Waka by John Allen - FINISHED - 1:24 - Maori War Canoe

Denis,

On 11/27/2017 at 2:02 PM, DenPink said:

The canoes are all carved and the eyes on the bow had a shell in them.

I have not seen a Waka canoe that was painted if they had paint on them it was very little.

Denis,

Thank you for your interest and posting. I did a lot of research before I started this project for several reasons, 1 Knowing absolutely nothing about the Maori history, culture, social and religious practices I felt the need to educate myself. 2 Quite a few of the builders on this site are from the New Zealand area and I did not want to embarrass myself or embarrass myself as little as possible.(my biggest gaff so far was miss-spelling WaKa-Waca after looking at it a thousand times thanks Dan). 3. I wanted it to be as historically accurate as possible. 4. Your right about the shell which I will add after completion of the carvings, it was also placed intermittently down the sides of the hull blow the gunnels I have mother of pearl and some abalone that that will be set into some of the filigree of the carved stern posts.

That said as noted in historical journals Waka Tuau were observed painted red and black for death, also had a sail used when going down wind that could be thrown up and taken down quickly and was stored on the thwarts between paddlers, it was made of flax or raupu  (bulrushes) and was observed with woven designs.

I am sure I will make many more foo pahs I appreciate and welcome all constructive input to educate me and help improve my build.:)

Edited by John Allen
misspelling Waka again

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Lawrence,

Thanks for the like, in Some historical journals there were varied descriptions over 60 to 70 years different observations depending on the writer. One said seagoing navigational canoes were up to 80 feet with 100 paddlers, I doubt that was a single hull most observers stated the Waka Tuau war canoe was un-seaworthy in heavy weather, So 60 ft. paddlers.

I agree foot pedal works good of you remember to take your foot of the pedal, have the pricks in the hand to prove it thankful for low rpm. Happy paddling

John Allen

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

• 3 weeks later...

Progress to date as they said in Cool Hand Luke WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS A FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE, well I need your input and assistance several conundrums. Have finished the deck gratings, bailing area and baler. The followin pics are the gratings and thwartsgratings.thumb.JPG.02650c7bd118ed7fe6a184129f4b29eb.JPG5a3ed0e9a6ac9_gratingsbailingwell.thumb.JPG.f455fbde94ce421f0a6a44c4bf33e0ae.JPG5a3ed0ac3840a_gratesthwarts.thumb.JPG.0db30e5fd52f32848c8a2d68f31be782.JPG

The stern thwart was usually carved and not sat on this was usually reserved for the chief or head man that stood and called out the chant for the warriors that rowed. The next pics are of sails sketched by eyewitnesses, they include a V sail other observations were off a lateen rig but those appear to be used on other canoes the V sail on the Waka Tuau.5a3ed12aab9e3_sailconfi2.thumb.JPG.b0a872df57deb281117b0e06d7fdcd4c.JPG

5a3ed1b8a469d_sailconfig..thumb.JPG.734adc1b668493d0e7837cbff0040ec3.JPG

5a3ed157c5238_sail5.thumb.JPG.cd46dd0352d9acdf41b24eb715277caf.JPG

The problem I have the sail by accounts of the time had 2 fore stays 2 back stays and 2 side stays, I have searched up and down  there is no information on how the lines were fastened. Holes in the thwarts? tied around the thwarts with coils laid on the gratings? no pics or installations of any kind of a system of cleats? See following pics have the lines just tied to thwarts

Also the sail was only used downwind and by accounts was quickly put then taken down and laid down the middle of the thwart5a3ed1720b291_bowforestays.thumb.JPG.062d3fdbe9afda611402f20199b6e5db.JPGsail2.thumb.JPG.9d9d430b2d66f992cdf1b4255bd99e8a.JPG5a3ed144b9cd2_sail3.thumb.JPG.d5b508f53cca1504fbeacb4d484d0d7b.JPGstern.thumb.JPG.c9054592f0565083011f0060c9f80d36.JPGmidships.thumb.JPG.c805d4df968511934b5617a38a9085c3.JPGs

Next problem sails were made of Raupo leaves bulrushes, leaves were 6 feet long or flax (linen) This sail is a burlap DSCN2987.thumb.JPG.0daf49d0ef76c3129af3d72449b0fea7.JPG

the next sail is linen.5a3ed1ff26a61_linensail.thumb.JPG.d934cc929c9d5a28f1a3119dbf985fea.JPG

Do not know which way to go or color??

Advice on sails and help with locating and securing lines? I am a big boy now there isn't any suggestion will insult me or hurt my tender feelings need advice.

sail config..JPG

sail confi2.JPG

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Nice progress John. Loved the detail - especially the bailer. Sorry no I have no relevant knowledge to help your deliberations.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 3 months later...

Thought better post an update before I get kicked off.

Have added sail, anchor, began constructing base, added carvings to prow and stern, took acid to abalone to bring up polished iridescent colors , and gave the nautilus an acid bath to bring out the mother of pearl and split it in half. Constructed feather streamers for aft decoration and the beasts head on the prow.

Settled on this piece of mahogany for the base, I will probably clear coat onlybase.thumb.JPG.30b7decf12ed3505874bbe50d94899c0.JPG

This is my 5th attempt on making a sail. Sails were constructed from linen or woven raupa leaves, had    made one from linen and 3 different weaves of burlap. I think comes the closet to a woven leaf look? In historical accounts, logs, and illustrations a sail was employed in sailing downwind only, due to the roundness of the bottom and the canoes being very narrow. They would roll it up and place it down the middle of the thwarts when not in use. To me the sail appears too large but is based again on records that sails were 1/3 the height of the canoes length. I have a 36 inch canoe sail should be 10 inches which it is.  I have to think about this one not comfortable with it

sail3.thumb.JPG.0f2baa03b23a2b26574df79ed37209e7.JPG

To get the abalone and mother of pear discs I had to create a wash of 20% muraitic acid and bring out the colors of abalone and pearl of the nautilus, then cut the nautilus in half.

5adccd31b9459_polishednautlius.thumb.JPG.9b6e7446674b126eb565b0751c65a222.JPG

5adccd3dd82d1_nautilusinside.thumb.JPG.9e7d42cfab2608b92e5b19a65174a7bd.JPG

Then breaking down a lot of pieces was able to shape into 42 ovals to place in between feathers on outside stringer (placed one in between feathers pic blurry.

5adcccec707bd_aboloneheomstat.thumb.JPG.b6d3e236c74dd70fb244ba720d724740.JPG

abolone.thumb.JPG.12e452d40570173f56f0df3ed063d53f.JPG

Was able to accomplish this with a hemostat and nail polisher machine (was amazed hemosatt did not break under pressure fro shell or sanding into shape.

5adccda350f99_placepearl.thumb.JPG.65c9074e290026e0d4c5a426f545c7f0.JPG

5adccd580604d_featherbow.thumb.JPG.2ec348e1c38079c883f13d50af463c27.JPG

On the head of the beast will be placed a streamer of white feathers (according to accounts) ignore the anchor have to redo doubt they would have line in a coil but just piled loosely)the problem was to attach feathers in sush a way it was realistic working with small items. Solution to cut a huge pile of feathers get the thinnest white line coated with PVA and roll taut line in feathers. This was not fun the boss turned on the ceiling fan and started snowing putting me back hours (she said did that cause a problem I said of course not that will help me separate the biguns from the littluns)

white3.thumb.JPG.b265ff397aca49ac61c86dd0146c2e37.JPG

I did the black feathers the same way (sans fan) these will be the streamers placed on top of the fantail re: a previously posted pic

