US Brig Syren by fnkershner - Model Shipways - 1:64

1 hour ago, fnkershner said:

Ok just so you don't think I have disappeared here is small update. I just received a large delivery from the Syren ship model company! :D:dancetl6:So I decided to take a small break from Treenailing and copper planking and assemble these suckers. Besides my good friend Per wants to see the results. So here you go. By the way the suckers are SMALL! And when Chuck says you may have to redrill the holes in the 3mm Deadeyes. He should have said You WILL have to redrill the holes. As you can see I still need to do some finish work and I left the 3 mm deadeyes in the stencil until the holes are drilled.

I would also like to comment on these little pieces of sawdust that are supposed to be used to mount the carronades on the sled. OMG even with a magnifying hood they are hard to see. And they have a hole drilled in them? Are you sure? Any suggestions on how to mount them to the Carronades would be appreciated. I may just use a very short piece of wire thru the holes to hold them. For now as you can see they are on a pin so I don't lose them.

Enjoy!

DSCF1601.JPG

DSCF1602.JPG

I used a spot of CA and glued the flat end down on the carronades so you have a flat area to mount to the sleds.  I see absolutely no reason to worry about the hole. I guess you could put some 28 gauge wire through but why? You would never see it. How do you like those deadeyes?

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Svein - So now you make me come clean :P. I am still working on the Treenailing and copper plating. I did not need any of these parts at this time. But I have slowly been purchasing from Chuck all the blocks, Deadeyes, Harts, Rigging Line, Wheel, & Gratings. I think I have spent as much as I gave to MS for the original kit. But hey what else would I spend it on? Wine, Women & Song? Well the admiral says no women, I don't drink, and you don't want to hear me try to carry a note. So here I am. :bird-vi:

PS Don't tell the admiral but I think I have retired. I got laid off from my most recent job a couple weeks ago. And I decided to not look for another job. The Admiral is still adjusting. Mum's the word!

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

You will never guess the distraction that just arrived in my mail today! The plans for America from the Smithsonian. They are perfectly drawn in 1:48 scale by Chapelle! Yes I am going to the dark side! But I guess the Syren must come first.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Work your Amati America first......  :P:rolleyes:

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Work your Amati America first......  :P:rolleyes:

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Per - Why would I do that? Now that I have these plans in the right scale. The Amati is history. I will use the plans for suggestions but that is about all. Gee another excuse the buy more goodies from Chuck.

So you are the one Who took all the blocks from syrenshipsmodellcompany 😜😜

am wathing for the blocks and still waiting😂

but I did get all the New wood then, all castello boxvood for my syren 

so I May have to do some planking Soon? Or not hummm,  if my wife lets me then, haha😇

3 minutes ago, svein erik said:

So you are the one Who took all the blocks from syrenshipsmodellcompany 😜😜

am wathing for the blocks and still waiting😂

but I did get all the New wood then, all castello boxvood for my syren 

so I May have to do some planking Soon? Or not hummm,  if my wife lets me then, haha😇

I feel your pain. I have been waiting for 1/8 and 3/32 blocks  for well over a month. I am also getting a Anchor Kit in a smaller scale.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Carronades look fantastic Floyd. Those would have saved me a ton of money when I replaced the ones in my Cruizer kit vs. the brass ones from Caldercreaft. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Jim - Shall I bring you some of mine? I have 320 of the 3/32" and some 1/8". :) 

Joe - I am sorry. it was a long journey but well worth it. I am very happy with the results. Also Joe the guy who did the design on Shapeways was very flexible and willing to make any simple modifications I ask for. I told him I would share this info here. He is hoping for more business. I strongly recommend this for future builds.

I continue to work on resolving the stern decorations and the side badges. Stay tuned.

Good to know Floyd. I'll certainly use those rather than the expensive brass ones next time I need some. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Ok, A bit of an update. I am having some difficulty with the Copper Plating jig that Jim loaned me. I am sure it is something I did not retain from his instructions. But in the mean time I am moving ahead with some other areas. I am still nervous about my Carronades lining up with the ports correctly so I decided to build a few. (How it that for an excuse?) I am just fascinated this these Carronades. :) Well I am glad I did this. Oh Boy! these little buggers are a model in themselves. So let me walk thru the steps I have taken in the order I did them and comment on the outcome. I hope this helps someone.

