HMS Bellerophon by flyer - FINISHED - Amati/Victory Models - scale 1:72

hull details, coppering

After installing some hull decoration strips I marked the waterline and put a1x1mm strip on it. It was then painted  dull black. To give it a more realistic finish I mixed in some white.

(In a book, written by a professional model railroad landscape builder he explains about colour scale. By that he means that if you look at a model in scale 1/100 from a distance of 50cm it should look the same as the prototype from a distance of 50m. And from that distance colours look less bright because of the air absorbing some of the intensity. He says that's the reason that models tend to look like toys if you use original colours. He recommends to always mix in a bit of white or grey and to avoid shiny colours. I think it works.)

Below the waterline strip I painted a copper strip to cover eventual irregularities at the edge of the coppering.

As on previous builds I broke of single copper plates and glued them on individually and overlapping, starting at the stern and the keel.

After putting on the first leaf of copper plates, I had the happy idea to check how many there are. 2400.

2400!

I just hope the skin on my fingertips will endure that as I have to peel off dried CA glue (and some skin) after each coppering session.

To have some variety I do small projects in between, such as adding outer hull details or more shot garlands - seems I can't stop making them, now I know how.

IMG_1547.jpg.1808747ada15d56e18c7ed534c1b462d.jpg

waterline marked and coppering started

IMG_1543.jpg.d5cb5724638021185300f52323b8129e.jpg

waterline

IMG_1544.jpg.35dbc1e56c45cab19a983ee4a3c93eb6.jpgIMG_1545.jpg.188c8026fcb3747a6342d287275dd64e.jpgIMG_1546.jpg.da2877b196075a2a45d6da11e58a0b68.jpg

coppering details

IMG_1550.jpg.a5da6aed386a02eacac419a3f19a1810.jpg

additional shot garlands

Edited by flyer

Hi Dave

Thanks.

The linked article is a great one about a fact every modeller should be familiar with.

Adding 15% white seems be a bit much in scale 1/76 - but for the yellow colour on my Pickle build this could be about what I actualy took while the black there was right out of the can.

Generally I would and will add less white to black - a few drops up to perhaps 5% will make a big change already.

Cheers

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

First (port) half of the coppering is done. Me, I'm looking forward to a nice diversified work, like knotting ratlines. The copper will be polished after both sides are done. The amount of copper plates was just sufficient. By  careful use of trimmed leftovers I managed to keep enough full plates to cover rudder and keel.

IMG_1552.jpg.17125438367e929586353cc66ecc18a7.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg.937fedd54fc6f1fdb7e9d89cd24338be.jpgIMG_1553.thumb.jpg.a77b68e1e8885693548645667a3096cb.jpg

the scale figure of the captain shows just how much expensive copper was put on such a ship of the line

Very very nice result with those copper plates Peter, well done indeed.  Keep going!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

• 2 months later...

Peter,

Your plates came out brilliantly. Those thousands of bits are such a chore that cannot exist with any errors along the way.

Your shot racks look excellent as well. Great work all around.

PS and to think that I was so "full of myself" with my small x-section coppering haha :imNotWorthy:

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks to all for the compliments. It helps and encourages me to glue hundreds more of those little plates on. (About 3/4 done, only 600 to go!)

Still putting them on overlapping is a great help. Only those at the beginning and end of a line need to be trimmed.

Martin: Hour? I'm enjoying every second - being rather overjoyed by now.

Cheers

Peter

• 5 weeks later...

The coppering of both sides is now finished and the copper is being polished. I use Proxxon nylon-fleece brushes to clean and brass-wire wheel brushes to polish the copper. The untreated polished copper will accumulate a dark natural patina within a few years.

For breaks I'm coppering the lower half of the rudder. This itself was a bit reworked: The front edge was angled 30° to both sides to allow the rudder to turn and the back edge was sanded down to 3mm towards its lowest point.

Also the painting of the hull was started with the yellow strakes while I start wondering how I will ever get the puzzle of the quarter galleries together.

IMG_1564.jpg.8ef9af930186128786708ddd7aadce66.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg.16f3b7312e83039bd853f4f01a7f846a.jpg

Copper partly cleaned on port side

IMG_1560.jpg.f0f6c5565a3bdf9403ca4937fb238fd6.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg.0aa4e0722a86038119e019a4ad95aacf.jpg

Rudder being coppered

• 1 month later...

