SMS Helgoland by Papa - Modelik - 1:200 - CARD

Hard to say Ron - perhaps part of the Rudder? It's definitely part of the lower hull below the waterline. It might need folding but it's an odd shape. Can you put up a pic of the other Hull Skins?

Good to see you took the advice on extra hull bracing :).

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

My guess is the publisher has just filled in the blank space between parts with a colour 'swatch' which can be used to make repairs or patches.  Some publishers do this, others don't which is a pain as it means trying to colour match any repairs.  Usually big enough to make at least one full size replacement part though.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

i must say, that you posted almost perfect snaps of i assume majority of the kit. if i was you, i would put something across the pages prior to picture taking, just to make life of pirates a bit more miserable.

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

19 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

My guess is the publisher has just filled in the blank space between parts with a colour 'swatch' which can be used to make repairs or patches.

Doh .... of course it is :D. I gotta say, they sure pack them onto a page.

4 hours ago, maaaslo said:

i must say, that you posted almost perfect snaps of i assume majority of the kit. if i was you, i would put something across the pages prior to picture taking, just to make life of pirates a bit more miserable.

No real problem there Pav - the pics are too low a resolution to be of any use to someone copying them.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

danny, you would be surprised what have i found in the dark corners of the internet...

copies so bad, that unless you would use repainting heavily, there is no way to build anything presentable out of it...

Edited by maaaslo

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

15 minutes ago, maaaslo said:

danny, you would be surprised what have i found in the dark corners of the internet...

copies so bad, that unless you would use repainting heavily, there is no way to build anything presentable out of it...

Fair enough ;).

Cheers, Danny

I deleted the whole post for you.

Cheers, Danny

• 4 weeks later...

It looks to be a good start. Nice that they've included the strips for the seams.

Where did you go in Italy?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Now that I have nearly finished the hull I have learned some valuable lessons.:default_wallbash:

1. Use white glue VERY sparingly.

2. Keep your workspace spotless so that you don't lay a critical part on some wet paint:default_wallbash::default_wallbash:

3. Thicken the bulkheads or add lots of longitudinal bracing so that all of the hull plates lie smoothly.

4. Trim the seam-hiding strips so that the additional armor plates do not overlap and leave an ugly bump.

5. Write part numbers on the back before cutting out.

I can't wait to see what I learn as I attempt the deck furnishings.:cheers:

3 hours ago, ragove said:

2. Keep your workspace spotless so that you don't lay a critical part on some wet paint

I certainly agree with all the above Ron, but Number 2 doesn't work for me (see pic :D:D:D ) :

mess.JPG

Cheers, Danny

21 hours ago, ragove said:

Neat workspaces are a sign of a disturbed mind.

I think you're right Ron. I must be getting better then :D.

When I finished skinning the hull of Amatsukaze I made and attached the permanent stand to it. I also tack glued a large sheet of balsa under the stand as a protection against bumping into the odd tool (or twenty ;)) on the bench. That all worked rather well  :).

Stand (1).JPG

Hull Lacquered.JPG

If you intend using that cradle, I'd suggest you cut largish 45 degree angles into the uprights - they look like they will restrict your reach somewhat. I can see bruised wrists coming up ;).

Cheers, Danny

5 hours ago, Dan Vadas said:

If you intend using that cradle, I'd suggest you cut largish 45 degree angles into the uprights - they look like they will restrict your reach somewhat. I can see bruised wrists coming up ;).

Don't think that is necessary, the cradle is foam-core poster board so not likely to injure me.  But, point taken, the edges might get in the way.  I will see how it goes as i progress.  Not sure what to do for a permanent mount if she ever gets finished.

• 2 weeks later...