Hullo from Melbourne, Australia

mollusk

Hullo all,

Perhaps 7 years ago, after enjoying the first couple of books in the Aubrey-Maturin series, I was inspired to try a model boat build. I had images of a warship of some kind but plumped instead for a more realistic kit based on what the shop had in stock: the Cadaqués from Artesania Latina.

Things initially progressed rapidly with the false keel and frames coming together, followed by the decking. But then the challenges of planking the hull arrived. Forming the first few strakes using hot water and fingers seemed to go well but actually holding them in place while the glue set was beyond me at the time and so the kit was relegated to the top shelf of the wardrobe.

Present day and I'm still enjoying Mr O'Brian's novels and cast around occasionally for pictures of those ships mentioned. It was while idly searching for a model of the HMS Sophie (brig-rigged sloop) that I came across Trevor Copp's inspirational trio of ships here: http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/CKit_Various_01.htm and from there it was only a small delay before I found this wonderful site.

Predictably I am now all fired up to try my hand at a cutter or brig, but before I attempt that jump I'm returning to the Cadaqués and my nemesis: its hull. Armed with the articles, posts and people on this site I feel much better equipped.

Here's hoping this isn't a short stay,
Martin.

Welcome on board Martin(Aussie).

I have found the site extremely helpful with lots of information and members seem to pop up to offer excellent advice on all sorts of building topics.

Stick with it.

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Hello Martin and welcome to MSW. I'm also a newbie to this site but built my first boat last year...the Cadaque. A lot of trial and error but got it finished and now sits proudly in my study with all its mistakes. I have picked up a few ideas from this website which made my second build (Cutter Mermaid) much easier including seeing this you tube clip from Leon Griffiths (

. If you haven't seen it have a look at it particularly the planking tips....made my life less stressful and answered many of my queries which I had when building the Cadaque.

Stick with your build and I'm sure you will find it very rewarding when finished.

I'll be watching your build with interest.

Cheers.........Fernando 

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

And I have been reading about the WW II part played by Aussies in defeat of one of the world's premier ocean going fleets. This is the theatre all my family members who served fought in. On to a point use a search engine for 'building scale model ships' for more visual information. It has helped me just seeing how its done. I have watched Master and Commander so many times just for the vessel. The books are in my library.

Welcome aboard Martin , I am also new to this site , I have only been here a few weeks and find I cant stop looking through all the great build logs and there is so many other cool forums as well , I have used a few already , and have been warmly welcomed in each one . I find I learn something new everyday. I am working on a 18th century lonboat myself hope to have it done in the upcoming week . Start a build log so we can follow along  with your nemesis and you will find a ton of help with the problems you might run across. 

All the best 

Derek

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

Hello Martin,

Welcome to MSW.  The best way to get help and improve skills is to open a build log.  You'll get help and encouragement.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)