18 year old model ship enthusiast

ntmcd1

Hello guys,

I've always like to build models since I was a young kid.  My first model ship was an AL Virginia Schooner, which I built when I was in third grade.  It wasn't museum quality, but pretty good for such a young kid.  I built a very small solid hull USS Constitution when I was in eighth grade, and an AL San Francisco Galleon the following year.  The Constitution was pretty easy but the Galleon's plank bending proved to be quite difficult so i came to this board as a lurker to get advice.  Last year, I built an AL King of the Mississippi that is 99.9% done, I just need to put on a few extras.  

Now, I've started my biggest project, an AL USS Constellation.  I was disappointed by the model, especially the fittings, stern, and instructions, so I'm making a custom ship of my own with a square stern as opposed to the rounded one supplied, and mostly custom fittings (although I haven't got there yet).  I go off to college in a month so I'm in a bit of a hurry, but so far it's looking better than any of my other ships, thanks to consulting various build logs and planking guides on this site and others.  I'll post a build log here sometime.

Welcome to MSW.   As for your question about the windows... wander through the scratch area.  There's several different ways of doing them.   

The Constellation kit IS NOT the original frigate.  It's actually based on the 1850 sloop of war.   It doesn't have the hull lines nor much of anything else in common with the frigate.  There's at least one build of the Constellation (RC, scratch) of the original.  I took the AL kit and bashed it into the actual ship that AL based their kit on.  I do wish you luck on bashing the kit the way you want.....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

the best window frame maker I know is Dirk {dubz}

his window tutorial start around page 10.........but I think you'll enjoy the entire log ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

G'day (insert your name here ;)),

Welcome to MSW, good to see such a young and enthusiastic new member :).

48 minutes ago, ntmcd1 said:

Also, I was wondering how you guys scratch-build the intricate little windows and window frames on the stern of most ships.  I'll probably use some type of clear plastic as glass, but I don't know how to make the little wood frames.

Here's a LINK to the 1st post in my HMS Vulture build log where I start making the Stern Light Frames (most of the work starts on the following page). Unfortunately, you will need a Byrnes Table Saw to cut the various munions. It's a real good investment if you want to get into any serious Scratchbuilding, in fact I'd call it a "must have" :D.

57 minutes ago, ntmcd1 said:

Now, I've started my biggest project, an AL USS Constellation.  I was disappointed by the model, especially the fittings, stern, and instructions, so I'm making a custom ship of my own with a square stern as opposed to the rounded one supplied, and mostly custom fittings

I feel your pain. It was an AL kit that sent me on the path of Scratchbuilding in the first place, something for which I'll forever be grateful to AL for (but not much else ;):D).

Good luck with your build, and I look forward to seeing your build log.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Welcome to MSW.   As for your question about the windows... wander through the scratch area.  There's several different ways of doing them.   

The Constellation kit IS NOT the original frigate.  It's actually based on the 1850 sloop of war.   It doesn't have the hull lines nor much of anything else in common with the frigate.  There's at least one build of the Constellation (RC, scratch) of the original.  I took the AL kit and bashed it into the actual ship that AL based their kit on.  I do wish you luck on bashing the kit the way you want.....

The constellation kit I have seems to be based off of both.  I went on the modern constellation when I was younger, and the weather deck had no cannons, and no wide open area that leads to the gun deckuss-constellation-main-deck.jpg

As opposed to:

CO6.jpg

The kit I have still has a rounded stern like the ship in Baltimore, however.

I'm looking for wasa builders in the archives........I found these for you so far.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Right... the kit claims to be the 1798 version. It's not. The kit has the lines from the 1850 kit (rounded stern) and has some fictitious gun scheme.  Here's a couple of links that might solve the confusion... or create more.  :rolleyes:

https://repository.si.edu/handle/10088/2404

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a241916.pdf

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to Model Ship World!...you'll find a great group of open and helpful folks on this site...and as a younger fellow (most of us are north of the half century mark), you'll find a host of people who will bend over backwards to answer your questions.

Cliff Ward

Cary, North Carolina

USA

Welcome aboard ntmcd1, it is great to have you here.

Can you please tell us your real name?

This is a great site for learning/sharing tips and techniques and there are a lot people here who are willing to help and advise and answer any questions you might have.  We are all here to help and encourage each other.

I wish you smooth sailing with our gallant crew and happy modeling.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Welcome to MSW! Good to have you with us as an active member! I wish you the best of luck on your current and future builds. Start up a build log and share the journey with us. I look forward to seeing your work!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Welcome and all the best. Being at a young age has its perks, Eyesight, hearing etc. So make the most of it! Plenty of ships out there awaiting you. 

Take the advice on here but please share yours too. Happy sailing.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

• 1 month later...

Please do not hurry. Take the problem with you and maybe you will find other enthusiasts to talk with. AL is one of many kit manufacturers. I like the Mosel Expo group because they offer free replacement parts for their kits. The English JoTiKa have some of the best stuff out there but you pay for it. Don't forget Google and You Tube for inspiration and help. I can say this because at 67 I have made every possible mistake and find new ones to make monthly. The worst critics are the ones who do not build themselves, the best have been at this and know the why of things which happen. Good luck at College. I an a Purdue Alum, class of '74 after three years in the army.

ntmcd1,

I also built the AL Constellation.  It was my first attempt at model ship building so I really didn't know any better about the accuracy or drastic lack of it.  I picked up the kit from a fellow MSW member for a very low price so I said why not.  The model provided a vast amount of experience for me since I had none previously.  I don't think I could have completed it without the help of everyone on the MSW site.  I did quite a bit of bashing on the rigging and made the sails from scratch since the kit did not supply any.  As for the hull I ended up keeping it pretty much the same as the kit.  Now that I am scratch building my second model I can see how silly it was for AL to release this as the 1798 Constellation.  I don't really have the pride in model that I used to.  On the other hand, most if not all the people that look at it don't know the difference anyway.  They just look at the overall model and go wow, look at all the detail and then my pride returns a bit.  I guess all will be fine as long as nobody from MSW ends up in my living room!:P  A link to my build log is in my signature.

Tom