Need help with running rigging for the Model Shipways Fair American

Does anyone have a good tip or reference drawing for the running rigging for the Fair American? The rigging drawing provided is less than what is necessary for a novice or beginner builder to determine what is what. Although the drawing might be considered a good art piece, but that's about it. 

I'm about to finish all of the standing rigging and I've been looking at the plans trying to figure out the running rigging. I'm totally lost on most of the running rigging. I've been using the build logs by Rafine and Ken W. which has been tremendous help and I can probably figure most of it out looking at their build logs. I have also been using the instructions for the Syren by Model Shipways. But I was wondering if anyone has something else I could use for reference for the running rigging? 

I'm a retired Civil Engineer and know what it's like to prepare a set of drawings for construction purposes.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Eddie

Edited by Tallsails2
miss spelled word

Hello Eddie

I am not certain if it will be helpful or if I am just adding fuel to the fire, but I always thought that the Revell Constitution rigging plans for their 1/96th scale kit were a good remedial starter for novice riggers of 17/18th century square rigged ships.

http://manuals.hobbico.com/rmx/85-0398-rigging.pdf

While they are not strictly for the Fair American I would think that with the plans you already have combined with the step-by-step sheets for the Constitution you should find a number of similarities between a brigantine and frigate.

Hopefully other more experienced people both with the Fair American and period rigging practices will either confirm or deny the validity of this assumption. There are a number of books on rigging as well that are certain to be more accurate and detailed, but at least with the ones I have, none of them are quite as "Simplified" in their approach as the Revell set.

Hope this is a little help at least.

Lou     

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hi Eddie, I am soon to start on my own MS Fair American Kit.  During my research on this site I opened the kit build tag and found an updated table of the rigging which I have attached.  I am sorry but I cannot remember who to give credit to for this table but it was from this MSW site forum.  I hope this helps.

Standing & Running Rigging - Brig Fair American.pdf

Michael C. Warnick,

USAF SMSGT (Ret)

Current Build:  MS Fair American

Prior Builds:  AL Swift, AL San Francisco II, AL Mississippi

In the hanger:  MS Benjamin W. Latham

• 5 years later...

Sorry for the late reply, hope this is still useful for you.

Model Ship Builder Magazine (Articles available on CD at Nautical Research Guild website.)

Completing the Fair American, Clayton Feldman,               Part 1, #47: pp 13-22

Part 2, #48: pp 14-23

Part 3, #49: pp 16-26

Part 4, #50: pp 37-45

Part 5, #51: pp 3-17

Part 6, #52: pp 50-55

Part 7, #53: pp 48-56

Fair American Photo Album, Clayton Feldman, #58, pp 50-52

BOOKS

“Steels Elements of Mastmaking, Sailmaking, and Rigging”, David Steel, 1794

“Modeling the Brig of War Irene” EW Petrejus, 1970

“The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625-1860” James Lees, 1984

“Young Sea Officers Sheet Anchor” Darcy Lever, 1819

“The Fully Framed Model, Volume 4, Rigging a Sixth Rate Sloop of War 1767-1780”, David Antscherl, 2010