Chuck

This is a new feature of MSW and we will have more info on it soon.  Stay tuned.   This is coming soon.

Message added by Chuck

As you folks can now see,  we have a new feature that allows the NRG to create a private/semi private area for your regional local ship modeling club.  See the clubs tab on top of the forum. We have created one test club....mine for New Jersey Club just so you can see its features.   This will evolve over time.  

When we are ready to launch this feature, we will announce it and give everyone the requirements.   Each club will need to be set up individually and you can select a moderator to moderate your own club area.   

Some features include

-  listing your club newsletters

- creating a forum like any other on MSW where your club members can talk among each other.

- Gallery feature for your club members.

- Calendar feature where you can list events your club has including monthly meetings. 

Club Content

Club Leaders can add a variety of content areas to their club - forums, calendars, blogs and so on. It's important to note that these content areas are fully functional just as if they existed as a top-level admin created area. They will appear in search results, activity streams, users can follow them, embed links to them, and so on. If a user has permission to see a forum (for example) within a club it will behave exactly like other forums they see - and the same for all other kinds of content.

Each content area a leader adds can have a custom title, and will appear in the club navigation. This means, for example, that you can have multiple forums within a club, and give each a different name.

Club Locations

Clubs have built-in support for Google Maps, allowing users to specify a physical location for their club.  The Club Owner specifies the location when setting up the club, and clubs are then shown on map on the directory page

WE will be giving you folks more details on how to request this for your regional club including announcement of additional features very soon.

Stay tuned.   There will be a sign-up application form that will need to be filled out and that is currently being worked on.

In the meantime...please check out the clubs tab in the navigation bar to view the sample we have set up.  And if you are a member of the New Jersey club...please join the group.  BUT if you are not a member of the Jersey club,  please dont join.  Otherwise I will just have to delete you later when I close the group to open membership.  Usually you must request it and be approved but I have simply opened it up so all of you can see what is offered.

Chuck

Posted (edited)

This is great Chuck.   I wonder, will these pages be restricted to formalized clubs or can regional pages be created for more casual groupings of localized modelers?   For example, other forums might have regional sections or areas that allow for geographic neighbors to communicate, arrange meets, share news, etc without the requirement of a formalized club. 

EDITED:  I suppose after really looking at the tab as created, the regional or geographic idea wouldn't make much sense.  However, I stand by my thought that some sort of more organized way of reaching out to neighbors would be great.   

Edited by maturin
mtaylor likes this

Possibly but for now we are putting together what is needed to get the formal clubs set up.   We will also use this feature for future group projects and other topic specific programs run through the NRG.

maturin and mtaylor like this

21 hours ago, Chuck said:

We will also use this feature for future group projects and other topic specific programs run through the NRG.

This is a great idea.

I have opened the NJ club area to everyone just so you can see what it has to offer.  I havent added much content yet but you guys get the idea.  PLEASE DONT ACTUALLY JOIN if you are not located in NJ or would never be able to come to meeting etc.   Another words...if you are from London.....please dont ask to join the New Jersey club.   This club feature will be used as a recruiting tool for regional clubs already established like the New Jersey club.

Hopefully folks in New Jersey.....there are several hundred MSW members for example....but do not come to meeting or officially join.   This feature is a way for those folks to at least join virtually and get to know the other members and hopefully at some point actually decide to drop by a meeting.  Its also a great communication tool.  As you know local clubs are shrinking and its really tough to find new members.  You may have your own website and even facebook but tis is a far more targeted venue to help you and your club.

In addition...

It will be a great tool for an area that does not yet have a local club.   Hopefully, a group of you guys will get together and first create a "virtual" club space.  Then it wont be much more trouble to create a physical local club with a location and meet up later if it grows.  Its a lot of fun.

Also....it will be a way for others to set up a club that may be working on the same project..not regionally specific at all...or because of you live in an area that s huge and its impossible to meet because of long distances.  Maybe that is true in some places and the best solution to get organized is a virtual club and then maybe meet less frequently than a club normally does.

More details will follow.

catopower and Ryland Craze like this