US Brig Syren by svein erik - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 18 gun brig

Add a chair for me too please!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Erik - is your first name Svein or Erik? Its great to see another Syren. I am just a bit ahead of you. It will be great to compare notes.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

18 minutes ago, fnkershner said:

Its great to see another Syren. I am just a bit ahead of you. It will be great to compare notes.

Floyd, you should add a build log too if it isn't "on the shelf" anymore!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Unlike brigs and frigates in other countries,  you would not likely find any lanterns on American vessels.  Not like you know from other English ships like Bounty or Victory.  For example,  If you were to look at any contemporary info.....paintings and models,  you wont see any that show a lantern on Constitution or similar vessels.   Its just not something you will see.  

That you are right, I did not find anyting to comare with, but I think this wil be a nice tutsh on the model

I May have to take away the stern lanterns an maby I wil replase it, make a figure to hold a lanterns etc

I have order some 1.8 mm pico led for the Job.

befor I moving on I wil set up the lights on the model an try it out before I do the task permantly 

You are off to a great start. That's the neatest filler blocks I've ever seen. You should see my filler block mess. I'll be watching. Goos luck

• 2 weeks later...

I have know sendt a mail to M.E  

they need know take some action on quality control On the plans and kit 

if something is wrong here its going to be a problem truaout the hole build 

if you use the plans as a refrance 

as the plans is know, I can only use it to keep me warm in the winter😈

On 5/28/2017 at 3:46 PM, Chuck said:

How hard can it be for these guys to print those templates correctly for the kit......seems like the easy part.  Anyway.....hope these help.  Remember to set your page scaling to NONE when printing them.  And measure the scale bar for accuracy where each segment should be 3/16" wide.  If these dont match your plans then they probably printed your plans incorrectly as well.  Always measure the scale bar to find out.  That is why it is there.  These are the original files.   

Chuck

colorcodedtemplate.pdf

framingplan1.pdf

framingplan2.pdf

framingplan3.pdf

framingplan4.pdf

framingplan5.pdf

framingplan6.pdf

framingtemplate7.pdf

sternframingsyren.pdf

Svein,

Read the above (Chuck's response to another member's identical issue). 

Steve

Svein-Erik, great to see another Syren.

I find it interesting and fascinating you're adding the led lights. 

Good luck and be careful, the Syren has it's traps.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Am going to  install the gunport siles and lintels ang am using the templets yust as a gide, 

I have to mesjure gunport to get it right later.

Battens are install for the siles. 

I also made a copyof templates and ti Seems to me that its ok, butt the problem May bi inn the frame

20170820_111408.jpg

20170820_110752.jpg

20170820_110503.jpg

20170820_110351.jpg

I'd be the last one to take issue with Chuck but I have to think the early American Navy had to have some sort of

light in and on their ships during the night. :rolleyes:

I am considering some sort of illumination for my Confederacy.

Cheers, Harley

Edited by tigerdvr

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Hi Svien.

Nice build. Like the idea of the lights.

Did this on my victory cross section. Worked well.

Used very thin wire ( single strand) hidden in a knife cut. And flickered the led with a chip.

Rossi46 also did a excellent  tutorial. 

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15018-hms-surprise-by-rossi46-artesania-latina-scale-148-first-wooden-ship-build/&tab=comments#comment-467056

All the best.

Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Hello 

am about to planing the lights for syren and am going for 5 pico 

I wil also try to make oil lamp for a figur to hold 😓 well if I can??

Am not using the cabel on the photo, it to big so am ordering some New for that.

with some other stuff😆if my wife let me🙊

20170830_191042.jpg

20170830_191121.jpg

20170830_191101.jpg

• 2 months later...

So, here are the lighting istallation 

all the wire is on board and I have montet brass tube fore montig the model later on the board, 

the wire goes true one of the tube and wil go under the finish board

this board will have a lager brass tube so the model will be sett down to.

the lights work well and next is to blokk up the hole frame, sett away the pico leds for future monting 

Svein.erik

20171107_192553.jpg

20171107_193537.jpg

20171107_194023.jpg

20171107_194047.jpg

20171107_204913.jpg

20171107_204920.jpg

20171107_205020.jpg

Re: ship's lights.  Below is a transcribed diary entry from a midshipman in SYREN during her expedition with INTREPID to burn the frigate PHILADELPHIA.  I did my best to interpret the 12-hour clock times given to 24-hour time.  Second para mentions lights, but doesn't indicate where they were displayed.  Taken from "Naval documents related to the United States Wars with the Barbary Powers" five volumes of which are available online.  Many interesting SYREN factoids within...grueling schedule for the small US force involved.

Midshipman F. Cornelius deKrafft

16 February 1804

Commences with fresh breezes, clear and pleasant weather.  The Intrepid in company.  At 0230, made the land on our lee bow.  Hauled up the mainsail, took 1 reef in the topsails, and bent the stream cable.  At 0330, backed the main topsail for the Intrepid to come up.  At 0400, lowered down the cutter and sent 9 men on board the Intrepid with cuttlasses, pistoles, musquets. etc.  At 0430, the boat returned, hoisted her up and made sail for the land.  At 0530, mountain Togura (6 or 8 miles to the E of Tripoli) bore SSW, town of Tripoli SW.   At 0600, tacked to the NW.  At 0730, boarded main tack.  At 0930, tacked to the SW, set staysails and jib.   At 1000, called all hands to quarters and run out the guns, hauled down staysails and jib, and hauled up square mainsail, brailed up after mainsail.  At 1030, spoke the Intrepid.  At 1100, backed the main topsail, sounded and got no bottom. 

Midnight moderate and clear, lost sight of the Intrepid.  Hauled up the foresail, backed main topsail, sounded in 35 fathoms and filled away.  At 0100, sounded in 14, 12, and 9 fathoms (from 0100 to 0400 standing off and on the shore).  Showing lights for the Intrepid (which were answered).   At 0100, called all hands to quarters, run in the guns and secured them, shipped the ports, wore and stood off shore.  Made sail, the Intrepid on our lee bow.  At 0800, the high land near Tripoli bore SW by W, 7 leagues.  At 1100, the Intrepid tacked to the S and E.  Noon, wore to the S and W, handed square mainsail, reefed the foresail, and set after mainsail.  Moderate breezes and pleasant.  The Intrepid bearing S ½ E, 8 miles distance.