JosephHuntley

Black Prince 74 Gun Design Via Ed Tosti Method

43 posts in this topic

So this morning only have a couple hours before getting ready for work so I took care of the gun ports.

The lower deck they are all 3 foot 5 inches wide for the 32 pounders and 7 foot 6 ish inches apart (I say ish as they had to fudge them an inch or two in some places to clear things)

and on the gun deck they are 2 foot 11 inches for the 18 pounders

so now I can trim off the extra lines and another layer of drawing is finished.

the keel seems to come to 18 inches when I checked everything out which seems about right so I will go with that. What I dunno where to look for numbers for the taper of the Beak in the bow and the sternpost in aft and the thicknesses of the deadwoods

BP-12.png

BANYAN and Mike Y like this

So Now I am working on the Keel and the Stem Parts.  I have the rabbet and keel and false keel set and am working on the curves in the bow section and have my arcs started

BP-14.png

Mike Y likes this

I put everything together on one sketch now to see how it looks. I think the next thing to do is to work on doing some 3D and get the keel tweaked in. I will also have to figure out the head pieces and the deadwood in the aft so now seems like a good time to work on that stuff. Besides then I can at least build the keel and such as I draw the other stuff giving me a break from either as I go along plus allows me to test fit everything.

BP-17.png

Mike Y likes this

Ok guys looking at the above image and this closeup the drawings showed a scarf joint there but then nothing on the drawing shows what it is scarfed into. it is almost like it ends there and oh lets just throw in a scarf. can someone explain to me what is going on here?

BP-18.png

well obviously I looked or I wouldnt be asking once you pointed me to the book. as far as I can tell the closest thing is on page 29 fig 1/19 that looks like there may be a second keel on top of the keel however its so small of a section it doesnt show how far back it goes.

pointing to books all the time doesnt answer questions when a person is new and there are hundreds of pages to sort through when they dont really know what they are looking for in the first place. thats why we  new guys ask questions but it seems those that actually do answer point to a vague reference to a book instead of answering the question or pointing to a page or chapter of a book as a general area to start looking for an answer

The "keel on top of the keel" you refer to is called the Keelson. I suspect that scarp is just like a stealer plank in that it adds width to a plank that is otherwise not wide enough to do the job required of it. We must remember that as these are wooden ships, the builders may have had scarp locations drawn in the plans but they would have adjusted positioning of them to suit the timber they had available. A keel scarp may be located on the plans 30 feet back from the stem but since the builder had a 45 foot timber on hand, he saved himself the work of making a scarph and used a longer timber. Or only had shorter timber and had to add a scarph. These guys were good. Real good. They knew their business and had no problem deviating from the plans like that to suite the material they had on hand. Without knowing exactly how this particular ship was assembled, your guess would be as close as anyone would ever get to it for locating scarfs. And that one you can't figure out..... I suspect it's as I mentioned above. The end of a "stealer" type timber that's nibbed into the timber above it which extends behind it as well. Others may have a different opinion though. Keep up the great drawing work. 

mtaylor likes this

well the marked piece isnt the keelson I have that drawn in above.

After looking again I think because of the quality og the plans, I drew a scarf as it looked like one but looking again I think the scarf isnt there but the end is just rounded over

but Personally I think that should be the Bow Deadwood then Needs another Piece on top of it. will have to think on it some more and check other ships of the type

For what it's worth, a lot of the questions you're asking I probably asked in my post; when you have some question just do a search and you'll find some very good answers. Every ship is unique in that the ship builder did not always follow the "rules", every ship yard was unique as they had their own rules and all these "rules" changed with every generation or so it would seem. I would recommend to get the ship building contract (if one exist) there's a lot of good reading and you can learn a thing or two.  There are several builds on the forum for 74's which offer tremendous insights maybe hook up with one and follow along. It would be nice if there was a sticky with all the 74 builds listed.  I think you're off to a good start, keep up the good work. 

mtaylor likes this

Thanks Don I will check it out when I get home tonight. Wished I could find a copy of a 74 gun ships contract online but so far nothing and with all I been spending lately to get my shop equipped for micro tools and ref books etc it will be a while before I can order anything like that if I come across something. I thought had everything i needed for the black prince lol I am just trying to find enough stuff on a 74 or 50 gun ship that I can draw up a set of plans decently