New to the forum

Doc hoy

Hey folks,

I am new to the forum and am looking forward to some enlightenment.

I am a long time ship model builder, working mostly from plans and not from kits. I have never had any training, nor any exposure to experts and consequently I make a lot of mistakes, do work which is at best, average. 

Did America's cup defender Sappho, Sloop of war Wasp, Revenue cutter, Joe Lane and Snow, Washington all in quarter inch scale and all from Smithsonian plans. Did several Baltimore Clippers and some earlier vessels.

I am a retired U.S. Naval Officer and also retired university professor. Now own a restaurant. (Soups Plus). Born in PA but now live in Chesapeake, VA.   

Welcome to MSW  Doc 

Look forward to seeing your work. There are many forums here covering everything you might need help with make me sure yo cruise around and check them all out they have helped me out alot

Derek

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

Welcome aboard.

You have come to a great place for "enlightenment." There are some true masters on this site, and even better is the fact that they are always willing to lend a helping hand. Don't hesitate to share your work. I bet it is much better than "average."

Welcome Doc

There is no better place to get a LOT of tips on building a better model ship than here.  Very happy to see another scratch builder come on board.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Doc,

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome aboard. You will find some great people here that are very willing to help. I have made some good friends and expect you will too.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Welcome to MSW Doc! I have no doubt that you will find plenty of help and great people to help you along your way.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild