Swan class 3D model in progress

Our Swan rendering guru Denis is already up to Chapter 9 in The Fully Framed Model. Those who have built a Swan class model will appreciate how detailed and perfect (unlike our models) his work is. Note the sandwiched leather between saucers  in the second photo emerging from the pump within the cistern. Enjoy and Happy Holidays from Admiralty Models!

pump wheel, links and saucers

5a3c801772675_chainpump1.thumb.png.d443c04bc9aab5b271ec3aee338a31ae.pngstove1.thumb.png.da53a7f76f9e4b23b0944ca715850e0e.pngstove2.thumb.png.e96980854b880f01369f7aa89bd9af33.pngrhoding

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks for posting this latest set of images Greg...Just last night I was studying the PE I recently received from you, checking the etch with the pages in TFFM...these images helped "close the gap" in my understanding of how the chain pump goes together...I can already see how these virtual images will be a great reference during the overall ship build!

Cliff Ward

Cary, North Carolina

USA

Yes Cliff, a picture is worth a thousand words. I, of course, am omitting the numerous intermediate photos involved in every step of the building process that Denis has included. I would highly recommend any Swan class model builders to wait until the work is finished as it is as valuable as TFFM texts are for building. 

Edited by dvm27
spelling error

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

These renders are superb - especially the last image with the pump crank handle bearing open - looking at the grain visible under the paint and the slight cast texture on the parts of the metal bearing where it hasn't been machined. Incredible detail beautiful work. Cheers Pete

thank you all! much appreciated. I hope you'll like the rest of the renders once they're done. I'm tying to include all the views and angles that might be interesting for model builders, or otherwise impossible to see on a scale model... 

Pete, would you believe the materials are a very simple affair? just a color and grain (bumps) textures. I could go nuts with the details, like smudges, leaks, stains, chips, cuts, wear and tear, even wet fingerprints, but that would bring my (or any) computer down to its knees, so generic materials only. glad you like them... 

cheers!

Denis

Current Build: HMS Pandora 3D modeling

Swan Class HMS Pegasus for Admiralty Models 3D Build

My other 3D work: Artstation

• 3 weeks later...

Greg, Denis - 

Just found this log and am blown away like everyone else.  I have the books but not the plans.  Can I still purchase the image set when it is done?  If so, I know what I want for next Christmas.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Nice work Greg,and it is a good idea to separate the design of the ship model from the rendering.As you have such a detailed 3D model, the file will be very large in the end, I estimate at least 1G, unless the model is optimized.

Simplify the model and restore the details with a normal map(use alfa map),this is a common technique at present. But it takes a lot of time(to do it ), and maybe it's another choice to improve the performance of the computer.

In any case, this will be a grand project. CAD and virtual simulation intervention ship model making, as well as more applications of CNC, may be used by more and more people in model making -- just like many power tools used to replace some manual works.

I talked with Greg and David about an idea I have. I would like to make a program where you would be able to walk around the ship, like in a video game. and I would also like to add a feature where you'd be able to select a single part and rotate and view it from all the angles. but that is a lot of work for a single person and might take a while. also, it would largely depend on how heavy the model will be once it's finished, even optimized. might be unusable in the end, at least on lower end computers :-))

but if I'm able to pull that off, it would be a great visualization tool for model builders. no promises but I'll definitely give that a go when I'm done with modeling...

cheers!

Denis

Current Build: HMS Pandora 3D modeling

Swan Class HMS Pegasus for Admiralty Models 3D Build

My other 3D work: Artstation

32 minutes ago, herask said:

I talked with Greg and David about an idea I have. I would like to make a program where you would be able to walk around the ship, like in a video game. and I would also like to add a feature where you'd be able to select a single part and rotate and view it from all the angles. but that is a lot of work for a single person and might take a while. also, it would largely depend on how heavy the model will be once it's finished, even optimized. might be unusable in the end, at least on lower end computers :-))

but if I'm able to pull that off, it would be a great visualization tool for model builders. no promises but I'll definitely give that a go when I'm done with modeling...

Hi Denis

Your idea is super cool-wondful.

I remember that a member used to use a game engine to make a ship model before, but the effect was not very good at that time.

Today, UE4 has an amazing real time effect. It can achieve the effect you imagine.And the software is free (last year).

I wanted to do it at first, but I had a crush on CNC, I want to get the true model, so I "over the wall":D

From the affirmation and expectation of so many members to your work,nice work you have done!

We want to make this CD as accurate and fun as possible but also affordable to everyone. Some of the higher end animations may not run on everyone's computers. We'll have to see how large the files are when finished. But chew on these for now. Denis is a genius!

dennis2.thumb.png.80192efa73f56017fd4d456654405ed9.pngDennisgun.thumb.png.64f84a04a24b9e8acc1ca88c16f3a00d.pngdennis4.thumb.png.f22d4973c78ff1f0450cd6ffcf758a59.png

dennis3.png

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Fantastic renderings.  Let me echo Greg's comment last month.  If one is considering starting a Swan class, hold off construction until they are available.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Just wow.... bouchetombe.gif.028b776d5478f00aadc55ae4af86b543.gif  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fantastic rendering work Greg,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Just to be clear this is the work of Denis Rakaric, on behalf of Admiralty Models. I believe his work ranks among the best in the world! 

10.6_Fore_Channel_03_preview.thumb.png.0b6d82903faa6111c6623eb927af6b05.png

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752