Admiralty Models has been working with a very talented 3D computer modeler who is building us a Swan class ship model (Pegasus). Besides the exceptional quality of his work, I can see the enormous benefit of a 3D model in showing how all the various pieces fit together. As the model's construction closely follows the actual vessel, it's build may be viewed in sequential layers. Our builder is precisely following the four volume Fully Framed Ship Model series of books, bringing David Antscherl's seminal work to life. In the near future, we will be offering the fully framed and fitted out computer model to those in the process of building a Swan  class model or are contemplating building one. Between the Swan books and computer images I believe we will have the most comprehensive instructions and photos available for  building a fully framed ship model. Stay tuned!

2.1_Aft_Fashion_Piece_02.thumb.png.985cfac4dd14cfd18dc87bbca90d58d9.png2.2_Vertical_Filler_Pieces_01.thumb.png.829e9862092bbab2c10564319b040255.png4.1_Keelson_01.thumb.png.5b3aac861c5ba327819dfa31198b0101.png4.4_The_Ribbands_and_Harpins_05.thumb.png.bfe1c326590faebd2c84a5ba36fd2dc5.png

mtaylor, JohnE, Mike Y and 16 others like this

How good is that :) !!!! A pity it wasn't available 5 years ago before I started Vulture, I may have made a few less mistakes :D .

BTW - I'd like to see anyone cut the rebates in the bottom of the Keelson that neatly .... AND get them to fit ;):).

:cheers:  Danny

druxey, PeteB, Chuck and 3 others like this

9 hours ago, wrkempson said:

Astounding model.  Thank you for the renderings.

May I ask what software is being used and, if not too personal, what are the specs on the computer employed? 

Wayne

I could tell you Wayne...but then I'd have to kill you! Seriously, our renderings are being done by a very talented individual in Europe. I have no idea what software or computer he uses and wouldn't understand even if he told me. But I honestly can't tell whether the photo below is his rendering or my model.

3.6_The_Knee_of_the_Head_Taper_04.thumb.png.407dd687dc0f8fde8110da4c6774d040.png

Canute, oneslim, Don9of11 and 7 others like this

Posted (edited)
On Thursday, 27 July, 2017 at 8:49 AM, dvm27 said:

May I ask what software is being used and, if not too personal, what are the specs on the computer employed?

Wayne

Hi Greg - Like Wayne I would be very interested in knowing which program your very talented 3D computer modeler is using - Not so much for the rendering - but the program he is using to construct the model itself. The reason being that some programs such as Solidworks and other upper end programs automatically produce a cutting list or Bill of Materials which for myself and I'm sure most of the members would prove an invaluable tool to calculate their total timber order or group different parts of the same thickness lumber which they may have available while waiting for an order etc.

Programs like solidworks  and others can calculate any size stage giving the totals of the varying thicknesses which make up the total along with individual or total weights and costs for the various materials selected for the Build. I understand that a practiced user can lay out the individual parts into a sketch plan to minimise wastage similar to a cnc cutting program.

Cheers Pete

Edited by PeteB
Typos
Canute likes this