1. I replaced the carronade barrels with 3D printed barrels as described above. I am quite please with the result.

2. I painted these barrels flat black (2 coats).

3. I cutout the brackets and painted them. these little buggers as just a bit bigger than saw dust (but I have cried enough on this above)

4. I cutout from the laser cut sheet both the lower and upper sled parts.

5. Painted these wood parts with the same red used elsewhere on the model.

6. Blackened the eyebolts

7. Using my X-Y table I carefully drilled a #65 hole in the sides of all sled parts. (If you look carefully on the picture below you will see a bundle of sled parts taped together and drilled).

8. Cut the eye bolts to the proper length and glued them into the sled parts. (I used CA and this resulted in the splitting of 2 of the sleds - there is 1 spare so there is another request to Model Shipways for parts)

9. I attempted to paint the coasters for the bottom of the sled. (I found that after painting if I used CA to glue the paint came off.) I also found that the coasters were so poorly molded there was no flat surface to glue to the wood.

10. Sanded the tops of the coasters.

11. glued the coasters to the bottom of the sled.

12. repaint the coasters (this is where I am now).

13. Glue the metal arc pieces to the tops of the sleds. (These were previously blackened)

14. Glue the to sled pieces together.

15. Mount the barrels. 

16. Test fit on the deck of the model.

Enough? :o

DSCF1603.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

So 11 days since my last post. After playing with parts from Chuck & 3D printing. I got back to the primary subject. The tree nailing is now done! Both on the bulwarks and the deck. The coppering is done as well! I cannot say enough thanks to Jim. His jig worked like a charm. I am working on the rudder now. But I have run out of eye bolts. It looks like Model Expo did not include enough in the kit. The note is off and the replacements on the way. I ran out while rigging the Carronades.

In the mean time here she is -

DSCF1606.JPG

Looking good Floyd!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Ok, I need some help. I have almost finished attaching the rudder (that will be completed tomorrow). I am looking ahead to the external hull details. I have tried to find a good substitute for the metal decorations on the stern. So far I have failed. Can someone share with me what you used for paint to make them look half way decent? Also the instructions say that I will find the fenders & chesstrees on the 1/16" sheet of bass wood. I am not finding them. Maybe I am assuming a different shape?

I spent most of the day today Blackening parts. Did anyone really put hinge pins in those Horseshoe Hinges! :o

Also anything I should look out for, before I install the channels. please let me know.

Edited by fnkershner

Hi Floyd. 

For something you want to look like wood try painting it with yellow ochre. Once dry give it a wash with a minwax golden oak stain. I use a small brush and gently wipe the excess off. Experiment on something first! 

Hope this helps. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Rusty!

Hi Floyd,

I'm a bit late replying to your questions, but in case you haven't done the fenders yet I sent a photo of where they are on the laser cut sheet.

They are the 2 sets of 3 and 1 set of 2 parts on the left of the 'fairlead'.

Cheers, Peter

Fenders.jpg

Current Build:     USF Confederacy 1778 - Model Shipways - 1:64

Completed:         US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64

San Francisco Cross Section - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Future build:        HM Granado - Caldercraft - 1:64

LeRenard - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Thank you Peter. I was beginning to think that was the answer. But I only need 3 per side. so I guess there are extras.

Ok a small update. I spent the day at my Maker Space workshop. Lots of fun with fellow members. lots of different projects underway. I did some 3D printing and also some work on the Syren. The work you guys do is humbling. I struggled to get the horse shoe hinges on until I hit upon a solution. I found the smallest bit of glue applied with a straight pin was the best solution. I am still working on the rudder hinges. And I thought that would be a simple. Hah! Currently I am doing several things in parallel. Preparing the gun port covers, painting the figurehead, finishing the rudder hinges, and preparing the channels.

file.jpeg

file-1.jpeg

file-2.jpeg

Yes Harvey she loves it. She also says I can't do anything to age it.

So here is where I need advice. Should I coat it with Wipe On Poly? This is my first copper plated model. I am interested in feedback.

And just so you don't think I haven't made much progress. I spent about 2 hours painting the young lady below.

DSCF1608.JPG

DSCF1609.JPG

Dirk thanks for the feedback. I read your log with great interest. I have also learned quite a bit from you. But I am afraid I will be in the brig far too long if I age my copper. I have strict orders from the admiral to leave it alone. My good friend Jim has even loaned me a solution he used on his Syren. But for now it stays in the bottle. Now on the other hand if it ages naturally I can't be held responsible. :D

PS dirk when do we see rigging on your Syren? Or is she stuck in the shipyard forever?