robdurant

RECENT POSTING PROBLEMS - and the solution - read this before starting another topic

56 posts in this topic

Hi

Every time I go to creat or edit a post or topic the content box is hidden. Firefox was fine yesterday but now it seems to fail. Ckeditor component does not display but upload bar does. See attachments. I had to use chrome on my (android) mobile to post this.

Firefox did upgrade overnight, but safari did not and chrome is newly downloaded. 

I get the same problem on chrome on my windows 10 laptop too.

Haven't been able to try a different msw account but wondered if others were having this difficulty (but may be hard for them to reply if they have no mobile to do so)

Glad of any assistance you can offer. 

Rob

nocontentboxffversion.jpg

nocontentbox2.jpg

nocontentbox.jpg

reklein and donrobinson like this

I am using Chrome with no issues at all.   I am on windows 10.   So maybe it has to do with your settings in Chrome.    

Chuck

donrobinson likes this

Hi Chuck.

Thanks for responding so quickly. Must be something between my account and my computers then.

Strange that it's on firefox and safari too and mac and windows. Perhaps it's my home network causing problems. I'll try rolling back firefox to an older version and see if it helps. 

Rob.

donrobinson likes this

I'm using the same version of Firefox (except 32-bit) on Win 10 and can reply to this topic. I also tried creating a new topic and could have if I'd wanted to.

Cheers -

John

[Edit... I'm getting rusty... turns out missing http:// is valid... so this shouldn't be the problem after all]

I'vd tried deleting the cookies and cache but no cigar. I'll keep looking and see if some header setting is causing the anomaly. Be strange though given so many different configs. 

nocontent.source (1).jpg

donrobinson likes this

There is another member having the same issues.    He gave me his user name and password.  After signing in as this member I had no issues at all.  So its not his MSW settings.  Whatever is happening to you and a few others seems to be isolated to your own computers and browsers as far as I can see.  I can not reproduce the issue at all.  Maybe update java on your computers or something like that.

Chuck

donrobinson likes this

Not an issue caused by being on my home network as the same thing happens when I connect via tetheribg through my mobile. Still searching.

donrobinson likes this

Works for me with Chrome, but I'm stuck on an older version (Version 49.0.2623.112 m) due to my ancient OS...

donrobinson likes this

Broken on our ipad on iOS10 too. Really weird :( I've created a different account to see if that would work. Could it be a problem in my signature or something? Works on my mobile in chrome on mobile and desktop versions. Bit of a head scratcher.

Jack12477 and donrobinson like this

4 hours ago, Chuck said:

There is another member having the same issues.    He gave me his user name and password.  After signing in as this member I had no issues at all.  So its not his MSW settings.  Whatever is happening to you and a few others seems to be isolated to your own computers and browsers as far as I can see.  I can not reproduce the issue at all.  Maybe update java on your computers or something like that.

Chuck

I see Chuck's reference to Java.  I'm no computer jock, but I use Firefox, and the "Add-Ons" info on my latest version offers this commentary:

====================================

Why do Java, Silverlight, Adobe Acrobat and other plugins no longer work?

Beginning in Firefox version 52, support for NPAPI plugins in Firefox has ended, except for Adobe Flash. Some of the plugins that will no longer load include Java, Microsoft Silverlight and Adobe Acrobat. See this compatibility document for details.

Over the past few years, Firefox has implemented various Web APIs so that websites can do the same things they’ve always done without plugins, so you will most likely not notice any change to your browsing experience.

Why did Firefox do this?

The internet is full of websites that go beyond static pages, such as video, sound and games. NPAPI plugins, especially Flash, have helped enable these interactive pages. But they also make your browsing slower, less secure and more likely to crash.

Over the past few years, Firefox has worked hard to build replacements for these plugins. Together, they are called Web APIs. They are designed to replace the function of these plugins without undermining your internet security, stability and performance.

Before, these Web APIs weren’t quite ready, so Firefox started the transition by making plugins load manually (click to activate).

Today, they’re ready. Many sites have adopted them, and almost all your favourite pages can be enjoyed without using old and insecure plugins. Firefox joins other modern browsers like Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge to remove support for these NPAPI plugins.

I’m having problems

In case you’re not yet ready for this transition to happen, the ESR (Extended Support Release) of Firefox 52 will continue to support these plugins until early 2018. Click here to download Firefox ESR.

Important: The Windows 64-bit version of Firefox 52 ESR only supports the Adobe Flash and Microsoft Silverlight plugins. If you also need support for Java or other plugins, choose the Windows (32-bit) download.

