dvm27   

I came across these photos I purchased from the Science museum after my visit in the 1970's. At that time, you could purchase black and white photos of many models in the museums collection. I was of the opinion then, and still am, that Longridge's Victory model is one of the finest models ever made. Sadly, about a decade ago, I heard it was sorely neglected and the hull was in need of serious restoration. I've no idea if the model is even still on display. At any rate, perhaps these photos will be of use to some current dayVictory modeler.59a37bb56e5c2_Victory1(1).thumb.jpg.bb8d812674d0a174a4ff73502981418e.jpg59a37bb6915f8_Victory1(3).thumb.jpg.3b77d1cc099ccd56fca6270b07c52674.jpg59a37bb7d822e_Victory2(2).thumb.jpg.c967fca9bb359594c92daface1e0600e.jpg59a37bb967580_Victory4(4).thumb.jpg.104321ed525b36452dfb8345dfb54a5a.jpg59a37bbab4b55_Victory5(5).thumb.jpg.e88256776379a1968b3e82c80363890a.jpg59a37bbbcbbc8_Victory6(6).thumb.jpg.9a05a463617ae6c0f9957bfd440f7ef4.jpg

druxey, oneslim, Archi and 9 others like this

druxey   

To the best of my knowledge, that model is in the 'reserve collection' -  a fancy phrase for 'storage'. Yes, there were some open seams in the model's wales, but they were there since the 1980's and were probably the result of low humidity.

Canute, mtaylor and MEDDO like this

Thank you Greg for posting those images.  I agree with you that this is arguably the finest model every made.  

I viewed her in 1990.   Some of her hull planking showed separations (one or two millimeters) but she was in overall great condition. 

However, in my most recent trip 2013, she was no longer on display and the guards would not admit me into their storage.  Duff

mtaylor, Canute and druxey like this

MartinB   

I would have liked to have met C. Nepean Longridge. Preferably on the deck of CS when he was measuring her, with a gin or two.

A giant in our hobby no doubt. Class is best admired.

Martin 

druxey, mtaylor and Canute like this

MEDDO   

I feel so lucky that I was able to see this in 2006 before it went into storage. Although all of my pictures are from a very inexpensive digital camera so they are not that good. Still, going through them gives a good overview of the ship. 

Canute, druxey and mtaylor like this

Mark P   

Thanks for the pictures Greg;

For Richard,  or anyone else who would like to see her,  she is probably in the Science Museum's large object store,  which is located near Swindon in England,  and is a fair drive (by UK standards,  anyway: no offence to our transatlantic brethren) from London.

Access would have to be arranged in advance.

All the best,

Mark P

druxey   

I'm not sure when those photographs (above) were taken, but the splitting seen is somewhat worse than my memory of her (I happen to have an eidetic memory). Despite the ravages of time, she is still the amazing model - as well as Longridge's book - that inspired me as a young person.

thank you for publishing those photos....longridge has long been a source of inspiration and his books are frequently being browsed thru.

ive never had the chance to see the model in the flesh and the photos in the book are pretty basic......so thank you again.

cheers....mick

mtaylor and Canute like this

Dan Vad   

Great photos Diadeczek :) . Count me out for the Restoration job, although there isn't any "dodgy" original work to replace ;) .

:cheers:  Danny

Canute and mtaylor like this

Mark P   

Hi everyone;

My greatest regret with the 'Victory' is that just before the battle of Trafalgar,  the beautiful stern galleries,  and the wonderfully carved figurehead were all ripped out and replaced with such utilitarian substitutes. 

If only they had still been there,  what a real delight she would be to look at now!

All the best,

Mark

Canute and mtaylor like this