HMS Diana By Barbossa - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64 - The 1794 Attempt

Hi Christian,

Just catching up, Diana is looking great as always, I love all the modifications you've done to her, beautiful paint job on the figure, Sir :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hello, BE, Aldo and Ferit

Thanks for your comments : it was the classical look and /or wooden aspect I was looking for. And I'll make no alterations to it.

As depicted in a previous post, I used Acrylicos Vallejo paints for this job.

A collegue of mine has more interest in WW II airplanes and confirms the good quality of this brand.

Anyone shared other (be it good or bad ) experiences with this brand ?

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

Channels and chainplates

Something odd : there’s a kind of an incision in the deadeyestrops (p. 305). The extremity is to receive a brass wire that connects the deadeyestrop with the lower chainplate (p. 259) . Due to the incision I fear some trouble when it shall come to tighten the shrouds.

I presume Jotika / Caldercraft uses this same principle in other kits. How do other members cope with this ?

Anyway, here’s an alternative : I’ve bended some iron wire around the deadeye and created some kind of loop. As the edge of the channel is to be covered with a wooden strip this alteration shall be hardly visible. As my iron wire is only half as thick as the original deadeyestrop, I’ve bended it twice around the deadeye, although for the small deadeyes once seems enough.

Underneath some pics to make my point

Also some good news : me ship , sorry, book came in, very recommendable indeed !

post-412-0-88362000-1375205321_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-62850500-1375205322_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-38985600-1375205323_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-09409600-1375205370_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-90510200-1375205370_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Hi Andy,

it appears you were quicker to respond

Aftermarket pieces are indeed the safest way to resolve this problem. The more is : when it comes to problemsolving by using the "do-it-yourself-method" for several identical pieces, there is a major requirement : the search uniformity.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

• 2 weeks later...

for me it will be a krieg moon!

to help me for my "recouvrance" :10_1_10:

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

current build:   royal caroline

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

Thanks Pierre for your encouraging comments, much appreciated.

Back to this channel & chainplate problem. I've decided to go for the "scratch" solution.

The first attempt seemed satisfactory (at first sight). But sometimes a helicopter sight might cause you to reconsider. I created those loops by bending the iron wire around a toothpick and only while assembling the deadeyes on the main channel, I realised they were far too big, I obtained a much better result by bending the wire around a large needle.

No harm done but back to start and I'll have to remove lots of iron wire from 30 deadeyes.

Still I wonder : there are a few Jotika/Caldercraft buildlogs running on this forum. How do you deal with this ?

Bonjour Offencer,

Just went on the net doing some research regarding "La Recouvrance"

This is a wonderful project and now I realise the city of Brest has all reason to be proud to be represented with such a beautiful ambassador.

Perhaps you should start a buildlog.

I'm looking forward to it.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

hi christian

to reply i've made a build log in scratch buildlog

for your loops and other problems of thumbnails you can also look at  the STAB web site

they PRODUCT ALL FOR  SEVERAL SHIP

at this time you've made a beaautifull work

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

Christian,

I´ve been following your Diana build for some time. Very nice indeed,you are doing a splendid job on her.

I solved the problem with Jotika deadeye strops by winding a few turns of very fine copper wire tight around the neck and a drop of cyano glue to secure it. Can´t be seen when installed in the channels,I never had any pull apart when tensioning the shrouds. 

Regards,

Dave :dancetl6:

Hi Davyboy,

many thanks for your input. I'm a bit late to respond, but family life got a bit between me and shipbuilding.

This is probably not by the book, but I'll settle also by bending iron wire around the deadeyes and thus creating a loop. As you can see underneath and refering to previous posts it was only while completing the main channel that I realised the loops were far to big as they are to receive a 0,8 mm wire to connect with the chainplates.

See the pic : the left one is OK

So very little progress here. Once those channels completed and other hull-side fittings done, I'll post some pics of an (almost) completed hull.

post-412-0-42765100-1376840474_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

That looks good Christian,

You are putting chains under it that goes on the hull?