=========================

Note the last sentence, too, about the 32-bit version.  I leave it to wiser heads to determine if this speaks to the problem, and what to do about it.

Good Luck,

donrobinson likes this

Hi.

Thanks for the ideas. That update happened to firefox several months ago so I've been using a version of firefox that doesn't support java for a while now. 

Just in case I created a test version of the same community software through invision's site and the rich text editor works fine. I also tried installing the older version of firefox (50) and it didn't help. Not sure how that would affect the other laptop I've been using.

So far.... these don't work:

* Mac with Safari, chrome and firefox ver 50, 52 and 54... with emptied cookies and cache. (Through home network or tethered)

* Ipad with ios10 safari browser

* Windows 10 with chrome, firefox or edge.

But.... android works with chrome in mobile and desktop mode.

Just weird.

Java is up to date. Flash is up to date. And ckeditor works on invisions ipboard test site.

Going to sleep on it and see if I have any further ideas before my laptop takes a flying lesson.

Thanks for all your help chaps.

Rob

DocBlake, Jack12477 and donrobinson like this

I tried to post a comment using Firefox and Internet explorer on a PC and was able to post a picture, but no comments.  It works on a Mac using Chrome. I'll bet there was an upgrade to the MSW server that is causing the error.  Too many people having the same problem at the same time.

I'll try Firefox and Safari on the Mac.

Maury

donrobinson, Jack12477 and reklein like this

Same problem.  Posting this on my IPad.  PC using Internet Explorer or Chrome = no dialogue box.

donrobinson likes this

Hmm.... I'm not seeing the problem in Win7 with Chrome.  IE and Firefox were giving me fits a few months ago with MSW so I switched.  

Interesting mix and seems hit and miss.   I'm not an Apple person so... I'll go with I know.  Are all the PC's Win10?   I also know of one person using XP having this issue.  

donrobinson likes this

Contacted by a member in USA that he could not post anything via his PC nor able to reply to PM's. Same thing here in Australia...BUT using this iPad, I can ?????

What is happening ????

Pete

woodrat likes this

Looks like replying is OK. What search engine and software are you both using?

I'm using Windows 10 and Chrome.

donrobinson likes this

Rick - using Windows 10 and Google and NEVER experienced problems before today.

Thanks for that Mark. Something is wrong somewhere. Still using only my iPad.

Pete

mtaylor and donrobinson like this

11 hours ago, robdurant said:

So far.... these don't work:

* Mac with Safari, chrome and firefox ver 50, 52 and 54... with emptied cookies and cache. (Through home network or tethered)

* Ipad with ios10 safari browser

* Windows 10 with chrome, firefox or edge

The ipad had never been to modelshipworld.com before, so it can't be a cache issue, unless the devices that are still _working_ are using a cached version of something that is now broken?

donrobinson likes this

No problem here: (ipad, ios10.2/safari)

I can do all I like, and more :)

jan

donrobinson likes this

On my windows 7 (Ultimate) laptop no browser works properly, On my Windows 7 Professional PC each browser works, on Linux (Debian) Firefox doesn't work, Other browsers do (This is typed on Linux/Chrome, I can't get to work on the FF browser). I first thought it an update from Windows, but it seems something else is causing the problem ...

Have any plugins for the site been "upgraded/updated" ...?

Hi All,

Yesterday 12th July Wednesday, mid afternoon if I can recall, I could not bring up the MSW web site for say approx. 30-45 mins.

Coincidence ?

PS Was able to post to my build log just now.

On Windows 8.1, Chrome

Dave R

cog, mtaylor and donrobinson like this

Ok ... Following my previous comments and hoping some administrator will make a comment ...

Using both my PC with updated Windows 10 AND the admirals iPad Pro, there is no space allowed for making a reply to a post and only the area for adding files. Even with the latter, the file added cannot be inserted into the post.

Using this older iPad, everything works OK.

Please some administrator, tell me what is happening , even if it is that MSW is aware that there IS a problem.

Thanks,

Pete

donrobinson and woodrat like this

Pete, 

Does the Apple use Adobe?     See my post over on the other topic.

donrobinson likes this

Will try again. When I wish to make a reply to a posting, I click in the appropriate area and it disappears !!! I do not use Firefox or Chrome and on this older iPad am using Safari.

Can anybody help me ?

Pete

mtaylor and donrobinson like this

Maybe Admins cannot respond either ... ;) 

It looks like an update/upgrade of a plugin. It may be that an older browser is less prone to the workings of a new version. Some browser versions are more picky than others too, especially the newer ones. I'm afraid we'll have to wait for an admin's reply