Fly tying thread

grsjax

Hi grsjax,

I am far from an expert but I made some rope with my ropewalk out of 100% polyester and it came out very "stretchy" or somewhat elastic.  If I use something with at least 25% cotton  and the rest polyester the rope does stretch like an elastic.  The polyester also tends to have a sheen about it which I don't like but that is just a preference.

Tom

Perfect for stropping blocks.

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

I am making extensive use of fly tying thread on my 3/16" scale model of the Pride of Baltimore 2. It's been most useful for 2 things: as serving line to give a natural fiber line an appearance more resembling of standing rigging, and for seizing blocks. So far I haven't used fly tying thread for the actual rigging itself, as its appeareance wouldn't be natural enough (plus I see the comment above about it being too stretchy, which I believe). But nothing beats it so far when it comes to seizing blocks or serving line. To secure seizings, I am currently using Flexament, also a fly tying product that seems to be doing a great job of securing the seizings to the underlying natural fiber line. I initially tried doing this with flat topcoat, but it did not provide a reliable bond.

Attached is a picture showing a seizing of fly tying thread being tied around a line that has been previously served with fly tying line, exemplifying both of the things I use it for!

DSC_0678.jpg

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

It's almost a must for smaller scale builds. Even sewing thread can look too big. That said it can have you seeing double before too long. I don't remember the first brand/size I got but I didn't like it. Almost seemed like it was made of lots of pieces and under some conditions it would loosen up, fray and even come apart. From a suggestion here I use Uni-Thread 6/0 now and it has worked quite well.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Best material for small scales :-)

Posted February 20, 2013

XXXDAn

Indeed, dafi made a lot of experiments with fly-tying thread for small scales ...

Personally, I found the Veevus-brand from Denmark the best: http://veevus.com/. They have various useful colours, such as greys, tans, and of course black. Also they go down to 16/0, which is useful for making really small-scale ropes. Usual disclaimer: I do not have any business-relationship with the company other than as a customer. I got the stuff from various ebay-sources btw.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Richvee, ratlines were 1.5 inch rope so for your model, that would be .023 inch thread (1.5/64).   Something close to that size will work, just visualize what looks about right.                       

Keep building and above all. have fun!

Duff

• 2 weeks later...

My model is 1:64, and I am using 0.006" thread (Morope) for the ratlines. The problem one would have with fly tying thread is its comparative stiffness for its size. It may be difficult to get it to hang in a curve, and synthetic fly tying thread would not absorb dilute glue well enough to get it to conform to the shape you want it to take. I love fly tying line for seizings and serving, but I don't think it would work well for ratlines.

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

• 4 months later...

Many years ago, I took a class in fly tying and acquired the tools. To this day, I have tied maybe six flies, but the vise, thread bobbin, and head cement has been excellent for seizing and threading on small parts.  The bobbin is a must to keep the thread manageable.  

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Don't forget the wire fly tiers use as well. It comes in diameters from 0.0045"(37 gauge) to 0.0135"(28 gauge) and a variety of colors. 100 yards per spool for $1.65 ea. at J.Stockard (jsflyfishing.com). They also have a full range of threads of silk, polyester and nylon as well as vises in all price ranges, hackle pliers, bobbins, etc.  BTY: you can get a vice there for $7.00! And no, I don't get any compensation for touting them.