You could use it for that,  if it is Yellow Poplar that is the subject here.

It is closed pore and has a tight grain.  It is not brittle or fuzzy.

It is an excellent choice for solid and lift style hulls.  The mark

against it for POF framing is that it is light weight and for smaller

vessels below 1:48 in scale, I would be worried about the strength

of the frame. 

You offer no location information.  If you are eastern US,  check the

cost for Hard Maple.  It should be about $5 /bf.  It approaches what

passes for Boxwood these days in hardness and is much stronger than Yellow Poplar.

It will produce much more wear on saw blades however,  but the feel of working it

in these small scales, is I find, more satisfying.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Poplar is an excellent wood for modeling.  Low cost, fairly hard (harder than basswood but not as hard as good quality soft maple) but easy to work.  turns, carves, saws and drills well.  Takes paint, stain and glue with no trouble.  Don't know about steam bending as I haven't done any with poplar.  If you can check the piece for hardness as there is some variation, get the hardest piece available with no or very few knots or other defects.   Wonder why kit manufactures don't use poplar instead of basswood.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Thanks guys, Soft maple may be a better choice, but poplar is already milled to 1/4 thickness at Home Depot and is quite cheap, while I would have to mill the maple myself, and I don't have the equipment. Btw I live on the east coast 

Edited by 111111

The poplar that Home Depot is offering may not be yellow poplar.  Aspen is also called poplar here in Minnesota and is sold in milled thicknesses in big box home improvement stores.  It is almost white, while the yellow poplar is darker, sometimes with a greenish cast. I tried using some of the Aspen/poplar and was unimpressed.

Our big box store also sells maple in milled thicknesses.  If you can find that it would be a much better choice.  Harold Hahn's first POF models were framed with maple.

Roger

I've used poplar for one solid hull project and am currently using it for another. Similar source as yours. No problems. Don't know how it would work cut down for planking. 

I know it paints well, but not sure about staining -- it has a variety of strong grain colors. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

try Loews ! They carry poplar, maple, oak, pine, aspen in an aisle near their main lumber area - it's list under "craft lumber" and is cut in 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 3/4 and I think 1 " thickness and widths from 1 up to 6 inches and lengths of 2, 3, 4 ft. Don't know sub-species of Maple they have but it is nice looking wood. That's where I get my "craft" lumber fro various home projects.

My store of choice is Menards and they stock maple.  My only objection is that I can't get used to buying lumber wrapped in plastic!

Another great source of maple is flooring- the kind that you nail down vs the free floating type.  Several years ago we had a maple floor installed in our family room and I made sure that I got all of the scrap.  First class stuff but you have to be able to mill it to size.

Roger

I get some from Menards, as well. It is also known as tulip poplar. Woodcraft stores sometimes have it in a greater variety of sizes.  The Woodcraft stuff is also drier, and frequently on sale. Beware:  When you take the plastic wrap off the Menards stuff it can quickly warp or cup, depending on the ambient humidity. 

Id stay away from the Aspen. Much too soft, fuzzy ... I haven't found a good use for it (not even good kindling). 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

If you would be so kind, please give us a name to address you.  Having to call you by a number is not very nice.   

Thank you

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Good point regarding the plastic wrap.  Up here the local name for Aspen is "Popel" and it grows aggressively in areas cut over by loggers.  It doesn't get very big and is cut for pulpwood and is increasingly being used by the "engineered" lumber people.  We can expect to see more of it as it is sustainable.  I agree that although it has a good appearance it is a poor choice for modeling.

Roger

Menard's specialty dimensioned lumber (plastic wrapped) goes under the name "Mastercraft". Not sure if that's their own brand, or if there is an independent company out there. They used to stock a variety of species, but now you have to special order walnut and cherry and mahogany. They seem to usually have poplar, hickory, maple and oak. 

Steve

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

There are several kind of poplar, but stubbornes  found me that the Scandinavian core is the better one.

As it ages it will have a very light  greyish tone.

The grain is easy to work with and makes a very smooth surface. 

Poplar is very popular for fine detail wood working in Europe.

Poplar is a good source of wood for scratch building as for a solid hull.

I have the material waiting for such project.

Good luck

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry