modlerbob

Polish training ship Dar Mlodziezy 1:200

On 03/08/2017 at 8:50 AM, modlerbob said:

So, I take it that this is a legitimate kit manufacturer.

Yeah Bob, no worries about them :).

I just took a look at the KIT :

On 03/08/2017 at 7:34 AM, ccoyle said:

Definitely not for the faint of heart

I reckon I agree with Chris - I personally wouldn't even think about taking on something like this yet, not with my limited Card Modelling skills ;). I think the Bismarck will be easier :D.

BTW - you got ripped off with the price. 12.59 PLN = about $US3.50. Postage might have made a big difference though. Even THIS ONE was cheaper (including postage).

:cheers:  Danny

2 hours ago, Dan Vad said:

Yeah Bob, no worries about them :).

I just took a look at the KIT :

I reckon I agree with Chris - I personally wouldn't even think about taking on something like this yet, not with my limited Card Modelling skills ;). I think the Bismarck will be easier :D.

BTW - you got ripped off with the price. 12.59 PLN = about $US3.50. Postage might have made a big difference though. Even THIS ONE was cheaper (including postage).

That's the one I got.  Note I said less than $15  It was actually $11.50

mtaylor, Canute and Dan Vad like this

Posted (edited)

Saw her in 2002 in Portsmouth, nice thing :-)

Great show as the crew was going up the masts and yards while passing - unfortunately without sails set.

XXXDA

TS2:20.jpg

TS2:21.jpg

TS2:23.jpg

TS2:24.jpg

TS2:25.jpg

TS2:26.jpg

Edited by dafi
ccoyle, Canute and mtaylor like this

I really like the squared stern.  Most ships I've seen of this type have the old rounded clipper ship stern.  My kit will probably sit for a while during which time I will attempt a couple of simpler card models.

mtaylor and Canute like this

3 hours ago, modlerbob said:

My kit will probably sit for a while during which time I will attempt a couple of simpler card models.

There's a good idea Bob ;):D.

Nothing worse than spending a few months of hard work on a model only to find you've bitten off more than you can chew. That happened to me once :(.

BTW - there are a lot of FREE Card Model downloads on the interweb, some are even legitimate (not Pirated). Some manufacturers use these as a means of getting interest in the craft, hoping to sell one of their kits later on to a new convert. A good way to get your feet wet :D with minimal cost.

Canute and mtaylor like this

Posted (edited)

Most of the sites I have encountered that offer free downloads also want you to download their proprietary software to access the files which I won't do.  I already have a pdf file reader. And as I recall my pappy always told me nothing is for free.

Edited by modlerbob

Bob, THIS is the first model I built (HMVS Cerberus), finished about 6 weeks ago. No extra downloads. It says GBP9.50, but if you go to Checkout there is a free download option. It's a "print your own" and not quite as detailed as the one you pay for. A nice little 1st Card Model IMO.

Bob, I'm interested about those sites you mention. I have downloaded and built many free models and have never once had to use any proprietary software, as you describe it. 

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

Bob, I'm interested about those sites you mention. I have downloaded and built many free models and have never once had to use any proprietary software, as you describe it. 

My guess is that you don't HAVE to download, say, a PDF Reader but they give you the option of doing so if you don't already have one.

On one that I went to, a site claiming to have a free download of a Coast Guard RIB I clicked on the download button and the next screen indicated that I would be downloading their pdf reader and giving them permission to manage the software.  At that point I stopped and closed my connection.  There was no way around that part of the download.

OK, I found the website for that model and you are right -- they do want you to download a PDF converter in order to access the file. But that is by no means the norm. As I said, there are plenty of free models out there. BTW, the Paper Replika site, despite its PDF hoop-jumping requirements, is legitimate. Over on papermodelers.com I found 5 pages worth of hits when I searched for "Paper Replika" in topic titles.

50 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

OK, I found the website for that model and you are right -- they do want you to download a PDF converter in order to access the file

Annoying :angry:. I looked as well.

Here's a LINK for Digital Navy's Free Download site. They are legit. At the bottom of the page is the V108 that Chris is building.

Well the Dar Mlodziezy kit arrived today.  I may never find the guts to tackle this one.  It appears to be well done but I feel the instructions visually very lacking.  There are very few drawings showing how the thing is put together.  That added to all the written instructions being in Polish makes it hard to know what half the parts are and where they go.

Canute likes this

Bob, that is unfortunately one of the drawbacks with the Polish kits. Even some of the English instructions occasionally provided are somewhat garbled. Get a few simpler kits under your belt and you'll not only learn a few of the Polish words, you'll also get a feel for how a card model goes together in general plus how to work from the diagrams. Even so, some diagrams are going to be better and more thorough than others. Also, there's plenty of photos of the actual ship online, so that should help with figuring out what some of the bits are.

Good luck, should you ever decide to have a go at this one!