USF Confederacy by GaryKap – Model Shipways – scale 1:64

Thanks for sharing. I agree that such times can make it hard to focus on a model, even if in theory it seems like a great escape from reality. I hope you'll be able to give thanks for good memories of your brother.

Sorry for your loss Gary, Peace be with you and your family.

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Dirk, John, Cathead, and tigerdver, thank you for your kind thoughts.  And yes, I do have many things to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

• 2 weeks later...

I am continuing to work from Chapter Five – planking the hull above the wales. I didn't post a link to this chapter, so here it is: http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Confed/Chapter%205.pdf I have planked up to the waist, most of the forecastle, and just under the gun ports on the quarterdeck. As I do this, I am gluing the edges of the planks to give the hull more strength. Also, I will not trim the ends of the planks until after I have sanded the surface of the hull. This will help me to prevent rounding the ends of the planks. Also, leaving excess plank beyond the hull helps when clamping and gluing.

At this point the hull strongly resembles one of those pictures of Noah's Ark that you might see in Bible picture books. Happily though, the planking so far appears to be correctly located horizontally and vertically. For example, at the waist the top edge of the plank is flush with 1/16 X 3/16 inch strip that forms the “rail”. So far, so good... Pictures below.

P1050015.jpg

P1050016.jpg

P1050017.jpg

P1050018.jpg

P1050019.jpg

P1050020.jpg

P1050021.jpg

P1050022.jpg

P1050023.jpg

P1050024.jpg

Looking good Gary,starting to look like a frigate. Nice progress on the construction. I'm still messing around with stern,just a bit more filling and fairing to go. Seems like I have been at this for quite some time.

Thank you for the "likes" CaptMorgan, rafine, JohnB40, and Tigersteve.  They are always appreciated.  John, I also feel like I have been working on this model for quite a while now...and I have BARELY gotten started!  I have pretty much completed the first layer of planking above the wales and she is looking increasingly like a frigate.  I really like the curves of the hull.  And I am now at a point where I am confident that there will be a completed model ship at the end of the process.  It's just a question of how good it will turn out.  Today the weather was mild so I took her outside to do the preliminary coarse sanding. 

<<Gary>>

P1050037.thumb.jpg.8d95531ca63a79c9f073e4c9ac55b854.jpgI have finished the first layer of planking above the main wales and have also completed the second (final) layer for the main wales. I have yet to do the black strake and the channel wales. I have also sanded the planking with 120 and 320 grit paper. I have stained the necessary number of 5/32 x 1/32 inch wood strips that will become the black strake and channel wales, and will stain the hull planking above the main wales prior to installing these. I am doing this to minimize glue blotches that would prevent stain from going into the wood and that would be quite visible in the completed model. I like to give the stain several days to dry, and while I am waiting I will be working on the planking below the main wales. The other task that I will be working on is fairing the inside of the hull and reducing the width of the bulwarks. The instructions don't have me doing this until after construction of the stern and quarter galleries. But I know from experience that when I get to sanding the inside of the bulwarks I could easily damage those delicate parts at the stern.

Oh, and one piece of advice to future Confederacy builders – the kit supplies BARELY enough of the 5/32 x 1/16 inch strips. When I was finished with the second layer of the main wales, I only had two short pieces (around 4 inches each) left. So be careful and not wasteful...

Pictures below.

P1050029.jpg

P1050030.jpg

P1050031.jpg

P1050032.jpg

P1050033.jpg

P1050034.jpg

P1050035.jpg

P1050036.jpg

P1050037.jpg

Edited by GaryKap

Lookin' good Gary. I sanded the inside of the bulwarks early also. I think that's a good idea.

I had to request additional 5/32 x 1/16 strips from M.E. Twice they sent me 1/16 x 1/8 instead. It took months for them

to send the correct planking. I had already purchased replacements from another source. Their CS varies greatly.

Sorry, I didn't mean to jump into your log but your warning to others is well based.

I just went through a hip replacement so construction has slowed down.

What color stain are you using?

Regards, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

Hi Harley -

Good to see that people actually READ the text and don't just look at the pictures; and (I guess) good to know that its not just me with the 5/32 x 1/16" strips.  I  thought that I might have to use a 1/8" wide strip for the last part of the main wales.  I have had good experience requesting replacement parts from Model Expo in the past. Sad to say, I will need to request a replacement sheet for the gun carriages.  The axle holes for the wheels (trucks?) are way off center.  I will wait until after the Christmas crush to do this, as there is certainly no hurry.

I am using Minwax Golden Oak stain. 

<<Gary>>

• 1 month later...

I have finally finished planking the hull below the wales and adding the second (final) layer for the main wales and channel wales. The pictures are below, but I would like to add some thoughts and recommendations for future builders.

I lulled myself into believing that Confederacy, although HUGE, would be an easy hull to plank. She is NOT. This is the fifth ship model hull that I have planked and the result is not even close to my best work. My fault...I did not follow the directions. (I did not understand their implication). On page 52, Chuck says “The forward end of the garboard strake should be glued to the center of bulkhead “E” as shown in the photo provided. It should not start forward of this bulkhead.” Well I disregarded this because the garboard strake ran nicely much farther forward. What I failed to realize was the resulting decrease of space at the bow necessitated a more severe taper at the bow of all planks in between. Also the shape of the hull is such that planks need to taper not only at the bow but also at the stern to Bulkhead 8 and then flare out again necessitating stealers between Bulkhead 8 and the transom. But the job is finished and most of my “fixes” are near the keel and will not be noticed in the completed model.

On a positive note, Chuck includes a “spiling guide” that he describes on page 51. This thing is WONDERFUL!! and results in a much smoother run of planks than would happen otherwise. I strongly encourage future builders to use it.

I also did a LOT of sanding the inside of the bulwarks to decrease their thickness but still have a ways to go. Another caution for future builders. When you do this, do NOT sand “freehand” just holding the sandpaper against the surface. The plywood bulkhead extensions are much harder than the soft basswood gunport frames and freehand sanding would create concave surfaces between the bulkhead formers that would make planking difficult. My solution was to glue sandpaper to a piece of plywood 1/8 inch thick and 3” x 3” to get the smooth even surface down to the false decking.

I will continue to work sanding the inside of the bulwarks. I also need to add the fancy molding along the hull. I am still undecided about whether to treenail or not. Then I will start on the Stern and Quarter Galleries.

P1050038.jpg

P1050039.jpg

P1050040.jpg

P1050041.jpg

P1050042.jpg

P1050044.jpg

P1050045.jpg

Gary:

I think you are not giving yourself enough credit. I have planked a few hulls and I can tell you that there is always something I wish I had done differently or better. Your planking looks pretty good in the photos.

I understand the issue you mentioned and I have had to consciously work on not letting the garboard creep too far forward. I like to mark the run of the planks on the frames and along the stem to try and make sure of the space I have versus the number of planks. It is never easy though. I think you are doing good work on your planking. 

Russ

Looks very nice Gary. You have been making great progress with the build.

I'm just about to fit the battens to frame the gun ports. So at my present pace,I should be where you are about this time next year!

Looks really nice from here Gary, don’t be too hard on yourself!  It’s very nicely done!

Are you planning to paint or stain the hull below the wales?  At first I thought you painted it white to simulate the white stuff, but I’m guessing it’s the natural basswood?  Whatever it is, it’s a nice contrast to the other colors of the hull.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hey Gary, the hull looks pretty darn nice to me. As the builder you are looking at it with a very critical eye. Once you move on the the next step any imperfections will fade into the distance. 

Edited by alde

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Thank you guys for the "likes".  They are always welcome and give me encouragement.  And thanks to Russ, John, Jim, Mike, alde, and Dirk for your comments.  It is probably true for each of us that we are our own worst critic...except for the Admiral, that is.  Jim, I will be looking for your build log.  Mike, the color below the wales is just the naked basswood; not even finish sanded yet.  Dirk, I appreciate your watchful eye, but in this case I think you are mistaken.  Take a look at the Instructions on page 65.  It says "There are three laser cut pieces for the rudder.  They are 1/4 inch thick (R1, R2, and R3)." Take a look at the plans and sheet H.  I believe I have the correct part in the right place.  Happily, it is not yet glued in so any change will be easy.  What do you think?

P1050047.jpg

P1050048.jpg

P1050049.jpg

P1050050.jpg

Greetings Gary, I'm going though the same planking labor as you did. I did put the garboard strake in the right place but still am running into extremes of tapering. As another builder already said, don't sell yourself short, your Confederacy is doing just fine. Try stepping back a foot or two, the model will look much better than if you look at it through a monster macro lens. The planking below the wales is indeed, IMHO, a real challenge particularly if you try to stay within the general rules of authentic building. 

This is supposed to be fun!

Regards, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

Dirk, I really do appreciate having you there looking over my shoulder.  I would much rather go through the thought process as we did above than make some major error in my construction.  Like we say here in the U.S.  "If you see something, say something!"  and that applies equally to model ship building.  In the near future I hope to be doing the stern and quarter galleries and I will be looking to you for guidance after the stunning job you did on your Confederacy build.

John, thank you for your kind words.

Harley thanks for your thoughts.  Jeez; when they said this kit was for advanced builders, I thought they meant advanced in years  ^_^.  My advice is to plank the third belt from the top down.  That way you can hide your planking mistakes along the bottom near the keel.  You, me, and the other Confederacy builders all try to do the very best job that we possibly can and when our result does not measure up to our expectations we can get frustrated.  Thanks to you all for letting me vent.