5adccd6fe3033_featherstreamers.thumb.JPG.bfa18ced4f8f8dce5b493ff6a630c097.JPG

5adccd61377b6_featherstern.thumb.JPG.6b92744d60c348e10480b4016af2fe7b.JPG

Have a long way to go canoe needs a lot of touch up prow to stern, base assembled, assembly of fighting sticks and paddles. Mother of pearl and abalone disks need to be added, and also inserted in beasts eyes. Sail I do not know to add or not to add a conundrum. What put me behind good old XP which I use for a lot of defunct programs that will not work with newer OPs had to be switched to AOL shield Okay what they did not do was give warning that favorites would not transfer and be eliminated, well sad to say all my research in excess of at least 40 hrs. history and content and contacts was flushed before I could save elsewhere cest la vie till the next post.

abolone.JPG

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Wow John!

I personally think you are making excellent progress on what is a very unique vessel. You are braver than me with the feathers. One sneeze before the final gluing and it's start over time! :( It kind of saddened me to see the Nautilus having to make the ultimate sacrifice for your small pieces,  not so much the Abalone. I think I would have been cruising the costume jewelry isles of Michael's looking for possibilities!

I do think that we may have attended different educational institutions though. When I went to school 1/3rd of 36" was 12" not 10. :huh: I think you may just be stuck on the idea that the sail looks too high even at 10". It is your choice though, and it looks like you have enough pictures in you research materiel to go by your feeling rather than some statement made by the author you are referencing. Draw a paper ruler measuring the length of the hull in the picture, call that 36" (+- for perspective), then mark the height of the sail in the same picture, and you should be able to form your own opinion and see it agrees with the author. The more pictures you can do this with the better. Also remember that you are dealing with artists who drew or painted "what they saw" AFTER the fact. I am sure you have taken enough statements to know how peoples memories can alter details even after a very short time, even trained people. 

Looking forward to some more progress.

Lou 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hi John. 

Well, talk about excellent progress!  I’m really loving all the little details that you’re adding to the hull, all of which are bringing her to life.  In fact, you can almost hear the war drums beating away in the background.

I agree with Imagna about the Nautilus’ shell, (kinda made me wince), but it certainly adds value and authenticity to the overall effect that you’re working towards.

Top stuff!  

Cheers. 

Patrick

John, I was pleased to see the update. The final version of the sail looked great and the use of shell was fascinating. Your self control during the fan incident demonstrates excellent marital skills but you might consider buying her flowers, as a thank you, and to encourage her to do it again. 

Edited by KeithAug

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Hi John, I haven't looked in before now much to my loss.  Great model of an unusual modelling subject.  Ypur model looks great and I love all the additional detail you have added.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

John, it's been a while since I checked out your log and I've obviously missed a lot of the progress you've made. I'm very impressed by the amount of painstaking research you've done and the care and attention to detail in your work.

A very unusual and worthwhile model, and I look forward to further developments.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Lou, your right about the 12" had made the first that size didn't look right hence shorter. I lost my explorers diaries of Tasman, Polacks, Cook and D'urvilles. All noted and a few drew illustrations of sails on the war canoe. Since none were closely inspected or measured who knows they could have been at this scale 8' I'll just have to muddle thru I tend to do a lot of that.

Thanks Patrick re; you and Lou on the nautilus, I have a stockpile I have kept over the years of marine items rare and common shells and corals. Had a gift shop on Dauphin Island AL. was to be my retirement from enforcement, short story a hurricane blew that away.  Footnote we probably contributed to the damage of the reefs and over harvesting of shells. In the 80s we refused to purchase corals, sea life or endangered shell species becoming aware of the over harvesting damage to marine life and started a boycott other stores would not join in (you know the mighty dollar). I had probably 25 nautilus and Paper Argonauts (what octopi lay there eggs in) This nautilus had a bad crack so the ultimate sacrifice was OK. We used to polish them cut them in half. Teachers would buy them to show kids where the idea for subs came from the shell in the 1700s, in each chamber there is a small hole the shell would take in water to sink and blow water out to rise (pretty cool).

Keith right on happy wife if I had said what did you do you ruined hrs of work, well the response would be icy and I 'd be told Oh you should have known this could happen and should have done where there was no fan harumph (like outside). No I wanted to eat tonight.

