Le Cerf

Kurt Johnson

Hi Kurt,

Funny you should mention it. I have the kit right here as I was going to do a little slide show or video of the contents of the kit for Ages of Sail, which carries the kit. I think it's oddly overlooked by the general ship modeling community. The standard kit, like other Dusek kits, uses resin castings for the cannons, and that's the only downside I see to it, as I prefer nicely turned brass. Probably something Chuck sells might work.

What I really love about the kit is that it's one of the few non-Viking ship model kits that features clinker built planking.

I've been planning on taking some photos and I can post them here for you in the next couple days.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

8 hours ago, catopower said:

The standard kit, like other Dusek kits, uses resin castings for the cannons, and that's the only downside I see to it, as I prefer nicely turned brass. Probably something Chuck sells might work.

Dušek sells both turned brass cannons and a bundle kit+cannons. And it's on sale right now :)

There is also "inside the box" video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBT3_J9oKsA

Edited by Mumin

I located a copy of Boudroit's monograph for the Le Cerf and it's on order too, that should aide the research department. I want to try to carve the decorative transom in pear, the clinker hull should be a challenge. I'll probably replace some of the kits wood with pear. Daniel has always been amenable about offering replacements at a very reasonable price. I ordered the kit version with the brass cannon's. I better get out to the mailbox!!!!!

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Hi Kurt,

Sounds like you've got it pretty well covered. The clinker planking is already laser cut and I doubt that you'll find it difficult at all. I built Shipyard's HMS Alert paper model, which had clinker planks pre-designed in a similar fashion and found it to be quite easy. Much easier, in fact, than carvel-built planking. The Le Cerf monograph is great, I have a copy myself, but it just makes me want to try to scratch build the thing!

I love how the deck in the Dusek kit is already laser cut for you in pear wood so that the planks follow the curve of the hull. Not only does it simplify a difficult to build feature, it makes short work of the deck planking too.

I suspect that between the laser-cut deck, and laser-cut clinker planking, you will find this to be a very quick build.

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

I am being building Le Cerf from scratch according to Ancre's plans:    https://ancre.fr/en/monographies-en/34-monographie-du-cerf-cotre-1778.html

in 1/48 scale. The monogram includes also quite comprehensive history about the ship's life, and French navy in general at that era. In my opinion the clinker hull is much easier to build than the carvel one. There are some minor discrebancies in plans, but nothing very serious. I have been building the model about two years now, and finally it gets closer to finalization, being in the rigging and sails production phase.

Hello Kurt. The biggest is the galley between mast and dinghy. Some drawings include the galley, some don't. I made my model without it. See the attached photo.

Then there are some numbering of blocks, eyebolts etc. at the rigging plan, which do not match with the description. But nothing very severe.

20170820_103242.jpg

My Le Cerf arrived! 6 days from ordering, Czech Republic to New Jersey. That's pretty darn good. I must say the Dusek kits are seriously good. Nothing shabby about the quality or service.  Now I have to wait for my Ancre book to arrive from France, I think that may take longer.

Kurt

Today my copy of Ancre's Le Cerf arrived, not to bad just a little over a week, it was actually at my Post Office over the weekend and I only received notice yesterday to pick it up today. At a quick glance it looks like Mr Dusek got it right. Now that f I can get the clinker part right......

Kurt

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2017 at 1:14 PM, Kurt Johnson said:

Today my copy of Ancre's Le Cerf arrived, not to bad just a little over a week, it was actually at my Post Office over the weekend and I only received notice yesterday to pick it up today. At a quick glance it looks like Mr Dusek got it right. Now that f I can get the clinker part right......

Kurt

I too am building this excellent kit.  I also went the extra and ordered a set of the brass barrels.  But not on sale!  I also ran down a copy of the mention book, albeit in French and the price plus ship was more than I was willing to pay.  So I guess I will most certainly watch for your build and make corrections based on your's.

Have you started yours yet.  Not to high jack your thread, but this is where I am at as of today.

Rick😎

IMG_0086.JPG