Building the side galleries was so far easier done than expected. I started with the 2 parts with windows - they were adjusted to the already installed end-to-end planking - and glued on. Then the adjacent windowless parts could be fit with only a small reworking necessary. The bottom 5mm mdf-part fit also quite well. However the top part of the side gallery needs a bit of rethinking and reworking. The kit asks to build something like a little pool on top of the gallery and this differs from any plans and pictures I could find. I suspect a misinterpretation of plans by the kit makers. I will install a more conventional, two stepped roof and hope to find room for the decorative parts.

Some details of the outer hull were also installed including the bolsters for the anchor flukes which are missing in the plans.

IMG_1579.jpg.f353655796012810e828c716c27d5da9.jpg

first side gallery parts attached

IMG_1594.jpg.d389aea9c8ab077f37c196a12834e7f3.jpg

first four plywood parts attached

IMG_1589.jpg.9b61ee6205bf246ca99a29022daa8cd0.jpg

The roof is not finished, it needs one more step and the whole construction needs more filler.

IMG_1581.jpg.a1c8485ede46e7454d59240b3c9da9be.jpg

hull details including steps

IMG_1585.jpg.ce85edb8defc2524101632e2dd5862ae.jpg

lower part of bolster

Hi Peter

The quarter galleries did indeed have a kind of pool on the top, actually the cistern for the officers and captains heads/toilet inside the gallery which flushed down and out through the bottom of the gallery

These were usually lead lined with a drain hole at the fore end

Hope this helps

Regards

Paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Hi Paul

Thanks, this is a great help.

A flush toilet for the captain - very ingenious, I had no Idea.

However, I think, the water in that rather shallow, open cistern would constantly swap over the edge. Was this possibly used as a collector for a closed cistern below, in the roof of the side gallery?

Anyway I will change the design of the side gallery top as sketched below.

IMG_20190126_0002.jpg.ad84990eba53306fecb1f3f6843ce15f.jpg

Cheers

Peter

How very intriguing -- not only the flushing toilet, but the simple idea of collecting fresh water.

Nice work as always, Peter.  The quarter galleries make a bold addition, and the steps & bolster make everything start looking like a Man of War!

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Martin

Thanks. Those flushing toilets are an interesting subject. I didn't know they go back a few thousand years and were quite common in better houses in England 200 years ago. And on a man of war I expected chamber pots or buckets for the officers - but no, they went to war in style!

Hi Harlequin

Your Bellona is an extremely fine build and with your connection to the original myth Bellerophon would be a logical successor (you seem to react very well to challenges...)😉.

Cheers

Peter

16 hours ago, flyer said:

Hi Martin

Thanks. Those flushing toilets are an interesting subject. I didn't know they go back a few thousand years and were quite common in better houses in England 200 years ago. And on a man of war I expected chamber pots or buckets for the officers - but no, they went to war in style!

Hi Harlequin

Your Bellona is an extremely fine build and with your connection to the original myth Bellerophon would be a logical successor (you seem to react very well to challenges...)😉.

Cheers

Peter

thank you flyer.....it has been a very frustrating build has dear old Bellona......my next build funnily enough is...…..Pegasus...….bought it for pennies of ebay , it is a very old kit but apart from the plans which I can source it all seems to be there. 

Good morning all.

The mention of a "pool" type water collection area over the quarter gallery to provide flush toilets for the officers caught my attention.

In my research on "pissdales", there size, shape, locations onboard ships of the line, I found the following...

In Joe John Simmons III thesis entitled The Development of External Sanitary Facilities Aboard Ships of the Fifteenth to Nineteenth Centuries for his MA in Anthropology at the Graduate College of Texas A&M University dated Dec 1985 he states the following (see screen capture from thesis below)...

As the Bellerophon was completed in 1787, she therefore did have this "pool"!

Very interesting.

Capture.JPG

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

• 4 weeks later...

After installing gudgeons and pintles the rudder got also a spectacle plate (made from cartridge paper) and eyebolts for emergency steering and securing the rudder.

The following painting of the outer hull was even more cumbersome than expected - mainly because I used a much too stiff masking tape for the first side. With a better tape the second one was a bit easier. I used tree paint covers and countless corrections and I still see flaws every time I look at the build. However I keep telling myself that all those imperfections add to the 'handmade' quality of the model. The paints are Admiralty water based paints, with 15% white in the yellow ochre and about 5% white in the dull black. The black looked rather grey on the brush but I like the finished paint.

The upper part of the rudder was painted as well and all the lower hinges touched up with copper paint.

The inner part of the side galleries and the cabins were 'grey washed'. I used white with just a little bit of black in order to get as close as possible to the impression on the pictures of Victory.

After touching up the gun port frames with red and provisionally hanging the rudder it was time for a photo session.

IMG_1601.jpg.1ec75365fa601e9f385a9ef1e373a664.jpg

seen from a distance, the paint looks ok

IMG_1603.thumb.jpg.74e1a0f31ac4b0ae969b73c934106310.jpg

the captain, inspecting the newly hanged rudder, is dwarfed by the ship

IMG_1611.jpg.6d59b67233a8d4ebb483e79b62f3a9bf.jpg

Ahoy Peter -- I know the experience of seeing flaws everywhere!  But after a glass or two of merlot, the eye begins to soften a bit, and the full beauty of the build stands out!

She's looking pretty good to my (sober) eye.  And the captain shows just what a big girl she is.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

hi peter,

could you post a picture of the spectacle plate?

thanks,

mort

ps

I love your build and hope to build a 74 one day 

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Hi Martin

All that merlot I would need to soften all those flaws would take a toll on my liver. Perhaps I could just take my glasses off?🍷🍷

Despite my reservations about her perfection, I admit I do like that big girl as well.

Hi Mort

Certainly. I will add a picture in the build log.

I see you are building Caldercraft's Victory but I cannot find the build log.😉

Cheers all

peter

IMG_1625.jpg.a048d44be6d539cd20fe697367a06da9.jpg

the spectacle plate in detail - a strip of cartridge paper and 2 eyebolts

upper deck guns and equipment

The next task - and test of my endurance -  will be installing the 28 guns on the upper deck. 10 of them will be partly rigged and following RMC's very sensible lead I will install just the train tackles and breech ropes as this will be the only - at least partly - visible parts of the gun rigging.

I'm a bit worried about guns breaking loose within the already closed decks (a fear shared by quite some of captain Aubrey's contemporaries) and will put a small nail through the carriage into the deck in addition to gluing them down.

IMG_1622.jpg.a559ea330b2139f0df9c3562e16b75db.jpg

Those guns are now provisionally placed and will be attached permanently one by one. The blurred paint dividing lines on the hull are clearly visible. I keep telling myself that the prototype was really hand-painted and done by visual judgement only. Therefore a little lack of perfection could perhaps add authenticity...

IMG_1616.thumb.jpg.1dda24593250d787ff3ea60db8ab7e5a.jpg

gun carriages will be hold in place by brute force

hi,

i am still researching  and organizing as far as the victory is concerned.  i intend starting her in 3 weeks or so.

thanks,

mort 

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

• 2 weeks later...

The rigging of the guns continues. I will have to put tackles to the 12 of them, which could be visible from above. On this sides you find a lot of great looking, meticulously made rope coils. However, as I'm a bit afraid of hard work I was looking for a simpler solution. Now, if the guns are run out but not ready to fire but fixed in this position, wouldn't you lash the tackles instead of just coiling the ropes on the deck, leaving the guns free to move? Well, this skipper does. Most probably you would fix the gun with the side tackles, leaving you free to take off the train tackles to stow them out of the way. This skipper doesn't. The train tackles will stay in place but lashed with the free end of the rope. This is easier to do, looks tidy and perhaps isn't completely wrong.

IMG_1629.jpg.1a09262b472b634c16f999e4732dc134.jpg

the skipper checks a finished gun

stern

Between placing the guns I worked a bit on the stern for a change. The bulkhead was assembled and put in place. Two nail heads serve as door knobs. Also the two ports on the lower counter got their portlids, the toping lifts still missing.

IMG_1646.jpg.1e180b8def26a64a7836e5bb6c4a90de.jpg

glazing of the windows was done with some leftover cellophane sheet - thinner and easier to work with than the kit's part

IMG_1644.jpg.bbe3323dc80f807cb63a9c3e0030075c.jpg

ports on the lower counter

The cast stern decoration for Bellerophon is a problem. It doesn't fit well and I can't bend it to follow the curve of the transom. But Elephant has an identical decoration with the exception of the middle part. This, an elephant, was scratched away. Then I made a casting mold from the white metal original kit part and first tried a plaster casting. This came out nicely but was much too brittle to work with. A second try with dual component glue came out quite well and even stayed a bit flexible - probably I made a little mistake in the mixture. I need a few more tries, but this will be the way to go.

IMG_1652.jpg.d15b9cd290c8b1c365272ba3bb671d88.jpg

Elephant decoration with elephant scratched away

IMG_1598.jpg.8885a931f051ada32c50ade0355fc1cf.jpg

original cast part, plaster casting and mold

IMG_1654.jpg.b738d5bcf5f69554f2ee87392e133019.jpg

white painted cast  of Bellerophon made with dual component glue

IMG_1656.jpg.0813c560dfebc10d240f68f474434d66.jpg

Bellerophon replacing the Elephant

Edited by flyer