IJN Mikasa by CDW - Wave Models - 1:200 scale - PLASTIC

Slap some tinsel on the build table, hang an ornament on some rigging or over the table.  Sing Christmas carols while you're at the bench.  Oh... and wrap some parts in appropriate paper.  Job done. cad7.gif.e344378ea4365a41a0267626a435687c.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I personally agree with Mark...............BUT The REAL boss of the manor has other ideas. She has been running around yelling at me to get my single personal area in the whole house cleaned up and cleared off! She is cleaning and decorating every where and sending me out to the shed and down to the basement to get all that will be needed.

I try to explain to her that it is just the same kids that lived with us for all of their childhood years and know how our house looks, in fact did their utmost to trash it on a daily basis for all of those years. I might as well be talking to the dog, in fact I have been talking to the dog pretty often lately, that cat too. Neither of them are as wound up as she is!:huh: Oh well two days, Thanksgiving dinner, and Christmas, then I can start dragging stuff out again, at least for a while.

Good luck on your vacation Craig. I am reserving my place for January though, i expect to see some really good stuff!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Trouble is  - we are still in November, decorations are not supposed to go up till the first day of the "Twelve days of xmas"   that on the 20th December.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

24 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Trouble is  - we are still in November, decorations are not supposed to go up till the first day of the "Twelve days of xmas"   that on the 20th December.

OC.

That's over across the pond where you are.  Our (US) holiday kicks off on the Thanksgiving (our annual day of gluttony).  The day after is known as Black Friday where stores do special sales to suck in the customers.  The the madness continues until the 25th.  On the 26th, the stores are again packed, this time with exchanges and returns and also low prices on Christmas supplies to be tucked away until next year such as wrapping paper, decorations, etc.   Ho-Ho-Ho.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

27 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

That's over across the pond where you are.  Our (US) holiday kicks off on the Thanksgiving (our annual day of gluttony).  The day after is known as Black Friday where stores do special sales to suck in the customers.  The the madness continues until the 25th.  On the 26th, the stores are again packed, this time with exchanges and returns and also low prices on Christmas supplies to be tucked away until next year such as wrapping paper, decorations, etc.   Ho-Ho-Ho.

Wowser!   so in the state you have  nearly  a  five week holiday?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

23 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

you have  nearly  a  five week holiday?

In reality it kind of goes from Halloween on October 31 until the first of the year January 1st. Except for school teachers who get all of the available holidays everyone else gets plus 3 or 4 months throughout the year that only apply to them!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

It's more of a holiday season than a holiday like you Brits use the term. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Like Lou and Mark say, it begins in some stores around Halloween and goes on till Christmas. Radio stations switch formats and play only holiday songs. Print media runs tons of ads. Every store and website you ever bought from sends ads. I love Christmas, but the over commercialization is ridiculous. So, I'll wait for Craig to find Mikasa in January.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

And the mailman brings 2 dozen catalogs per day (about 20 lbs weight) 99 percent of which never get read and wind up being being tossed in the recycle bin.  ;)

Yea, OC, we Yanks are a tad crazy. :)  oh and Mark did not mention the house decorations aka lights 

Edited by Jack12477

same here in the northeast..........a bit weird,  but we have snow already!   we've had two events already :( .......yea,  I'm not a big fan of snow.     we decorate like crazy too........but ever sine we started to rent apartments,  I've been a tad offish about it.   I totally agree.......the over commercialization of the holidays has really been terrible.   black Friday has just about become synonymous with the Purge........luckily,  no one has brandished a gun!     on the work front,  it's become just the opposite........most companies have taken away holidays and days off.   Wal-Mart only has 1 day that the shop closes down........and that's Christmas.   they are open for Thanksgiving and the New Year....and we have to pay our own days off per our PTO.

the holidays as we knew them are long gone...........Tradition has become a corporate scam :( 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

8 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

on the work front,  it's become just the opposite

Except for teachers who keep getting more days off. It has been so long since I was a productive member of society I had forgotten about what was happening in the working world.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

10 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

OC.

That's for Europeans, OC.

