IJN Mikasa by CDW - Wave Models - 1:200 scale - PLASTIC

Nice work Craig. PE really makes the model, love it.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

For the moment, Mikasa is in dry dock. Our oldest daughter and her husband flew in from New Hampshire (from Popeye's hometown of Manchester) and we are having lots of fun spending time together and going places. Spent the day at Tarpon Springs today seeing the sites, then had a big family party tonight with cookout.

Let the good times roll. 

Looking marvelous mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

looks really nice....the PE detail adds quite a bit to the structure  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Very tasty looking guns  - she is coming on really well mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Well done on that bridge. And your weapons work is really good.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I built scale models for many years, but primarily cars, motorcycles, aircraft, and military vehicles, UNTIL I read this little book around/about 1990.

After that, I jumped right into ship models. If you ever have a chance to pick up a copy of this book, by all means, get it. The author does some amazing things with plastic ship models. Inspiring, for sure.

img107.jpg

Craig,

Thanks for the thumbs-up on my HMS Swan picture posts. You may be interested to know that I'm just getting started on my new build: HobbyBoss 1/200 IJN Mikasa...w/Pontos PE set. I wanted to try something radically different than what I've been doing for the last few years.

I've scanned through your build log and your work looks really excellent, an inspiration....especially when one of those miniscule (no, make that "microscopic"!) parts goes "ping"...and its forever lost.

I'm very excited about building the Mikasa this Fall and Winter.

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Oh, wow Ron! That's going to be fun to see your Mikasa. I am looking forward to that.

I think one of the prominent features of this ship will be it's boats. I'm going to try to find some reference pictures for them, but may have to use some creative license to get what I want.

I hope you will come back and let me know when you start your Mikasa build so I don't miss it. Thanks for your kind comments and for stopping by.

Plodding along.

Here is the rear bridge sans search lights, ladders, and crew figures.

What does one call the two pipes coming up on each side of the binnacle? I'm guessing those are the pipes used for verbal communication with the engine room and so forth, but I have no idea what they're called. Anyone know?

DSCN1762edit.jpg

DSCN1763edit.jpg

DSCN1764edit.jpg

DSCN1765edit.jpg

Edited by CDW

27 minutes ago, CDW said:

Plodding along.

Here is the rear bridge sans search lights, ladders, and crew figures.

What does one call the two pipes coming up on each side of the binnacle? I'm guessing those are the pipes used for verbal communication with the engine room and so forth, but I have no idea what they're called. Anyone know?

DSCN1762edit.jpg

DSCN1763edit.jpg

DSCN1764edit.jpg

DSCN1765edit.jpg

There called  Voice Pipes mate, very common in pre electronic  versions.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

14 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

There called  Voice Pipes mate, very common in pre electronic  versions.

OC.

That's too simple! Just kidding, but really, I had no idea exactly what the correct terminology was. Thanks for that.

I wonder how they directed their voice to where they wanted it, or did it just go out to whomever was listening regardless of where they were located? I'm guessing everyone heard it.

1 minute ago, CDW said:

That's too simple! Just kidding, but really, I had no idea exactly what the correct terminology was. Thanks for that.

I wonder how they directed their voice to where they wanted it, or did it just go out to whomever was listening regardless of where they were located? I'm guessing everyone heard it.

Modern days I think they use amplifiers and it goes out all over the ship,  when I lived near a naval base we could hear the commands from a few hundread yards away, mind you sound does carry over water.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 hours ago, CDW said:

I wonder how they directed their voice to where they wanted it

I could be wrong, but  I think they were both propitiatory and general. There were normally several voice pipes on the bridge with some going directly to important places like fire control or engine rooms. Other might be more general and be like a "party line" where all people at he other ends would listen for commands that related to them. 

Voice tubes were kept for a long time after electronic communication was common on warships as back up in case something happened to the more modern gear. The same could be said for the retention of the mechanical engine room telegraph. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Craig,

As Ahnold said in the Terminator..."I'll be Baaaack..." Of course, I'll be back... just not sure exactly when since I've just cracked the boxes and inspected all the ingenious bits n' pieces. This so NEW to me...all the shiny brass...and nearly total lack of good directions on the PE upgrade. I must say, the instructions for the base HobbyBoss kit are pretty thorough, and this manufacturer has made a good effort to show detailed photos and avoid Chinglish: a picture is better than 1,000 mangled words and syntax.

My compressor and airbrush kit - I'm a newbie for this stuff - arrived only a few days ago. P/E bending jig, the same. Kool Lifecolor paints. Tiny, tiny glue applicators.....

My first inclination on this build was to add the brass bits and LEAVE them as-is; i.e. no painting (on the P/E). Leave them all shiny. And thinking about adding a custom nameplate: "IJN Bling-Bling." Seriously, I let that raw brass, raw idea fade into the background since this is my first plastic model (since I was an 8 year old) as I want it to resemble an actual ship. If I can complete this puppy, then maybe my NEXT plastic warship...Yamato?...Hood?...Bismarck? can be an all brass, bling-bling beauty.

I'll be checking-in here frequently and if I have something to contribute that's instructive or constructive, I'll do so. At this point, I don't plan to start my own build log for Mikasa - but that could change.

In the meantime - and judging by all your posts n' pics on this log - you are way, way ahead of me.

So many techniques and skills to learn. I'm pumped!...and looking closely at your photos- especially the items on your bench!

Ron

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Ron,

The thing about all of these Pontos (and others as well) update sets, is that the pictorial "instructions" are not a build guide at all. They are simply photos of how the parts go together. It's up to the individual  modeler to work out their own assembly sequence as they see fit. You'll find yourself often going over each page of instructions over and over again, trying to find the particular photos you need for the step you're on. Best advice, read, read, read, look, look, look, then decide the way/order you think is best to tackle the model. You can see here how I did it, but that doesn't mean I did it right. There very well may be a different sequence that would work out better than the way I did it. Hope you have lots of fun doing yours!

CDW

17 hours ago, CDW said:

Indeed, it is that simple.  We called them Voice Tubes. They were made of thin brass and were Point A to Point B. (and reverse) communication.  Ships used them more commonly for lookouts to bridge or on small vessels to the engineering spaces.  In this case they appear to be used for helm and engine order instructions.

She is looking Superb mate - very fine work indeed.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Next, I have to repeat an almost identical process to finish the front bridge. At least all the searchlights and guns are finished.

Do any of you have any sources for period correct Japanese battle flags I could scale to this ship? All my kit came with are some color printed flags on glossy paper. They don't even appear to be in the correct scale. I guess if push comes to shove, I could scan what I have, size them how I want, then print them on clear or white decal paper.

Craig,

That's exactly the conclusion I'm coming to on how to approach this challenging project: the instructions only show HOW parts go together, not in what order - which can be critical, obviously - and especially at the small scales. I've already been writing down some sequences to follow as I look at - repeatedly - both the HobbyBoss booklet and Pontos "sheets".

Your last pic posts on your bridge detail is stunning. I've already decided to use three shades of grey on my build. And speaking of colors, I've tested stains on the wood applique/overlays and decided to use a maple color, except on the conning tower's floor which will be stained darker to simulate teak. I haven't seen you color your decking yet; have you chosen any colors or do you intend to retain the lighter, natural wood supplied in the upgrade package?

Ron

Ron