In many build logs people refer to using sanding sticks.

My question are these just sticks made from scrap lumber with sandpaper attached via glue, or are they simply talking about emery boards used for filing nails or both.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shawn

My sanding sticks are the professional grade Emory boards like those used in Nail Salons. They are beefy, have a foam filler, come in different grits that are color coded and washable. The Beauty Supply shop where I get them sells them for 70 cents each.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

You can wash a Professional Emory Board with water. Emory Boards also have a longer life than sand paper. But, in some situations, a very small and narrow homemade sanding stick is needed.

Starting the Model Shipways U.S. Brig Syren

Working on the Caldercraft HMS Snake

Completed Scratch Built of Russian Armed Merchant Ship Neva 1801-1805

Scratch Commercial Fishing Vessels

Hand made sticks for various shapes other than flat is a good way to go.  Dowel rod, home made shapes, bow shaped etc.    

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I make my own with both sand paper and Emory . That way i can decide on the size and shape i need. I use old scraps of flat wood, Dowling and curved wood.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

I like the belt type sanding sticks.  For instance, Lee Valley sanding stick.  MicroMark also sells them.  Belts are a little pricey, but I find that I mostly use the tip, so I just keep moving the belt.  They are rigid, easy to control, have a fairy find end to get into tight areas and they are narrow enough to see what you're working on.  I use them for tapering and beveling planks - I don't even try to use a plane or knife.

Bruce

Stay Sharp - Stay Safe

Judgement comes from experience:  experience comes from poor judgement.

• USS Constitution: Scratch build solid hull 1:96 scale

I just make my own. This way I can have all sorts of sizes and shapes to get into weird places.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was browsing the tool shop on the model motor cars  site last week, (link on the forum home page) and ended up placing an order for a bunch of tools, clamps, etc. (great prices and real quick shipping, by the way). I picked up a package of these with my order.

https://model-motorcars.myshopify.com/collections/the-tool-shop/products/sanding-twigs-t083

They have already come in handy for me finishing off a mast cap. They'll get plenty of use in the near future as I start work on the whaleboats for the Kate Cory.

Rich

Member - Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Current Build:  Pride of Baltimore 2

Finished: Kate Cory

Finished for now (Not rigged):  Medway Longboat

I second the sanding sticks had them for about 6 months still in good shape there cheap.

Also found this flexible foam palm sander at Wal-Mart has 10 pads of different grits held by Velcro is extremely flexible will get into most areas extremely soft and pliable, easy on the wrist and fingers, sanding pads last forever well almost. True value has them as well as Lowe's. Lowe's sander  is a bit bigger and offers only 2 grits 60, 120DSCN2762.thumb.JPG.e205f11f38b289f0f2f02972ef126177.JPG they also have a bigger one shaped like a palm sander. Really one of the best sanding products for the money. The small one at WM $ 5.99 Lowe's bigger one $ 6.00

dscn2763.thumb.JPG.e6ccc7e76a7d2cedb81e35e87828f942.JPG

dscn2764.thumb.JPG.96b544807343227c0ef073461e991915.JPG

dscn2765.thumb.JPG.fc1bc75e7c4173e94876ac90639da02d.JPG

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

John, the one I got in Lowes had 60, 120, and 220 grits for the little narrow sander. Also bought the larger one with 3 grits of paper.

RichVee,  Hobby Lobby also sells those sanding sticks you show in the link.  Come with 2 grits per stick, e.g. 80 - 120, 120 - 220, etc. Just flip the stick over to get the other grit.  Color coded also.

Jack,

Stand corrected on Lowes grit. I don't know how long they have been out I'm like a kid these things are fantastic especially if you have these 2 friends Arthur & Itis:D

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co.