SCSI-connection only 😳

I keep my old iMac for the same reasons. I can use Appeture and my 100’s of dollars worth of photo filters which are not compatible with my new iMac, which I hate. I am also starting to case all my models for the same reasons. What about adding glass/acrylic doors to your book shelves?

Regards,

Jim Rogers

You must have a very small car then Azzoun 😏

Good collection of tools and a lot of bench-space 😡

Jim, I will not invest into this arrangement anymore. My wife and me will have a 'library' (to take the tea in 😛) in the new appartment - one day.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck