thank you, Greg! it's far from perfect but I'm trying... ;-) and thank you all for the likes and comments! 

dvm27, Canute and MEDDO like this

On 1/15/2018 at 8:01 PM, herask said:

I would also like to add a feature where you'd be able to select a single part and rotate and view it from all the angles.

Hi Denis - mate this build log is a tour de force of your skill - If you are able to incorporate a part view as you mentioned' I think you are close to the Holy Grail especially if the part view could be dimensioned, but I suspect this may be a bridge to far.

Looking at your work I'm thinking that you seem to be getting the same satisfaction and knowledge of how these engineering marvels of their day worked as we get making sawdust without the tools, workshop and respirator plus two or three years of work plus the downtime for the ooops factor.

The only upside I can think of for us is the smell of the wood and being able to display the fruits of our labour when the power goes off :-)

Fabulous work its a privilege to be able to watch it grow. Cheers Pete 

Canute likes this

Pete, thank you for your kind words! indeed, before I started this endeavour I knew almost nothing about how these beauties were built, nor about their inner workings and all the nuances of their construction. so yeah, I'm really enjoying modeling one from scratch (bad pun, I know) and watching it grow. now that the ship's shape really shows, I guess I'm a little sad I won't be able to pick it up and hold it in my hands. that's one of the things I envy you real ship modelers. those ships were beautiful!!

then again, here's the next best thing...:D

20180124_125933.thumb.jpg.f77b69b3f5d411fd3347ff3affa4e4a2.jpg

I just looove fooling around with compositing renders onto photos as accurately as possible. done right and your neighbour will run out to take a photo by the Batmobile "parked" in front of our apartment building. yeah, I almost got my lights knocked out....:D:D:D

Edited by herask
Canute, gjdale, aviaamator and 3 others like this

Your work is itself a work of art. I have seen convincing computer graphic images but your turned the application of the practicum on its head! It would be a joy to watch you work. In one sense its like painting with sand like the Tibetan Buddhist...oh so beautiful, so intricate, so artful, so amazing but so vulnerable. I do hope you have backed up those files.

Joe

PS what is the platform you are running on i.e. the memory, graphics, speed?

PeteB, Canute and herask like this

26 minutes ago, Thistle17 said:

I do hope you have backed up those files.

yep, in 3 places! :)

Joe, I'm modeling on Intel Core i7 4770k CPU, NVIDIA GTX770 2GB VRAM GPU, 24GB RAM. it's enough for modeling without a hitch but the GPU is starting to struggle with rendering.

Canute likes this

1 hour ago, herask said:

done right and your neighbour will run out to take a photo by the Batmobile "parked" in front of our apartment building. yeah, I almost got my lights knocked out..

just as long as you don't do one of you with his wife while he's outside taking the photos - :-) pete

ps: I really can't tell that your render in the lounge isn't real world - amazing!

Edited by PeteB
herask likes this

Denis I was looking more closely at earlier images and your rendering is so detailed. Lighting through the gratings and down the companion way, wood grain, shadows its mind boggling. Its no wonder the GPU is staring to struggle. Nonetheless you are an artist of noteworthy talent. You have my admiration.Joe

PeteB and herask like this

Hi Denis - meant to mention in my last post that the texture of the rope and seizing in your post of the ships cannon are incredible. I would love to be able to get my tackle to have that weighted look of the full size rope you have managed in the render and which brings me to the 64 thousand dollar question "are you going to complete her with full rigging " ??? cheers pete

Edited by PeteB
herask likes this

Pete, that's the intention, yes! will it make a hole in space-time continuum and melt my computer... probably! :D on a serious note, I think the rigging and sailcloth won't add much to polycount, no more than all of the deck planking. it's how I'm going to do it what scares the hell out me...

oneslim and PeteB like this