Swan class 3D model in progress

Admiralty Models has been working with a very talented 3D computer modeler who is building us a Swan class ship model (Pegasus). Besides the exceptional quality of his work, I can see the enormous benefit of a 3D model in showing how all the various pieces fit together. As the model's construction closely follows the actual vessel, it's build may be viewed in sequential layers. Our builder is precisely following the four volume Fully Framed Ship Model series of books, bringing David Antscherl's seminal work to life. In the near future, we will be offering the fully framed and fitted out computer model to those in the process of building a Swan  class model or are contemplating building one. Between the Swan books and computer images I believe we will have the most comprehensive instructions and photos available for  building a fully framed ship model. Stay tuned!

2.1_Aft_Fashion_Piece_02.thumb.png.985cfac4dd14cfd18dc87bbca90d58d9.png2.2_Vertical_Filler_Pieces_01.thumb.png.829e9862092bbab2c10564319b040255.png4.1_Keelson_01.thumb.png.5b3aac861c5ba327819dfa31198b0101.png4.4_The_Ribbands_and_Harpins_05.thumb.png.bfe1c326590faebd2c84a5ba36fd2dc5.png

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

How good is that :) !!!! A pity it wasn't available 5 years ago before I started Vulture, I may have made a few less mistakes :D .

BTW - I'd like to see anyone cut the rebates in the bottom of the Keelson that neatly .... AND get them to fit ;):).

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I know what you mean, Danny. Remember that wicked sternpost and aft rabbet transition? David's illustrations were awesome but how helpful would these photos have been!

1.25_Finished_SternpostAssembly_03.thumb.png.531551ccad0ef2498558a13b4f55de16.png1.27_Keel_Rabbet_02.thumb.png.3bbdb6dcbbc2fce1c1345c9dbe1f3223.png

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

9 hours ago, wrkempson said:

Astounding model.  Thank you for the renderings.

May I ask what software is being used and, if not too personal, what are the specs on the computer employed? 

Wayne

I could tell you Wayne...but then I'd have to kill you! Seriously, our renderings are being done by a very talented individual in Europe. I have no idea what software or computer he uses and wouldn't understand even if he told me. But I honestly can't tell whether the photo below is his rendering or my model.

3.6_The_Knee_of_the_Head_Taper_04.thumb.png.407dd687dc0f8fde8110da4c6774d040.png

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 2 weeks later...
On Thursday, 27 July, 2017 at 8:49 AM, dvm27 said:

May I ask what software is being used and, if not too personal, what are the specs on the computer employed?

Wayne

Hi Greg - Like Wayne I would be very interested in knowing which program your very talented 3D computer modeler is using - Not so much for the rendering - but the program he is using to construct the model itself. The reason being that some programs such as Solidworks and other upper end programs automatically produce a cutting list or Bill of Materials which for myself and I'm sure most of the members would prove an invaluable tool to calculate their total timber order or group different parts of the same thickness lumber which they may have available while waiting for an order etc.

Programs like solidworks  and others can calculate any size stage giving the totals of the varying thicknesses which make up the total along with individual or total weights and costs for the various materials selected for the Build. I understand that a practiced user can lay out the individual parts into a sketch plan to minimise wastage similar to a cnc cutting program.

Cheers Pete

Edited by PeteB
Typos

• 2 months later...

Denis has been busy building our 3D Swan class ship. It's very exciting when it all comes together, for example the aft platform view below from the main deck (photo below). When paired with The Fully Framed Model series of books I don't believe there will be another more thoroughly researched and illustrated ship model reference available.

6.39_Aft_Platform_Ladder_02a.thumb.png.af43eff8e4349977fbff0bd2ed56e0b6.png6.36_Pump_Intake_Chambers_02.thumb.png.fe02f8977c55425019f1ee7551debfa2.png 

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Your artist is doing some magical work, Greg.  I hope you'll show us more.  The detail is incredible.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Greg - this is just amazing to see.  Will the 'photos' be published in a book, or be viewable on a PC?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

35 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Your artist is doing some magical work, Greg.  I hope you'll show us more.  The detail is incredible.

