I'm currently doing the 1st player of planking on the Vanguard from Amati. The kit supplied wood for the 1st layer is 1.5mm x 6.5 mm x 20 inches.  The length supplied is not long enough to reach from stem to stern...short by several inches (first build where I have had this issue). This is not a big problem for the 1st layer. All I am doing is staggering the butts between frames 7,8, and 9 (three of the mid ship ribs) and using two pieces to cover from stem to stern, not counting any stealers.

My question concerns the 2nd layer...1.0mm x 5mm x 20 inch walnut. Should I continue having just one butt staggered between frames 7,8, and 9 and have two pieces run from stem to stern excluding any required stealers, or should I do it like the deck, with 84 mm long pieces (or maybe 120 mm long) and a four staggered pattern? Unlike the deck, I would not try to add caulking lines or tree nails..at least I don't think I will. I used an 84mm long, 4 staggered pattern for the first deck.

I am not going to copper or paint the hull at all, so the walnut will be the final planking on the entire ship. I prefer doing my builds with the natural wood, several coats of Tung Oil and final coatings of matte finish poly.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

donrobinson likes this

I would suggest cutting the planks to a scale length and then plank using the guidelines of the time, a 4 butt shift probably.  You will probably have two series of joints, on fore and one aft. 

donrobinson and Jim Rogers like this

I didn't have that problem with either the first or second layer, that's quite surprising.  My kit is also from Amati and both layers had plenty of both woods and planks at the needed length supplied with the kit.  I'd start by contacting Amati.  My kit was short starboard side copper plating for some reason.  I contacted Amati and now have enough to also do another ship.  It took them a while to respond, but they did by sending the copper in original packaging.

donrobinson and mtaylor like this