Hi Folks,

I'm looking to buy a copy of the AOS 44 Gun Frigate Constitution by Marquardt. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Zoly,

I sure would like to give it a try. Let me know how to procede.

Thanks

Zoly,

I wish you hadnt posted that.  Shaking my head in disbelief.  :default_wallbash:Within five minutes of your post,  it was reported to the staff and I received a few PM's as well. 

you do know that book is copyright and the author is actually still alive and kicking.   Many of our members know him personally.  You should really buy that book to support him rather than download and steal PDF versions and also offer them to anyone who asks.  It is my understanding that you have quite a collection of bootlegged Anatomy of the ship books, and others ..... often sharing and exchanging them through this site digitally.

We cant allow such behavior at MSW.  It is a violation of our rules and unethical no matter how you slice it.  You have been a member for so long it baffles the mind how you could post that....still shaking my head in bewilderment.   

Chuck

Thanks Ken. It's on the way.

Chuck- it did not occur to me that a PDF copy would be a copyright violation. With all the e- everything, including books, I thought it was legitimate. My apologies. I like to think I am more ethical than this.

Bye the way, it appears that the book is out of print. Even the Constitution Museum store where I ordered it 3 weeks ago can't get a copy.

This one looks to be a reasonable price. It would be around $US50.00 plus postage from Australia.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I bought a copy through abebooks in May $US37 + $US15 shipping (from UK).  I guess it is a matter of luck when one comes available at a good price.  If you can wait you might do OK.  My copy was unused - perfect condition.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Well,

Under the heading of "If it seems to good to be true, it usually is". Just received notice that the AOS Constitution,from Bookbyte, is all of a sudden out of stock and a refund is issued. So much for the bargain. The seller must have woken up.

Thanks Danny. Postage from AUS is $50 US for a total of $122 US. I am going to do what Doug did and watch and wait for a reasonable price. My Connie build is probably 2 years out- lots of time yet.

Check Sea Fever Books in CT - Frank is a NRG Journal advertiser.  seafeverbooks@aol.com  860-663-1888.  He's got a good stock and just might have this book.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

If it any use to you the bookseller from whom I got the AOTS Constitution was Neil Ewart Rare Books in the UK.  You might find it worthwhile giving him your want list since he seems willing to sell at a humane price.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Thanks Kurt and Doug.

A world wide search turned up 42 copies for sale. Prices were $195.00 to $4995.00 (no typo). I must be loosing my mind. I can wait. The Connie is about 18 months out on the ways as I work on my Victory.

When I see prices like those on not-rare books I always figure that the seller doesn't actually have a copy.  They put up a crazy value to keep a listing and if anyone actually pays for one then they have a lot of margin to pry one out of the library of someone willing to sell.  Just my theory but I'm certainly not going to try to test it out!  Although maybe I'd sell my copy for $195 if someone were wealthy enough to offer it!!!

Good hunting Michael - if I stumble across a good price I'll let you know.

Doug

OOP books have different copy right regulations, those differ also per country. It should be worth looking into those regulations, for it might be that passing a pdf of an OOP book to someone else is not prohibited or prone to copy right infringements ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl,

Since MSW is US based, US law applies.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Not in the US for a book still under copyright protection. 

The AOS books are reprinted at some point - I bought several OOP AOS books for a reasonable cost and less than 6 months later they were all reprinted - at a higher price than I paid but there went my plans to make a profit on ebay. :default_wallbash:

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

5 hours ago, ca.shipwright said:

A world wide search turned up 42 copies for sale. Prices were $195.00 to $4995.00 (no typo).

I've seen some Asian sites with ridiculous prices. Apparently they list them in Hong Kong Dollars and fail to convert to US Dollars, hence the huge "price".

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Bottom line:

Copyright protection is granted for 70 years in the US, whether the author is alive or dead. It makes no difference if the book is out of print, the copyright is still in force.

Danny,

Do you happen to have the Asian sites; URLs by chance. I tried Google and there are very poor search results.

Can you kind out what the least expensive cost is two mail about a 2.5 lb. book to Richmond, VA, USA? I would be greatful.

Found the book through Clare Hess, a Model Ship World member. Isn't life grand!!!!!!!