Pat , Steven thanks for the likes and to all others that hit the like button.:cheers:

Edited by John Allen
spelling

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Hi John

It’s sad to hear that your retirement hopes went under as a result of a storm. I can definitely empathise with you and your wife. It must’ve been tough. 

Similarly, I hear what you’re saying about the environmental impact of over harvesting and you deserve kudos for taking the stand that you did. 

Well done. 

Thanks. 

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

c8.thumb.JPG.139ee0243683125be6e10ce6d62b6f6a.JPG

Hello to those that are following this madness here is the latest incoherent update (as Paul Newman said as Cool Hand Luke what we have here is a failure to communicate):P The sail is in place temporarily , still may make another not tickled pink with the way it looks. The following picks depict the feather streamers on the stern piece, feathers placed on the head of the monster. Mother of pearl were placed in the eyes of the bow monster and the small head on the stern. Streamers attached to the sail, and abalone shell interspersed down the outboard stringers between the flowers. The aft streamers with flowers 9Accordin to Cook's account) were long enough a to trail in the water.

c1.thumb.JPG.bbabc669f83d9c5d1439eab6e034ae9c.JPG

Side view feathers and shell inlays. I believe originally shells would have been drilled and tied to the stringers

c2.thumb.JPG.6cfcdca228896496324970d6f464d33b.JPG

Forward side view sail tie down lines 2 more will have to be added as stated earlier the sail was only used downwind. When not in use was folded and laid in the thwarts between paddlers.c3.thumb.JPG.f6e82bccae040b70c6553cbd8f25378c.JPG

Forward view beasts head covered in flowers, anchor and line stowed forward. Anchors were large rocks that were grooved or had a hole drilled in the center to take the anchor line. Another method was a large stone or a group of smaller stones wrapped in a basket made of flexible twines or a wicker type material.

c4.thumb.JPG.cc6674e1ae95e5dbc0cfc2e82af33542.JPG

The next two pics show a mother of pearl inlay in the eyes of the stern face and bow beast.c5.thumb.JPG.e65b2fdc6a0712b1de308ab8ccb79863.JPG

c6.thumb.JPG.40586a7d60ec07ac36d168234936f047.JPG

Next pics different views of canoe.

c7.thumb.JPG.e7cc934c7d41b1c58455ef6b72a269f0.JPG

c8.thumb.JPG.139ee0243683125be6e10ce6d62b6f6a.JPG

c9.thumb.JPG.e5f2ec9b11bf8b6b4faf95dba212a587.JPG

c10.thumb.JPG.264b96374fb5ae750038d590b868e584.JPG

c11.thumb.JPG.458ae2c9dfc3d2cda8ff0a080faf7be2.JPG

Finally we have Daddy's little monster "er" helper. If I am missing something first i go to his bed and blankets and usually find it. He he is as silent as a sniper when he is skulking around, and the other half is a pack rat. I have found pencils, knives (with the cover still in place), cannons dead eyes numerous pieces of wood strips chewed into kindling. I had a rolled up paper I called his beat stick, and would pop him on  his but say no after the 100th time just gave up. He would wag his tail and look at me and his smiliing eyes would say "is that all you got" :default_wallbash:

d1.thumb.JPG.dcd4fff4502c3bdb80e9de6aa8c99f36.JPG

Thats it for now , please make any suggestions as what to add, what to take , what changes should be made. I am a big boy let it fly. I think changes could be made but others might have a better insight.

Hev to finish stand, it is mahogany. Was going to leave it Au natural but think a darker mahogany stain will look better.

Still have to make a display paddle and a Maori fighting stick here is a 3 or 4 part video in making one and wielded by a big dude. I would have to bring a gun to that stick fight.;)

Authentic taiaha making, //wholistichauora.greatproductsconnections.com/

d2.JPG

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Hi John

Good to see you back with more pictures of the feather duster! :D I am a bit surprised at the size in relation to your table, (By the way your table is WAY too clean!) unless your table is really small, the canoe is much larger, or is that longer, than I envisioned. I am still impressed with all the carving you have had to do and the resulting quality. Carving for me is a no-go. Kind of like music and me. I have all the musical talent of an oyster and the only instrument I can play is a radio or CD player! Same with carving, if I was to try this build it really would look like a feather duster!

Keep it up, I am looking forward to seeing more.  

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Oh, by the way I think you may have taken the first pictures of the elusive "Carpet Monster" that was being talked about the other day! :D^_^

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Wonderful looking model John; I really like the detailed carvings and extra bits and pieces which make it look very authentic.

Better keep your 'helper" away from it ;)

cheers

Pat

Lou,

The canoe is 36 inches long, the dining table is the only place to take a halfway decent pic. You wood have seen my name in the obituaries if I attempted any work here.  Could barely do this build at my work table in retrospect I should have made this in the 24" range. There was an inspection after the pics for scratches, all good but was ordered to pick up 3 loose feathers.

Thanks Mark, Cog, Pat, CDW,  Landrotten Highlander, GrantGoodale for the likes.

Helper is much smarter than I am, sad thing is he knows it.

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Very cool concept!  Excellent execution!  A Maori War Canoe is a very neat subject!  Very well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

14 hours ago, John Allen said:

You wood have seen my name in the obituaries if I attempted any work here.

Just put your foot down and INFORM her that it's your house too!............................ then set up your blankets in the back yard.:( I my case I can have anything out that I want...... So long as there is room and I do not have to move one of her things, or if it doesn't clash with what she already has there.

Same world different place.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks for the like Phil

Lou You forgot the first commandant What is mine stays mine, What is yours is mine and there is no ours.:D

John Allen

On deck

Finished

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am finished. What I learned (like eating) sometimes yours eyes are bigger than your stomach. To do over would cut it down 36 in. to 24-26 inch range. Plan to due several more at a later date. I would use boxwood for the bow and stern carvings. On the gunnels above the stringers I would use a boxwood panel then inset it. I think it would really pop. I would probably eliminate the sail, I sewed 4- 3 out of burlap and 1 out of linen was not pleased with any.

c5.thumb.JPG.ff4001154da0d6a22b3faca96a0ab201.JPG

c8.thumb.JPG.091ad4b42d6933429513077b28880d33.JPG

c9.thumb.JPG.7918f8b518fd9d53bc089e29adcc0d80.JPG

c12.thumb.JPG.408b4ff177157b5b991a33e666435b44.JPG

canoe2.thumb.JPG.79aaa70ad609a35006b3337e83bc5f56.JPG

All said I am happy the way it turned out, made a lot of mistakes it was a large learning curve.;)

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Carl,

Thank you for the likes and kind comment.

John Allen

On deck

Finished

2 hours ago, John Allen said:

sometimes yours eyes are bigger than your stomach

I don't know why you say that John. You obviously not only finished it but did an excellent job as well. if you were to make it smaller next time I think you would run into a whole new set of problems. The carvings would be much smaller and harder as would everything else.

You have done a very interesting and unique build well researched and executed. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

nice job on the canoe John.......not have too much knowledge on them, I didn't have much to add,  but I had fun reading and following along.  I do agree with Lou though........to do one at a smaller scale, it might bring out a whole new list of problems.   you did a super job  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I really enjoyed this build, learning the history, religion, language,  of a proud people and was as enjoyable as the build. When I can cut myself some slack I will try to create the research I conducted it was quite extensive and were some good side notes. I learned a lot on the way to dos and not do dos:default_wallbash:

Popeye, Lou Cog, Jack 12477, G.L., LandRotten Highlander, Haliburton and all who checked in.

Thank you.

We can finish Victory and start CSS Hunley thinking of a drop down cut-a-way showing interior and crew

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Ditto John; a very nice job on such an unusual (model) subject.

cheers

Pat