She must be making 20 knots! That's an interesting render. The figures are very convincing.

5 knots actually. Same setup as in the other recent movies. It is an optical illusion due to the fact that the camera is extremely close to the water surface and the little waves are passing by just a few centimeters before the camera. Not so optimal after all.

• 1 year later...

Hi,
here some updates from my lifetime project after a longer break. I am revisting it dramatically at the moment. My crew got some spectacular new members. It is not perfect and amateurish but some hard challenges could be solved.
More to come...

This goes into the right direction ...

I need some more of them:

The latest effort. Made me almost crazy ...

This is an easy one.

He will have his place on a yard.

Pulling ...

The best imho out of this group ...

This was the second i made ...

Again on the yard.

This is all for the moment.

Quite amazing, the animation ! I noted the same, that the change of hands during pulling isn't quite right, as there is a moment when no hand touches the rope, which would be physically impossible, the rope would drop immediately or run out.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh, my ears and whiskers! That's quite the flyaround. All I'm missing now is the sound of water against the hull, flapping of canvas and shout of orders!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Awesome 

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

There are no words for this... it just has too much "Wow" in it.  I've played it 6 times and every time I see more detail.  The two men on the yardarm and one in the top, the movement on the deck, even the view through the gunports.   I shudder to think of the render time to get all this in there.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just seen this - stunning. Love the seaman in the Hawaiian shirt!

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Very impressive work.  Hand over hand is the correct technique BUT, one hand must always remain on the rope being handled.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

17 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Very impressive work.  Hand over hand is the correct technique BUT, one hand must always remain on the rope being handled.

cheers

Pat

Right. I was restricted to the motion capture I got and to my own ablilities. As a detail in the overall composition it does its job.

On 9.2.2018 at 5:54 AM, mtaylor said:

There are no words for this... it just has too much "Wow" in it.  I've played it 6 times and every time I see more detail.  The two men on the yardarm and one in the top, the movement on the deck, even the view through the gunports.   I shudder to think of the render time to get all this in there.   

Indeed. Render time was horrible. Several weeks. Each frame around 25 minutes. The ocean did consume most of ot. I was concerned that my little 10 year old Dell workstation would be harmed. But this is obviously what it is made for.

On 8.2.2018 at 9:37 PM, druxey said:

Oh, my ears and whiskers! That's quite the flyaround. All I'm missing now is the sound of water against the hull, flapping of canvas and shout of orders!

Yep. Attaching sound to objects and areas in the 3D scene is something ahead of me. Will see when I tackle this ...

• 3 weeks later...

OMG! This is Magnificent! How long have you been working on this?

I must confess I have been dabbling in CAD recently and I have caught the bug. I will never do something like this. :o but I am enjoying the power provided. I do have a question - I am sure you are aware that many of us would love to have crew that are to the right scale as our models. It add life and perspective. Would it be possible for me to buy some of your crew from you and print them on a 3D printer?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2.3.2018 at 5:29 PM, fnkershner said:

OMG! This is Magnificent! How long have you been working on this?

I must confess I have been dabbling in CAD recently and I have caught the bug. I will never do something like this. :o but I am enjoying the power provided. I do have a question - I am sure you are aware that many of us would love to have crew that are to the right scale as our models. It add life and perspective. Would it be possible for me to buy some of your crew from you and print them on a 3D printer?

Hi,

it is a lifetime project. More than 10 years but of course with sporadical intensity. The crew models come out of three programs. None of them is CAD but more artistic 3D software. The body mesh and rigging comes from DAZ 3D. The animated clothing is done in marvelous designer. Then it ends all up in cinema 4D which is my big 3D suite. It is all just for fun and without any commercial interest. C4D seems to be able to export to .STL format. I need to check this ..

If you can create an STL. I have the printer. The most common request I get from fellow modelers is can you make a scale crew member. I would love to collaborate!!

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10: