For several weeks the Crown Timberland site has shown "Store Closed for Maintenance"  when ever an inquiry is made bringing me to ask the question are they still,in business? Anybody have any insight.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Gosh I hope so...I had been looking forward to ordering some of their wood or a upcoming project.   (hi, by the way, Im in Poulsbo, we are practically neighbors.)

I had a recent order which was in the pipeline from Crown Timberyard when the "Store Closed for Maintenance"  sign appeared.  Being concerned about the status of my order I emailed them and received a reply from Julie stating that they were indeed undertaking maintenance but they had also experienced an unexpected illness for one of their children.  She said that they were dealing with all orders which had already been placed.  Indeed my order arrived a couple of weeks later and was of they usual high quality.

I know that Jason also has a "day job' but it is a pity that they don't provide a bit more information about when they expect to open again - if ever

Current Build:

Medway Longboat

Completed Builds:

Concord Stagecoach

HM Cutter Cheerful

Royal Caroline

Schooner for Port Jackson

Thank you for the information Bartley. I am now contemplating buying a Micro Mark Tablesaw and doing my own milling. We have one of the best exotic wood stores in the world about 50 miles from my house and as I plan on doing the inner bulkheads of my Syren using Redheart it could be worth it.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

On 7/14/2017 at 8:12 AM, Jim Rogers said:

Thank you for the information Bartley. I am now contemplating buying a Micro Mark Tablesaw and doing my own milling. We have one of the best exotic wood stores in the world about 50 miles from my house and as I plan on doing the inner bulkheads of my Syren using Redheart it could be worth it.

Do you mean Rockler?

Gilmer does ship wood.   I've used them on occasion.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

I have sent several emails to Crown, without any replies.

Running a small business like this is gutsy itself but when you are not taking care of request and updating, you are very likely to be doomed very quickly.

We are now four months in since the sign of "Maintenance" came up.

This is sad since we all looked forward having a good replacement source when Jeff pulled the plug.

I truly hope nothing serious has happened, and that we will see material available for us again.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I always hesitate disparaging any business especially the "cottage industry" that supports us. I too have had an experience with Crown but not nearly as bad as yours. Of late I have been dealing with Wood Project Source. Roman has been very supportive to me and has delivered timely and quality materials.

These guys are the best - I bought a flitch of Pearwood from them this past spring - I had it milled here in Chicago into 70 planks 24 x 2 x 1/4 and 6 planks 24 x 2 x 3/8.  And thats only half of my supply - the rest is on pallets.   All in for wood/shipping and milling it cost me 700 dollars.

http://www.rarewoodsusa.com/

We have a similar business here in the PACNORWEST. I use them for woodworking projects. Great products and service. They also have a Rockler Woodworking store. Check out Edensaw Woods @ Edensaw.com.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Hope this is temporary also,  I have had nothing but exceptional service from Crown in the past and hope that nothing serious has occurred.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I also hope that nothing serious has happened, my fellow MSWer's.

I've tried recently to contact and place an order for various milled pear pieces from Jason (Crown Timberyard); after no reply for more than 2 weeks, I tried Project Wood Source and, unfortunately, also no reply. I even placed an online order with Project Wood Source using their online e-commerce "shopping basket" PayPal link. Nada. Zip. No workee. PayPal is even asking ME: What's Up (with this order)?

Neither Jason nor Roman list a phone # (not even on business cards)...

I'm now contemplating ordering from Arkowood in Deutschland. Pain in the you-know-what, but I speak German. The shipping will be the killer but the milled sheet prices are reasonable and I expect the wood quality and milling finish will be high.

I'll give this curious situation another week or two, then I'm moving on...

Are their others who are reading this that would like to become my new precision milled pear and box supplier?

I have resisted purchasing a Byrnes saw for several years ($600ish - including relevant accessories - can buy a LOT of wood). However, this situation may eventually lead me to heed Lord Vader's admonition: Resistance Is Futile.

Ron

CMMS

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Ron I just spoke to Roman.    I placed another order from him myself.  He said your order that was placed yesterday, went through just fine.  He will get back to you soon but is away this weekend.  His website and order page is working just fine..my own order went through with no issues at all.

Chuck

Hi Ron,

If you decide to order wood from Deutschland check out www.massiv-holtz-werkstatt.de also. Frank Horschig has no problem with orders in English. He has a very good selection of timber and is not expensive. I do all my ordering by email and pay by bank transfer. No connection with him,just a very satisfied customer.

Dave :dancetl6:

Chuck - Dave:

Muchos Gracias to you both! Great timely follow-up.

Chuck – when my order with Roman comes through (this was just a quickie web test post- conversation about supplier web sites), hopefully I'll then have a working phone number (and/or email) so I can ask some specific questions on a custom order.

Dave —  If I hit a dead end here, I'll head to Germany for my Birnbaum - many thanks for this additional contact! Fantastisch!:rolleyes:

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren