HMS Diana By Barbossa - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64 - The 1794 Attempt

Thanks for the kind words, Christos

Spent some time at our Belgian coast.

Still working on the longboat and I must admit I went through the "if you don't like it, stop staring at it and just rip it off" - phase.

However, no harm done and I definitely want a good looking longboat.

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

The 26ft longboat : 

As mentioned, there's been some trial & error situations but here's my final shot.

Regarding it's color scheme, I must admit there's some personal interpretaion involved.

Furthermore something is puzzling me : referring to the AOTS-book there is some device that seems to secure the helm (see last pic) . Any ideas about its purpose ?

Best wishes for 2018 to you all

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Hi Christian

That is a davit used with the windlass to lift the anchor rope and isn't part of the helm, when in use the rudder was unshipped and the davit removed when the rudder was in use, there should also be holes at either end of the windlass for turning with two bars, the davit sits in a step on the rear floor angled to stop it going over the stern under weight

Hope that helps

Regards

Paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

That device on the helm was used in conjunction with model part #6 (from the plan) when the launch was used to carry out the anchor.

image.thumb.png.dca28597fc8e05a8c1456c5466eaf633.png

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the input and explanation. I feel obliged.

So it appears my windlass requires (at least) another hole. Hmm ... some reajustment is to be expected 

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Wow, Thanks a lot Paul.

I also feel obliged as I'm impressed about your prompt answer and how much information ( the pic ) you have at your immediate disposal.

Now it becomes clear as I was wondering how it were possible to manoeuvre wit a fixed helm.

Thanks so much and best wishes !

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Hi Christian

I am just finishing my 26ft cutter from the Diana book as well, see below windlass bars and davit in place

Again hope this helps

Regards

Paul

Excuse the dust!!

WP_20171230_10_59_31_Pro[2305843009213727684].jpg

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Hi Paul

I feel so obliged and the dust is no problem at all

As the expression tells : one picture can tell more than a thousand words

This photo will definitely help me on the right track !

It appears I'll have to produce some dust myself, I'm afraid :D

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Ha mine is slightly bigger at 1:48 though, the dust and the boat

Regards

Paul

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

• 1 month later...

Hi Christian

I just finished reading through your log, you've done some beautiful modifications to your model, and she looks very impressive fully rigged and fitted out :)

Edited by rdsaplala

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Aldo, thanks for the kind words but  life got a bit in the way of shipbuilding the last few weeks ( paint ceilings & paper the walls,....)

However the 26ft boat is finished : pics are to follow.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Hi Zappto,

Thanks for showing interest.

Yes, I had the rudder meanwhile fixed. 

Here's some additional info :

According to the plan and Caldercraft building instructions 4 small boats are to go along with the ship.

The original kit supplies only mini-bulkheads, no anchors, oars or whatsoever. This is why I ordered for the extra  (separate!) 4 mini kits supplied by the same manufacturor ( Caldercraft) I ordered through the Cornwall-Model Boats Company. Those mini kits contain small detail ( anchors, oars,... ) AND a resin body of the small boat.

I'll try to post a pic of the accomplished 26ft boat this evening.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

This is very detailed longboat! I am in the middle of my life boat build, my boat given by the kit is far from the thing you can use! In the middle of the boat i see a part which is rotating, why for it was made?

Hello Zappto : thanks for the kind words.

It was my closest attempt for a windlass . By mistake I fixed this part before foring the necessary holes.:default_wallbash:

In addition of the buildingplans & intructions I purchased the "Anatomy of the Ship"-book referring to HMS Diana through the internet. Very recommendable.

This book describes the presence of a windlass on the 26ft boat. Furthermore, in his post dd. 30/12/2017 ( see above ) Mr. John Cheevers explains its purpose.

This device was designed to carry a big anchor. We must grant this our ancestors : they were inventive and resourceful.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

• 1 month later...

Apologies for being a little late!  Lovely work on those ships boats Christian, they look much larger scale than they actually are! Really precise work, I can see these being a nice little distraction to the main ship.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

You're always welcome Jason. I haven't figured out yet how and where this last ship is to integer. Perhaps alongside the mothership ?

Furtheremore and by coincidence we are to expect this evening special furniture where HMS Diana is to find her (final) harbour inside our living room.

(photo's are to be expected)

Which brings me to the next important question : a display case Yes or No ?

Considering the estimated dimensions ( height -stand included- 90 cm, length 125 cm and width 50 cm ) depedending of the thickness of the glass, there's quite some weight involved, I'm afraid. I'm inclined to plexiglass, just to save some weight but I have doubts  if a thickness of 4mm is achievalbe in this matter.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Christian, I would strongly urge that you go with the case. I don't believe that my models would have survived over the years without their cases. My cases are plexiglass, and the large ones have a thickness of 8mm. They are strong, but still capable of being moved about, if necessary.

Bob

Hi Bob, Thanks for the sound advise. I already contacted a specialized company nearby  ( about 20 km from home ) , they have many musea as customers and offer the choice between 8 and 6 mm thickness. The 6 mm option still weights approx. 30 kilogram

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Altho' I think models look nicer without a case, I would certainly encase her Christian.

There's too much rigging and intricacy to keep her properly clean, and it would be an increasingly tiresome task to do so with more dust left in the difficult places to access each time.

To reduce the impact of a case I favour a plexiglass cover without framing, but I suppose it depends on the sort of setting you are thinking about.

The one issue with a clear plexiglass cover is setting it over the model without catching the spar extremities, and it is certainly a two person job.

Look forward to seeing her in her final setting.:)

B.E.

Hello BE ( and all the likes) ,

Well here's the pics.

The captain and me agreed for a console furniture as we were anxious that a solid cupboard probably might turn out to be boorisch inside our living space.

So I'd like to be sure if this console can carry 30 kilograms ( the frames are made of iron).

Aside from this : I'm looking for another -less plump- stand.

IMG_2864.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2875.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Beautiful model Cristian.
She deserves a special place in your house where everyone can see her.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Congratulations Christian, she really is a stunning and inspirational model.  Agree with all the comments above on the case, and I think a one piece case would look complimentary with the console - personal taste of course.  I personally prefer a more discrete stand as well.  Something I may consider for 'Jason' is to display the ships boats at waterline height, possibly tied up alongside, this could probably be done relatively simply with some small brass rod mounted into the display base - again all personal taste.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

well done sailor, very well done.

mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

B.E., Chris, Patrick, Jason & Mort and all the likes.

Thanks for showing appreciation and sound advise.

Related to the colour scheme : a few years ago I purchased a huge quantity of yellow colored planks of origin unknown (3,5 * 1mm).

As you can see and imagine : a rough cut and not the best quality for bending purposes. Neither does it match the quality and apperence of the boxwood many of you use to successfully upgrade your builds. Nonetheless I obtained - be it with much sanding - the effect I was aiming for , which even the paints could deliver in my opinion.

As you can see : plenty of those in surplus , maybe for projects in the fututre ?

Nowadays we're decorating (papering) bedrooms & dressings at home.

Therefore the expression : "I've got a a pretty congested dressing & wardrobe but nothing to wear" may sound familiar. By consequence  the attic -my workspace- has a new function : the back-room of a catwalk. ( from where comes this unpretty feeling I'm moving on thin ice here ?:P ).Thus making dust for a new stand is perhaps not a good idea. This allows me to search the internet for a suitable solution regarding the showcase.

Greetings to you all and enjoy the Week-end

IMG_2877.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)