Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

ErRains

It is time to pressure that little dream I have had since my high school years….to build Wooden Ships!

After 22 years in the Air Force, marriage and then the transitioning back into civilian life one of my goal was to return to model building.  I started backing into plastic kits since that was what I had built mostly in my early years. I focused on Armor and some Aircraft here and there but always in the back of my mind was that little dream of wooden ships….and then in August (2017) my wife and I took trip to Boston.  As most of you have undoubtedly guessed we paid a visit to the USS Constitution and that little dream is now becoming a reality.  With the support of my wife I decided to move from the world of plastic kits (but not totally away) and begin the long and hopefully enjoyable journey into the world of tall ships and wooden hulls. With the first steps beginning here. 

But first things first….lots of reading and lots of questions and then some more reading and research.  My hope is to select my first subject and begin the framing process by the end of year (2017). This will be the only deadline I plan to impose upon myself as the learning of a new skill set will require a significant time investment. So for now it’s over to the “Database of Articles and Downloads” and “For Beginners -- A Cautionary Tale” to start my reading. Lastly I would like to say Thank You in advance to everyone for the sound advice, honest answers and constructive criticisms that I hope receive….so…Thank You.

I’m looking forward to this journey into the world of tall and elegant ships.    

Best Regards

Eric Rains

Vancouver, Wa, USA    

Hiya Eric and welcome to the site.

Sounds like you have a good perspective on what you want to achieve and a healthy respect for this intricate hobby. If I can offer one piece of advice, chose a model that appeals to your eye the most. One you could stare at for a good long while when it's complete. Oh, and take your time. I guess that's two pieces of advice...

Anyhow, you're off on the right foot, having found this site. I wish you many happy hours of building!

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Welcome aboard Eric. This is a great place to make friends and learn from people who are willing to go out of their way to help. By the way, I'm just up I-5 in Bremerton.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Eric & Al - I am the president of the Puget Sound Ship Modelers. We meet monthly in the Seattle area. Occasionally we meet in the Foss Seaport Museum in Tacoma. we have members as far east as Idaho. You are welcome to drop me a line and I will add you to our mailing list. We also have a significant collection of tools, book, & wood for dues paying members. Send me an email address and I will get you connected. Also Eric there used to be a club in Portland. I am not sure they are still active.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Eric, Welcome to MSW  The group in Portland still meet the third Thursday of the month on board the steamer"Portland"

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Welcome to MSW ,

there is so much info and knowledge here at MSW , I'm sure you will find all the help you need here to point you in the right direction.

Best of luck 

Derek

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

My son retires from the Air Force next July after 20 years so CONGRATS! Did basic at Ft. Lewis in '71. 

Enjoy what I believe is the besy hoby/life interest in the world. Do not forget You Tube for builders info. Google the kit you are attempting and let 'er rip. I started with Model Expo because they will replace parts I might ruin in the building. I bought online a wood garage kit, real wood, and built it for my grandson. He love4d it but couldn't take it woith to Korea where his dad is stationed.