The American Brethren do not follow the churchy calendar, they have a commercial calendar ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

no lie........I've already sen a few trees in the windows of home around the neighborhood!   to me,  the day after Thanksgiving is more normal ;)   the stores around here had already put out isles of Christmas stuff.........Halloween and Thanksgiving stuff was tucked in between it all.   the holidays have become opportunistic and commercial.....tradition has been tossed by the wayside!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hey, it doesn't really matter what the actual season is at the moment...if the Admiral says, "move it", I move it. Just like a good soldier, 'cause I am.

Anyway, while shopping for some last minute food items this morning at WalMart (a plug for Denis' work establishment), I found this sheer material in their fabrics section. I believe this will perfectly suit my needs for a torpedo net material. Will either dye or paint it the color I want. Will test it to see which is appropriate later on (2019).

Cheers!

DSCN1881.JPG

looks almost like tulle........but I think I've seen that material at Hobby Lobby.   also keep an eye out for the web type hair nets........they might also work

higher echelon Walmart folks are accomplished trumpet players..........they have the ability to blow their own horns  :D  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Gonna miss this build  - so hopefully the time will swiftly dash forward to the new year.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

So that's the REAL reason you "Volunteered" to do the last minute shopping for the wife Craig. Even though the Mikasa Has been religated to some dark corner of the house, you were still "on the hunt.":rolleyes:

I agree though I think the finer weave will be just what the doctor ordered. Hopefully you will be able to stain it the right color and not have to risk clogging the pores by painting. Have you ever used Rit Dye? they have all kinds of colors including grays and dark blues and would not change the translucency of the material at all.

https://www.ritdye.com/color-formulas/ 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I was always told that dye weakens the fabric.........airbrush might not do that badly if you choose to paint it....light passes and let dry.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

17 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I was always told that dye weakens the fabric

I don't know why it would weaken the fabric. Virtually everything made of cloth in my house and wardrobe is dyed on one color or another and seems OK. I am not much of a clotheshorse, in fact I am probably a bit of a slob, so I have some clothing that may be older than some of my kids and is still holding up fine.  

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

dunno.........I guess we're not able to get the formula they use right.  just going by what I've been told in the past.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 4 months later...

Hi again ,

thank you for letting me know the colours you used on your makasa model

sorry to be a pest but can you tell me the hull colour and upper mast colours as well

I have recently retired so now have the time to do this model with the update kit , new spray gun and compressor

all set to strike terrific terror, if mine comes out as good as yousr I would be over the moon , think I have a lot to learn first

4 hours ago, Kieron said:

Hi again ,

...can you tell me the hull colour and upper mast colours as well

I have recently retired so now have the time to do this model with the update kit , new spray gun and compressor...

No problem at all. The tops of the masts are Vellejo 71.074 Radome Tan, and the hull bottom is Vallejo 73.605 German Red Brown surface primer.

Remember to glue in some blocks of wood inside the hull bottom before attaching your deck pieces. This will give you a secure way to screw your hull to whatever mount you decide to use. I found it was much better to secure the hull to the mount as soon as possible after the hull was painted. You'll be handling the model quite a lot as you build up all the pieces and this will make for safer handling. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

Fantastic work!  I also am working on this same kit. How did you determine where and how to rig it?  The Pontos kit has no mention of that whatsoever.  Did you add your own parts?  I'm almost done!  Just down to the rigging.

Hope to hear from you.

I searched on line for everything I could find that might show the rigging. There were some rudimentary line drawings that helped, and there was the official Mikasa website that shows photos of the ship on display at it's permanent home in Japan. Between the two, I was able to establish a best guess. And yes, I used some of my own attachment points to tie off the rigging on the decks and various other locations. Mostly I used photo etch pieces that were salvaged from other sets not related to the Mikasa.

I highly recommend looking closely at the Seydlitz build thread found here: 

RGL did a masterful job of researching then rigging the torpedo net booms. Quite a complex rigging scheme. Pontos does include most of the attachment points for the net rigging, but no instruction on how to rig it. The booms, rigging and nets on the Seydlitz are very similar to those on Mikasa, If I ever get around to it, I will use RGL's example to rig my Mikasa.

Thanks for the response. I also did some research and probably saw the same stuff you saw. I wish there were "attachment points" one could order.  I found a Northstar product of turnbuckles and eye bolts, but they are extinct.  They are also 1/350, but I think they'd be find for this purpose.  Going to have to figure out what to do.  Thanks again.