IJN Battleship Mikasa by CDW - 1:200 scale - Plastic - Wave Models

I am learning real fast that building a pre-dreadnaught model is far different than a modern warship. Construction and painting sequence is foreign to me. The hull has so much more detail than a modern warship. I should have added these gun port covers and painted them along with the captain's walkway at the stern of the ship yesterday. it would have saved me an additional masking task.

Although there is a lot more detail to be added to the hull, I am going to move to the deck and superstructure next. I am concerned that if I add more hull details now, I will damage and lose them while handling the model during the remainder of construction.

DSCN1633edit.jpg

DSCN1634edit.jpg

DSCN1635edit.jpg

DSCN1636edit.jpg

I found it more effective to finish the hull, give it a mat or satin coat of lacquer, and move on to the deck and super structures. You do not need to bother about the hull anymore, once you have applied lacquer

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

1 hour ago, cog said:

I found it more effective to finish the hull, give it a mat or satin coat of lacquer, and move on to the deck and super structures. You do not need to bother about the hull anymore, once you have applied lacquer

There are so many other fragile parts yet to be built on the hull...walkways, derricks, torpedo net booms, on and on. No way in heck I am doing all that now. It will get knocked off and lost for sure.

bad enough you had to add those guns........be careful  ;)    hull looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

When you go to apply these Pontos wooden decks, be prepared to spend several hours carefully trimming the edges so the thing will fit - before you attempt to apply it. They are not as precise as they should be and are definitely not a drop fit. Once you peel off that adhesive backing and start applying it to your model, there is no turning back. It's a wrap.

Before I bought the Pontos update set, I had bought an Artvox wood deck. I could have used the Artvox deck to see if it was more precisely cut, but the Pontos deck is made to go along with their update set whereas the Artvox deck is made to fit/use the stock kit fittings and molded on detail that was removed from my deck in the initial stages of construction.

Just to give you an idea of how far off it is, look at the red arrow that shows the pre-made holes in the plastic deck as opposed to where Pontos has placed the holes in their wooden deck. Close, but no cigar. It won't be hard to drill new holes in the plastic beneath the wood, but it will have to be done.

Remember the old carpenter's addage when you're trimming that wood deck..."you can take more off, but you can't add more back on." Trim and cut very small amounts at a time until you get the fit you want.

DSCN1637edit.jpg

DSCN1638edit.jpg

DSCN1639edit2.jpg

My deck was the same as yours - some of the holes were slighly miss aligned but I put that down to my handling and placing the deck.   I even dry fitted it first with the backing on,  also I found that the deck needs to be carefuly pressed into place to avoid air bubbles - even after it was down I was still finding a few high spots due to it either lifting or not being pressed down enough.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Did you use the "wet" method to glue the deck? Or did you simply fit it, peel the backing and glued it on the plastic deck?

I did buy the Artwox set for the HobbyBoss model. There are two flavors of the Artwox wooden decks, one for the Merit kit and one for the Hobbyboss kit. I think the kits represent the ship at different eras.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

1 hour ago, yvesvidal said:

Did you use the "wet" method to glue the deck? Or did you simply fit it, peel the backing and glued it on the plastic deck?

I did buy the Artwox set for the HobbyBoss model. There are two flavors of the Artwox wooden decks, one for the Merit kit and one for the Hobbyboss kit. I think the kits represent the ship at different eras.

Yves

Doing some research last night, I read where there may be a difference in some of the early releases of the Mikasa from the more recent ones. As you may know, my Mikasa is the Wave kit, and the Wave kit was the first Mikasa edition released. Later, it was released under the HobbyBoss label. There may be differences in the decks as you mentioned. That may account for why my deck needed to be trimmed, but I cannot say for certain. Mine just was not a good fit along the entire perimeter of the deck...wood deck too large. Maybe it has to do with weather conditions, humidity and heat - swelling or shrinkage?

In any event, I used the 'wet' method, having first brushed on a bit of water with a couple of drops of dish washing detergent before peeling and sticking the deck.

Here in this picture, I placed the final wood main deck section. Now, only small pieces remain to be added after the superstructure is built.

Next, on to ventilators and cable reels.

