Swan class 3D model in progress

thank you, Greg! it's far from perfect but I'm trying... ;-) and thank you all for the likes and comments! 

cheers!

Denis

Current Build: HMS Pandora 3D modeling

Swan Class HMS Pegasus for Admiralty Models 3D Build

My other 3D work: Artstation

On 1/15/2018 at 8:01 PM, herask said:

I would also like to add a feature where you'd be able to select a single part and rotate and view it from all the angles.

Hi Denis - mate this build log is a tour de force of your skill - If you are able to incorporate a part view as you mentioned' I think you are close to the Holy Grail especially if the part view could be dimensioned, but I suspect this may be a bridge to far.

Looking at your work I'm thinking that you seem to be getting the same satisfaction and knowledge of how these engineering marvels of their day worked as we get making sawdust without the tools, workshop and respirator plus two or three years of work plus the downtime for the ooops factor.

The only upside I can think of for us is the smell of the wood and being able to display the fruits of our labour when the power goes off :-)

Fabulous work its a privilege to be able to watch it grow. Cheers Pete 

Pete, thank you for your kind words! indeed, before I started this endeavour I knew almost nothing about how these beauties were built, nor about their inner workings and all the nuances of their construction. so yeah, I'm really enjoying modeling one from scratch (bad pun, I know) and watching it grow. now that the ship's shape really shows, I guess I'm a little sad I won't be able to pick it up and hold it in my hands. that's one of the things I envy you real ship modelers. those ships were beautiful!!

then again, here's the next best thing...:D

20180124_125933.thumb.jpg.f77b69b3f5d411fd3347ff3affa4e4a2.jpg

I just looove fooling around with compositing renders onto photos as accurately as possible. done right and your neighbour will run out to take a photo by the Batmobile "parked" in front of our apartment building. yeah, I almost got my lights knocked out....:D:D:D

Edited by herask

cheers!

Denis

Your work is itself a work of art. I have seen convincing computer graphic images but your turned the application of the practicum on its head! It would be a joy to watch you work. In one sense its like painting with sand like the Tibetan Buddhist...oh so beautiful, so intricate, so artful, so amazing but so vulnerable. I do hope you have backed up those files.

Joe

PS what is the platform you are running on i.e. the memory, graphics, speed?

26 minutes ago, Thistle17 said:

I do hope you have backed up those files.

yep, in 3 places! :)

Joe, I'm modeling on Intel Core i7 4770k CPU, NVIDIA GTX770 2GB VRAM GPU, 24GB RAM. it's enough for modeling without a hitch but the GPU is starting to struggle with rendering.

cheers!

Denis

1 hour ago, herask said:

done right and your neighbour will run out to take a photo by the Batmobile "parked" in front of our apartment building. yeah, I almost got my lights knocked out..

just as long as you don't do one of you with his wife while he's outside taking the photos - :-) pete

ps: I really can't tell that your render in the lounge isn't real world - amazing!

Edited by PeteB

Denis I was looking more closely at earlier images and your rendering is so detailed. Lighting through the gratings and down the companion way, wood grain, shadows its mind boggling. Its no wonder the GPU is staring to struggle. Nonetheless you are an artist of noteworthy talent. You have my admiration.Joe

Hi Denis - meant to mention in my last post that the texture of the rope and seizing in your post of the ships cannon are incredible. I would love to be able to get my tackle to have that weighted look of the full size rope you have managed in the render and which brings me to the 64 thousand dollar question "are you going to complete her with full rigging " ??? cheers pete

Edited by PeteB

Pete, that's the intention, yes! will it make a hole in space-time continuum and melt my computer... probably! :D on a serious note, I think the rigging and sailcloth won't add much to polycount, no more than all of the deck planking. it's how I'm going to do it what scares the hell out me...

cheers!

Denis

• 2 months later...

Brilliant, Denis!  I will be smiling all day.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

uP54ckY.gif.a3b0c44b1e36f0d8644a17f9a4387085.gif  Thanks to tecko for the gif.  I am afraid there is no going back for you Denis.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Well!  What to say? I spend one evening going over what Doris does with card and I'm amazed, then today I stumble onto this thread and am wondering what the limits are to the talents of the members of this forum. Denis your work is absolutely amazing, those pictures of the cannons and the surface textures of the wood and metal not only of small parts but whole scenes. Druxey said it "There is no hope for you Denis"

Looking at your renderings makes me want to build them.... but I know that I do not have enough time in my life knowing how I switch from one thing to another. But I am going to have to get the books now so that I can read about how to build one, then get the pictures of your work as well so that I can dream about building one of these beautiful ships. 

And yes when you have finished this one perhaps a small yacht like Brittania

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thank you Michael. really glad you like this work, considering it's not a real thing. it does take some effort to do 3d modeling but I don't think it can compare to the real magic you guys do around here. I can look at Amalio's Montanes, for example, and admire his joinery all day long. this is not false modesty when I say my 3D joints aren't as clean as his are. 

about my next build, I plan on finishing Pandora first, then I'll have to choose from Naiad, Bonhomme Richard, Le Fleuron, French 74-gun ship (strong contender) and (coming late to Idea Party) Bismarck, Yamato or Type XXI U-Boat from AoTS series. I guess I'm covered for years to come, haha! oh boy, there really is no hope for me...

Edited by herask

cheers!

Denis

Denis - just so you know, I find myself continually coming back to look at these pictures as they really show a level of detail just not normally seen on even the most perfectly executed models.  So looking forward to being able to access somehow the complete library.

Given the state of 3D printing, wouldn't it be nice if one could just hit 'print'....maybe one day :P

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

• 3 weeks later...

hi, Zach. yep, blender has digital sculpting feature included. I followed a tutorial on modeling a horse and just added wings in the end :-) don't worry, I don't know how to sculpt digitally either. currently having the time of my life with stern carvings... not! the only advice I can give you is try it and then some more again after you smashed your keyboard in frustration. patience and practice I'm afraid... ;-)

cheers!

Denis

• 5 months later...

hey folks! it's been a while since we posted last progress update. in the meantime I have managed to finish the hull thus completing the first two volumes of TFFM series. yay! 

currently doing the standing rigging, and having a blast with it.... sort of... ropes are not fun in 3D. but the ship is looking more and more beautiful with each day. can't wait to set sails... anyway, Greg gave me green light to post a few renders. hope you like!

Rigging_WIP.thumb.jpg.8d4ce14d76816e2833af59747abf5722.jpg

15.14_Outer_Bobstay_and_Fore_Stay_and_Preventer_Stay_Collars_01.thumb.png.d32b2415b6068fc205068eb5622a9320.png

15.23_Mizzen_Shrouds_01.thumb.png.8308aeda23f2d5948ad4683a8a2a2f89.png

15.24_Fore_and_Main_Shrouds_03.thumb.png.f4b64eb3f11f985bb6145c5ab1c99054.png

15.34_Ratlines_03.thumb.png.022da0d12ba54d0447ed0abbb7335731.png

cheers!

Denis

Wow!!!

Fantastic work

Regards

Paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful work! Just thinking about that rigging makes me shudder - I hate tying knots in CAD! You are a glutton for punishment.

Phil

• 8 months later...

Our fully rigged Swan class  3D model is almost complete. How cool would it have been to have this photo when building your fully framed model? The CD should be ready later this year. Kudos to Denis!

2013250390_Swanbow.thumb.png.ff3bb92371f122e5616c5d7f31246246.png

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752