Photos of furled jibs

I thought I would share the photos I came across as I was researching how to make furled jibs for my Shenandoah build. If anyone else has some other pics, they might like to add them to the thread.

I hope this is helpful. Enjoy your researching and building!

Steve

PHOTOS REMOVED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES - ADMIN

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

• 3 weeks later...

Not obvious in the photo Is the technique used to get the sail to look and behave this way: on a hanked on sail like these headsails, the sail remains attached to a the stay at the Luff of the sail  and the rest of the sailcloth is a chaotic floppy pile of material after the sail is dowsed  and it has all slid down the stay. Sailors go out on the headrig ( that's why there are footropes there) and pull the Clew of the sail all the way Aft, trying to stretch the foot of the sail along the center of the Bowsprit or Jibboom. then they "Flake" the sail by forming long folds , like an accordion, stretching from the Tack of the sail to the Clew, each fold the same width and as wide as the spar will allow. Starting with the material closest to the foot, and folding their way "up" the sail as they go, neatly stacking each flake atop the last one. Since the sail is triangular, each successive flake is shorter than the one beneath it, the boltrope on the Leach of the sail is then visible as a zig-zag across the top of the stack of flakes marching from Aft to foreword , each flake has one hank at its forward end where it is attached to the stay.

sometimes the very first flake is made abnormally wide so it hangs down at the feet of the sailors as they form the rest of the more narrow flakes and stack them on top. This is "the skin"and once all the rest of the flakes are folded, the "skin" is taken up and folded over the top of all the flakes and tucked neatly under the flakes ( like tucking in a bedsheets) on the opposite side. This forms one smooth skin over all the rest of the folded sail and the sailors try to smooth out every wrinkle in the Skin in order to make its surface PERFECTLY SMOOTH. And this is done to impress all who view the sailwith the superior seamanship of this particular crew but also it perfectly sheds water which would otherwise collect in any folds and possibly start rot to set in.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Frankie, I appreciated the description as well. It confirms what I was trying to do with my model's rendition of the furled headsails. I created a flaked sail, attached hanks, and threaded them onto the headstay. Then I wrapped the flaked sail with a separate piece of cloth to imitate the skin and secured that underneath the sail, between it and the jibboom. Then I tied everything down with furling lines. I was even able to simulate the reef knots.DSC_0057.thumb.jpg.1d91ac8f66aab7d93f90462e0cffcfda.jpg

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

• 3 weeks later...

What a wonderful shot! Now, that's a furled jib displayed in all its glory!

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."