These chains, you can also use them at the platform or crows nest when Diana has one…..

If not, forget my comment..

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Lovely work, Christian.  I'm fascinated by your chains and watching to learn from you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful work on the chains, Christian, wow! that's an amazing set of books you have there :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thanks for showing interest, Aldo

Somewhere on the bookshelves there's a monography of the French frigate La Vénus ( J. Boudriot )

You never know... but on the other hand, building an own ship from scratch is a dream that many of us kitbuilders share, I guess...

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

you're very lucky ,the venus is a beautifull ship,i would have the same monography!

• 2 months later...

Hello,

At last an update.

Although the port side isn't finished yet, here's some pics regarding the starboardside (almost) completed with the most of the remaining fittings.

Referring to previous post regarding the channels : according to the building instructions the seperate parts are to be connected with some brass wire. As I had some trouble with the dead-eye-strops, I chose for a thread instead. This is a second best choice but I wanted the channels as straight as possible and the thread option allowed me to tighten the wole thing at my convenience.

The more is, this thread is not "fluffy" at all: (as you can see on the last pic) and the knot is well hidden behind the loop which was the result of my dead-eye-strop-replacements. Afterwards ,I overpainted the whole thing with Enamel mat black

But as I mentioned : this is a second best choice

Hello Ray,

As you are probaly following this log, please bear in mind that the channels & main plate closest to the stern gallery are partially covering one gun port lid, the channel connection downwards can be a bit narrow.

Anyway : here's the first serie of pics

post-412-0-36677400-1383213970_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-92857100-1383213971_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-97167300-1383213973_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-04759100-1383213975_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Wonderfully build! A treat for eye and soul :-)

Cheers, Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

BE, Sjors and Dafi : Thank you all for the kind words The "likes" are also very much appreciated. Greetings to you all.

I sincerely wish I had more time to follow and comment all those interesting buildlogs.

it appears there"s always more and more going on at MSW, not to mention what is lately called the Dark Side....

Little by little the hull is developping to its final form. Whenever the rigging will bore me I'll switch over to the life boats.

BE : as I have Pegasus laying on the shelf, whenever I start building her, I'll make good use of your recommandations.

Although : those "hanging knights in the void" just keep on haunting me ;)

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Hi Christian

Great work and thanks for the info, I am working on the bow section at the moment and when its done am not sure if I will fit the chain plates and work on the sides or to fit out the decks, nice fix on the problem tight cord/thread will look better than crinkled wire.

Best regards

Edited by Ray

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

• 5 weeks later...

Channels & chainplates (continuation)

This week I've completed the port side using the same method (thread instead nof wire)

A word about the catheads : I've painted both sides in blue and covered the edges with fine strips of paper painted in ochre. I used paper as I wanted to add as minimum thickness to the catheads as possible.

The blue color is still the same : Humbrol n°14; it received one coat of acryl varnish.

Now the galleon gratings : just as Ray, due to my misinterpretation of the plans, I've encountered some difficulty so I made some incisions for the gammoning. Around the edges of those rectangular gaps I'll fix later on some 1x 2 mm wooden strips for aesthetical reason.

The seats of ease will have to wait after the installation of the boomkins.

What a chance that I still can rely upon the shipyard supervisor (last of 9 pics !) for counsel and guidance !

post-412-0-26238200-1385824284_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-86704800-1385824285_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-79632400-1385824286_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-90591800-1385824287_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-85548700-1385824288_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Very nice Christian !

Every time i see different things that I can use for a next build....just like your chains !

Really likes it !!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Thanks Sjors, really looking forward to the continuation of San Ildefonso (not to mention HMS Agamemnon)

Here's two pics related to the galleon gratings gammoningproblem, in other words I tried to "cover up the mess".

post-412-0-67834900-1385896121_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-29717200-1385896124_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)