sideliner

mounting finished ship

Hello out there.

I am in process of mounting my Benjamin Latham and seine boat to a wooden plank  I initially intended to use 2 brass pedestals for the ship and kit supplied brass rods for the boat.  I have attached a pic of a new possibility.  I am concerned about 3 things

1. Threading the wood screw up through the pedestal into ship keel. How likely is keel to split

2. Fastening the brass rods to the seine boats very thin hull

3.Would it make sense to use adhesive to attach ship to pedestal (and pedestal to mounting board). I would use 2 small wood strips at stern

latham.jpg

Hummmm I dont suppose it helps very much to say that I always prepare my mounting points as a first step when building.

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/420-hms-pegasus-by-simonthepieman-victory-models-164-started-by-spyglass/&do=findComment&comment=4702

I would suggest however that you do not use screws ,  use brass threaded rod .  

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/8650-hm-schooner-pickle-by-spyglass-caldercraft-164-scale/&do=findComment&comment=266061

This gives you a "lite" version of my normal route which is to embed a nut into the keel.

Drill the keel first with a pilot and then a more appropriate size.

I f you get the size right - just under the threaded rod size, then you can "screw" the rod into the drilled hole.

I dont know if I would risk a single pedestal as you illustrate though with just the "lite" fixing version

donrobinson and mtaylor like this

Spyglass

Thanks so much for info.  Only wished I had it before starting the Latham. My bad.   As my model is fully rigged, I cannot see any path to drilling holes in keel and threading in rod. The stern on this model needs to be lower in a mount to level the waterline so I could just use different heights on the two pedestals and risk using small dia. brass screws.  If all else fails I may locate small thumb clamps that I can mount to display board.  The seine boat has no thickness in the keel, so I will have to kludge some method to mount it to rods.

If you drill the appropriate sized pilot hole for the screw it should work. 

For mounting the seine boat.  You can use smaller diameter brass rod in the hull and then use brass tubing that will be a slip fit in the display board. 

I agree with Jim, that is a very nice build.

Thanks for comments. Well I believe that I can drill pilot holes in keel by having my first mate carefully hold the ship on its side.  I just remembered that my Dremel drill has a variable speed control (yay). I have mortised two holes to hold the pedestals steady on the board and may use a spot of glue to keep them in place, counter sunk back of board to accept screws.  Biggest challenge will be laying mounting board across two tables while I sit on the floor and tighten the screws.  You know, one of the great things I enjoy about this type of modeling is finding devious ways to correct stupid mistakes ^_^

mtaylor, druxey and donrobinson like this

You can also drill a hole through the pedestal crossways across the arms. Place the keel in the pedstal and drill the same hole through the keel. Take brass rod on the same diameter and run it through. If it is tight, nothing further to do. If there is a little slop, the put some CA on the rod and then insert it.

Model Expo sells two sizes of pedestals . Using this pair should give you the proper waterline alignment.

Hope this help

mtaylor and donrobinson like this

ca.shipwright

Sounds like a good possibility for me.  I assume I could use a threaded fastener to hold pedestal to mount board, but might be a problem finding correct fastener.  Might just epoxy the pedestals in place. thanks for info

Is this a good point to put in a plug for my favorite brass rod substitute? Brass rod corrodes, it bends very eisily too. Try my alternative which is free and available wherever you see an abandoned bicycle: bike spokes. Very difficult to bend, super resilient and strong. Polishes to bright silver will corrode back to light grey over time.

mtaylor and donrobinson like this

ragove

Thanks for info.

How is ship attached to woodblocks and the woodblocks to the mounting board ?

Very nice Latham build, by the way.

mtaylor and Canute like this