DSCN1640edit.jpg

love the way those wooden decks look......wish they had 'em for the model I'm look'in to do.   you did a great job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

21 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

love the way those wooden decks look......wish they had 'em for the model I'm look'in to do.   you did a great job!

Thank you Popeye. 

I'm now working on all the little photo etch deck fixtures. Lots and lots of them. Every one is made up of multiple parts. I'm trying to decide whether to vary the shades of gray to break things up a bit, or to keep it all the same base color gray and vary things through post shading and washes. Maybe should do both.

There is very little reference material I can find for Mikasa. I guess because it's so old. I'm trying to find a good reference for the rigging as that will be a prominent part of this model. All I've found so far is a very rudimentary drawing from Hasegawa provided in their 1:350 kit. Very little is out there that I have found so far. If anyone knows of good reference photos and line drawings for Mikasa, please let me know.

I did a search using Google....lots of good pictures looking at images.   I'll look further ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

30 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I did a search using Google....lots of good pictures looking at images.   I'll look further ;) 

Yeah, there are photo images that come up from a Google search, but they're all taken from so far out, they're of little value for detail reference...particularly for rigging/where it's tied off/belaying points, etc.

Doesnt stuff look excellent at this scale - so much detail.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

very nice :) .......lot of ventilation stacks.   were you supposed to remove all those circles on the deck?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

7 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

very nice :) .......lot of ventilation stacks.   were you supposed to remove all those circles on the deck?

Those are actually location markers for something. I'm being cryptic because I don't actually know what they are at this point. They are round photo etched discs with some details scribed on top of them.  

Have you got the full pe intructions (Pontos)?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Yes, I have the full instructions that came with the Pontos set, if that's what you are asking. But there is nothing on the instructions that identifies what the various parts are, just their identification number in the Pontos scheme of things and drawings to indicate where they are attached. 

They (round disks) are fairly prominent on any 1/200 scale rendering of the Pontos equipped Mikasa, but I have yet to read anyone give a name to the object. I presume they are some type of cover for something, What, I do not know.

They might be the covers for the coal chutes. They got bags of coal on the deck and dumped them into bunkers via these chutes.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

5 hours ago, CDW said:

Those are actually location markers for something. I'm being cryptic because I don't actually know what they are at this point. They are round photo etched discs with some details scribed on top of them.  

AA guns for certain ... ;) :D :D :D 

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

7 hours ago, CDW said:

photo etched discs with some details scribed on top of them.

Ken beat me to it. They are coal shuttles and the ship needed a lot of them in order to get refueling done in a timely manner. These ships were not noted as high millage vessels.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

Ken beat me to it. They are coal shuttles and the ship needed a lot of them in order to get refueling done in a timely manner. These ships were not noted as high millage vessels.

Must have been one heck of a big sweat shop in that hold below for all the poor blokes shoveling coal. 

No wonder this ship has so many ventilators. Lots and lots of coal dust.

Wonder if these pics might help  - they are from the Pontos intorduction of the pe set.

OC.

main3.jpg

main4.jpg

main5.jpg

main6.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks for the photos, OC.

Yesterday, Popeye had asked whether I needed to remove some round spots on the wooden deck. I answered, no, they were markers for some unidentified PE disks that are shown on the plans but not identified for what they are. In later conversation, we decided the round covers are actually coal chutes...where they loaded coal for firing the turbines into the ship's hold. These covers are dotted all over the deck of the ship. My comment was simply that the actual parts are not identified as to what function they serve. But I think we have that much cleared up now. Thanks!

Mikasa Coal Chutes.jpg

9 hours ago, CDW said:

Must have been one heck of a big sweat shop in that hold below for all the poor blokes shoveling coal.

I would not be surprised that if you had the plans available the coal chutes below those holes would be rather narrow, almost like a somewhat thick double hull. they were built that way to act as a kind of armor plating of sorts with the idea that the coal would absorb some of the impact of a round.

It is certain though that coaling was probably the least favorite activity of crews around the world at that time. As for the people who shoveled it into the fireboxes? There was a reason they were called the black gang! Nothing racial about it at all.

Just think how it must have been for the Russian crews who as the bunkers were used up had to refill them at sea from the extra coal that was stored on deck! They had to do this for months on their way to getting sunk at the battle of Tsushima!   

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey