I'm currently doing the 1st player of planking on the Vanguard from Amati. The kit supplied wood for the 1st layer is 1.5mm x 6.5 mm x 20 inches.  The length supplied is not long enough to reach from stem to stern...short by several inches (first build where I have had this issue). This is not a big problem for the 1st layer. All I am doing is staggering the butts between frames 7,8, and 9 (three of the mid ship ribs) and using two pieces to cover from stem to stern, not counting any stealers.

My question concerns the 2nd layer...1.0mm x 5mm x 20 inch walnut. Should I continue having just one butt staggered between frames 7,8, and 9 and have two pieces run from stem to stern excluding any required stealers, or should I do it like the deck, with 84 mm long pieces (or maybe 120 mm long) and a four staggered pattern? Unlike the deck, I would not try to add caulking lines or tree nails..at least I don't think I will. I used an 84mm long, 4 staggered pattern for the first deck.

I am not going to copper or paint the hull at all, so the walnut will be the final planking on the entire ship. I prefer doing my builds with the natural wood, several coats of Tung Oil and final coatings of matte finish poly.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest cutting the planks to a scale length and then plank using the guidelines of the time, a 4 butt shift probably.  You will probably have two series of joints, on fore and one aft. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I didn't have that problem with either the first or second layer, that's quite surprising.  My kit is also from Amati and both layers had plenty of both woods and planks at the needed length supplied with the kit.  I'd start by contacting Amati.  My kit was short starboard side copper plating for some reason.  I contacted Amati and now have enough to also do another ship.  It took them a while to respond, but they did by sending the copper in original packaging.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Update to the above: I measured some left over planking I had for both the inner and outer layer.  Both were 31.5" long.  If yours was only 20" I'd definitely contact Amati.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Glenn:

I think the problem with the Vanguard is that I originally bought the kit from Model Expo back in 2009. Mainly because of health issues, I wasn't able to start the build until recently. First I had to finish the Corsair which I had to stop working on about 4 years ago.

As you probably know, Model Expo had a licensing agreement back in 2009 with Amati to produce the Vanguard in the US. But that relationship with Amati went "south" in 2010. As I understand the agreement, Amati supplied the plans and all the Photo Etched parts, and ME supplied all the wood.

I think what happened is that ME used wood that they already produced in 20"-24" pieces...just like they sell today. Unfortunately, the planking supplied is only 20", so I have three choices...1) stagger the planks at the bow and stern ends only by several inches, 2) replace all the 20" walnut (1mm X 5mm) with longer pieces (not in my budget!), or 3) use the walnut supplied using a 120mm length...like on the deck, a 4 stagger pattern, but probably not try to put in tree nails (although I am considering doing this as well).

By the way...the kit also is missing one of the Photo Etched sheets. ME can not replace since they never made them for the kit. I have contacted Amati's US distributor asking for help, but haven't received any positive response. If you or anyone knows Amati's e-mail or phone number, I would like to contact them. When I use the E-mail form on their website, I get a message that the E-mail was "undeliverable". If anyone can help me to contact them, or have some PE sheets from the model, I would be more than happy to pay any costs since I can't finish the model without those PE parts. They are the parrels and rigging hooks.

I forgot to mention that the Amati PE sheet that is missing was identified in the parts list as "WP 1713" which includes all the parrels and rigging hooks. I also forgot that kit had an extra PE sheet labeled "WP 1717". If anyone needs the duplicate sheet and has an extra PE sheet with the parrels and rigging hooks (ME told me that the part numbers might have changed in the past 8 years), I would be glad to exchange or pay for the one I need.

If no one responds, try: http://www.dafinismus.de/   Daffy sells photo etch in the 1:100 scale but they seem to work for a wide range.  I'm using his hooks for my 1:65 build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mich, you know Amati's a sponsor of MSW, so you can just click on their banner on the front page and go to "Where we are" under their Contacts tab, that has the phone and email.

But, you said you contacted their distributor here and didn't get a positive response, do you mean Ages of Sail? And what wasn't a positive response? I help out Ages of Sail with various things, so I can ask about it. Normally they can order the entire PE set as a special order, but obviously, you just need the missing sheet. The only issue I see might be if the sheets have changed. Usually, things can be special ordered, but it can take a really long time.

I'll ask about this.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Clare:

Thanks for the response. Yes, Ages of Sail is who I was told by Model Expo to contact. I first wrote them July 3rd and they said they would "look into it" but last time I checked (a couple weeks ago), they had nothing to tell me one way or another. Marc at Model Expo suggested I contact Roger at Ages of Sail. I did on July 3rd. Since then I have e-mailed with them 3-4 times, but all they say is that "they will see what they can do".

I'm still a long way from actually needing these parts since they are for the rigging phase and I am just now finishing the first layer on the hull, but I wanted to get it resolved before any more time had passed, and I expected a delay of probably several weeks or even a few months to get the missing parts.

I will try to call Amati and see if they can help. Thanks for giving me their contact information. I was not aware that they were a sponsor of MSW.

Mark:

Thanks for the info on Daffy. If I can't get the parts I need from Amati, I will certainly give him a call.

Hi Mich

If you wanted to plank in single strakes then you could consider buying the extra timber.

Also you generally find that you get better timber than kit supplied material anyway.

And you can choose your wood to suit the overall finish you would like to see.

Nick

Mark, I just got a verification from someone who handles Amati's social media that the offices are closed until the beginning of September, though he said someone might be there a few days earlier.

So, it might be a while before you can get any help on this. I did send a message to them about the PE sheet. But, it will probably go unread until then.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Clare:

Thanks very much for your help in replacing the missing PE sheet. I have tried to call Amati a couple times in the last few days and no one answered. I wouldn't be surprised if they are closed right now since having traveled in Europe many years ago, I know that a lot of companies close for vacation in July and August. I always thought it might be because of the lack of air conditioning like we have here, but I know it has been a common practice for many years.

• 2 weeks later...

Clare:

Just to let you know, I called Amati in Italy today and talked to Emilio..don't know his position with Amati...who asked me to send him a picture of the missing PE sheet from the plans. I have done that and will wait for his reply. He seemed to indicate that the parts they made for the Model Expo model of their Vanguard were not "the same" as for their own version, but I can't believe there would be much difference in these particular parts...just the rigging hooks and parrel assemblies. Hopefully he will be able to help.

Don't know why I kept calling you Mark, maybe because you posted a note to Mark at the end of one of your posts and I wasn't paying attention and thought it was your signature(?).

Anyway, yeah, I heard back on my query to Emilio Marletti. I believe he's the president of the company. Apparently the PE sheets for the ME version of the kit were laid out completely differently. It's not that the parts were different, but he has to figure out which parts you mean exactly, so he knows which sheet or sheets you need. Things get re-engineered for efficient production, so it's quite possible hooks are on a sheet that's also used for other kits now.

I was trying to figure a way to show him the right parts, but it sounds like you already took care of it. I'm sure he'll figure it out from there. 

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Clare:

Thanks for your continued interest and help.

When I talked to Emilio this morning, I had a feeling that the parts might be on different sheets now like you suggested. I have offered to pay whatever cost might be involved, including any shipping charges. Hopefully he will be able to supply the parts I need. I did send him a couple pictures of the missing sheet from the plans that had all the parts at full size. Of course, the pictures will not be at the correct size, but since the missing sheet is listed as "Parrels and Rigging Hooks" , hopefully he will be able to figure out what I need.

Thanks again for all your support and assistance.

Clare:

Amati came through. Wired money for the cost to Emilio last Friday. Got an e-mail today that he is shipping the PE sheet tomorrow by UPS. Apparently, the PE sheet is the same as the one that was missing from the kit, or they still had one on hand from when they did business with Model Expo. Either way, looks like my issue is resolved. Now if I can continue the build until I get to that area I need the Parrels and Rigging Hooks! Still several months away. Just started 2nd. hull planking.

Thanks for all your help.