Yes, Denis's work is amazing. You should see the high resolution photos. I honestly can't tell his work from mine (well, actually I can...his work is flawless).

David and I will absolutely be releasing these photos, which follow our books chapter by chapter, when Denis is finished. The photos will be viewable on a PC in high resolution. Printing costs would be enormous so that's not an option. We wish to provide them, at a very reasonable price, to those who have purchased our Swan class plans over the years, sort of a parting gift from Admiralty Models for all your support over the years.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

14 hours ago, dvm27 said:

We wish to provide them, at a very reasonable price, to those who have purchased our Swan class plans over the years, sort of a parting gift from Admiralty Models for all your support over the years.

Put me on the list for that one :). It's like he climbed into my Vulture and started taking snaps - I wish :D:D .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

True that, Danny. Most of the features on the platforms and lower deck are not visible in our finished models. How cool would it be to show the photo below and say "this is what my magazine looks like"?

5.32_Magazine_Fittings_10.thumb.jpg.b627e9b9cfa8d18962aa8b2bee44f2f7.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Just now, dvm27 said:

How cool would it be to show the photo below and say "this is what my magazine looks like"?

I wish mine did look like that :D. Yeah, I agree - they look a lot better than the fuzzy pics I took of my model.

Cheers, Danny

hi all!

now that cat's out of the bag I can make an appearance here :D. David and Greg have contacted me after seeing my work on Pandora and have given me the opportunity to create 3D build log of their swan class ship. it's been an awesome experience and I've learned a lot in these few months. also big thanks to both of them for having patience with my inexperience and oh-my-god-can't-believe-he-just-asked-that questions... :o

On 7/25/2017 at 8:49 PM, Dan Vadas said:

A pity it wasn't available 5 years ago before I started Vulture, I may have made a few less mistakes :D .

Danny, a big thank you is in order for you too. I'm using your build log as one of the references when I get stuck. :imNotWorthy: so it's the other way around, haha!

On 7/26/2017 at 2:54 PM, wrkempson said:

Wayne, as with Pandora I'm using Blender, free modeling tool. unfortunately no drawing and BIM export option, as it's not a CAD program but a general purpose one.

my computer is (now ageing) Core i7 4770k paired with Nvidia GTX770. would really like to nail new GTX1080 though. rendering on GPU literally flies but I could use more powerful one now that the model is becoming more complex...

also big thx to all of you for nice comments. glad you like the pics ;-)

cheers!

Denis

Current Build: HMS Pandora 3D modeling

Swan Class HMS Pegasus for Admiralty Models 3D Build

My other 3D work: Artstation

On 10/11/2017 at 10:26 PM, dvm27 said:

We wish to provide them, at a very reasonable price, to those who have purchased our Swan class plans over the years, sort of a parting gift from Admiralty Models for all your support over the years.

Parting gift?? Where are you going??

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

1 hour ago, Gleep93 said:

I just have one question. Is the Pandora also a swan class frigate?

No, she was a Porcupine class.

Cheers, Danny

• 1 month later...

For those of you curious about how an actual rudder was constructed, our resident 3D guru, Denis, has prepared these renderings for our Swan class model. These tabled joints would be very difficult to emulate on model (please give it a go Mark!) and virtually impossible to see unless you could actually visualize both sides of the rudder at the same time. When completed our 3D Swan class ship will offer a more complete (and historically accurate) treatise on contemporary ship building than the AOS series.

rudder1.thumb.png.f5e8a52561759aaf622e60f14fbb8d2c.pngrudder2.thumb.png.21c057f4e915bd73507a41c28636077f.png7.39_Rudder_Shipped_01_preview.thumb.png.d2f691b051266ed7eaf0f4c36455968e.png

Edited by dvm27
replaced photo

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Just amazing - I think it would have been amusing to not reveal that this was actually a CGI build and see the comments of incredulity on the 'build'.  :P

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)